What are the funniest things you have heard from a teller or someone about coins

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Please tell me what is the funniest thing you heard a teller or someone say about coins you were picking up or any coins in general.

My funniest was when I picked up a quarter by the side of a road and someone told me "It's a silver dollar." I then said it was a state quarter and he said "Those are collectable, right?" :laughing7:

I have no idea how you can mistake a quarter for a large dollar, but I think the person never even saw what a silver dollar looks like.

Upvote 0

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stop in a CU Ive never been to before today.

Me: Do you have any half dollars?

Teller: I have $30 in silver half dollars do you want them?

Me: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not one of them were silver, oh well I found a teller that must not be culling silver.

44_Dimes

Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So I called up to a bank near my house: "Hi do you have any rolls of half dollars?"
Female teller- "Yes we do"
"Are you sure? Full Rolls?"
"Yes"
So I went up to the bank:"I'm here to pick up the rolls of half dollars"
Female Teller from the Phone: "Oh we don't have any half dollars but we have these new dollar coins"
"Really? Because i just called up here and someone (as in her, but i didn't want to be rude) told me that you had some."
Male Teller:"Haha your not going to find any half dollars here. They don't even make them any more."

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I started going to a new bank this week. I've been to about 6 branches and they all either gave me CWRs or said they didn't have any. I went to a 7th branch for the first time this morning and asked for CWRs. The teller said she had some and while she was going to get them this obese woman, I'm guessing she's the manager, waddles over and told me that they can give them to me this time but next time they have to charge me. I didn't feel like getting into the whole "I'm saving you money since you don't have to pay to ship them out" but one of the other tellers who must have just started asked why they charge for coins. I guess the manager didn't think I was still listening because she said "have you ever carried cash and have you ever carried coins? Those things are heavy". Fat and lazy. I'll wait a few months and head back and see if the manatee is still working there.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Teller: "Hey, yeah we have halves, give me a minute."

*Hands me a bag with $100 in halves the size of ikes... because they're ikes.*

Me: "Uhh...."

I clarified the situation... they took them in as halves, paid as if they were halves, and would have extra money on their book if they had sold them to me as dollars and not halves. Pretty good score... there was a '22 Peace in that bag too. :D

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I clarified the situation... they took them in as halves, paid as if they were halves, and would have extra money on their book if they had sold them to me as dollars and not halves. Pretty good score... there was a '22 Peace in that bag too. :D

Why can't these tellers work at my banks!

Dark

Aug 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It was nice of you to be honest about it. :thumbsup:
i think the Peace dollar was your karma rewarding you.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
My best was probably when the teller handed over 10 rolls of half dollar while saying "you know there is no silver in there right?" I went to my car and opened 10 rolls of 40%ers and I was laughing all the way to the bank.

Golden Silver

LMAO! that is the best one yet. Congrats on the sweet find!

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
In 2011, I saw that a bank was selling ASEs so I asked how much they cost each. Teller replied "$80". I stared at her blankly and said, "I only wanted one". She then confirmed that the price was $80 each because they are pure silver.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
We don't have any half dollars, we only have whole dollars

Want some golden dollars?

How much are these silver eagles? Um... $57 (this was back when silver was ~$24 per ounce and they were uncirculated, not proof eagles)

You hit the hammer on the nail.

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Teller: are you collecting those silver coins?
Me: all coins are silver, right?
Teller: "tries to explain to me about pre 1940 silver coins"

:laughing9:

I had a teller try to explain "pre-1970 or 80" coins yesterday... I just smiled and nodded.

tlowery04

Apr 29, 2011
Cashion Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White Eagle II, Minelab ETrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
last night, also, I went to my usual bank, I've been banking there since i was six, and they also have a convenient coin counter in the lobby, I went in and since i couldn't deposit my coins, i bought a box of dimes.

Teller: Do you pick the silver out?
Me: Uh, Sometimes, Mostly I just try to help the nephews with their coin books and theres still a few i'm missing too.
Me: You wouldn't happen to have any half dollars would you?
Teller: No we don't get them very often.
Me: I would buy a box if you had them in the vault, they seem to be getting hard to find.
Teller: [calls another over] hey do we have any halfs in the vault, this guy collects them
Teller 2: No but w might be able to order them
Teller : So thats like 1000$ right?
Me: 500 I think, I've only been able to find one other and I only got 2 coins i needed out of it.
Teller 2: Well, I can probably get the business teller to order you a box of them, but you can't bring them back here. We have had a problem with people dumping huge amounts of coins in our little counter and it just tears it up with the wear and tear.
Me: No If I buy a box from you I'll be sure to take them somewhere else or spend them around town.
Teller 2: Ok, well give me your name and number and I'll call you if he can order them for you.
Teller: So you want those dimes right?

So now, because someone dumped a stupid amount of change at my home bank (not me), I can't turn in rolled coin (because of the slugs), and I cant use the coin counter, because i have too many coins. It had to be one of the funniest conversations I've had with a teller yet.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Oh, you probably don't want this one. It's old and dirty."

It was a '64 Ken.

I know that always kills me, I've had to nearly beg them to sell me "dirty" coins before. Although, there have also been times that's a tellers way of sniping right in front of you

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I had a nice young but ditsy teller say I got 10 of em but they are dark and dirty looking like they were in a fire or sumpin, you sure you want em ? she held 1 up to the glass - 1964 ken heavily tarnished --ya I'll take all 10 off your hands . :icon_thumright:

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I offered some guy $10 in line for $5 face of 1964 half dollars. I could here him playing with them in his pocket. He yells to the whole store...."there's a sucker born everyday, this guy is an idiot". The cashier asked why would you do that? I said they are silver, they are worth $130 for them all!

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
recently on a road trip:

teller "It sounded like silver, BUT IT'S NOT. The date is modern"
me "It's OK, I'll trade you for it still"

Got myself a circulated bicentennial 40% quarter - a first for me.

:)

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
Went to the window at a local Bank of America, asked for a box of dimes.. She says, "we can't give you a whole box." So I replied, "How much can y'all give me?" Then she got this small envelope used to put cash in, and says, as many as can fit in here." At this point I just stared at her for a good 10 seconds, then started busting out laughing.. She just watched me laugh, it was great!! I didn't say anything else to her after that, just drove off!! X)))

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to the window at a local Bank of America, asked for a box of dimes.. She says, "we can't give you a whole box." So I replied, "How much can y'all give me?" Then she got this small envelope used to put cash in, and says, as many as can fit in here." At this point I just stared at her for a good 10 seconds, then started busting out laughing.. She just watched me laugh, it was great!! I didn't say anything else to her after that, just drove off!! X)))

That seems pretty rude to me, but if everyone was smiling, then I suppose it's all good.

Why wouldn't you just take the envelope - you can fit at least $50 in one of those...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread