boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing when I read that. Lol.

I've never found anything on a larger scale than a few coins and relics. And I've only recently found the THcommunity, so my interaction with other hunters has been minimal. I wasn't sure if it would be frowned upon for me to try to cash in on something like this. And I don't consider myself an archeologist by any means so I don't want to be that guy that destroyed a nice piece of history. [emoji23]

As for treasure, I don't realisticly expect to find a motherload cache there. Mostly relics and possibly some coinage and gold. The mission that I believe this one to be was attacked and destroyed by natives, so definitely some personal affects left behind.

I have been to the location already. I didn't inform the owner that I was looking for anything particular, because I honestly didn't expect it to actually be there. I assumed it was wishful thinking on my part. I didn't have any of my equipment because it's a pain to get back there even without a pack. But I did identify wall foundations made from a type of clay mortar and stone, and what appears to be a perimeter mound. I just can't say for certain that it is what I think it is before I find some relics to date it.

The owner is a 'kind of' friend of the family. Money isn't something he is short on, and he's pretty easy going. I think I may tell him about it and offer him a portion of the keep. I suspect he'll laugh and thank me for the offer, then tell me I can keep what I find.

I do know he wouldn't take kindly to the state or university pushing into his land, so would it be wrong of me to keep the secret between him and myself?

I would definitely take pictures and document everything. I would just keep the location under wraps.

.....Oppinion?
Sounds good! In your first post it sounded like you had let the glint of treasure override everything else. Sometimes it's hard for us to see past the glint far enough to see what grief we can cause ourselves and others. Even if you come away with nothing but some pictures, you'll probably make a friend!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread