what do these diggins mean to u

R

ranger ricky

I was at a sight, an old ferry landing horse and buggy time where the steam boats would unload etc. also where and old warehoouse was, I ran into 10/15 holes dug out 3.5 ft. around there abouts, most that deep also. all were in an area maybe 150 foot circle IM new at detecting but was wondering if anyone had a idea as to the possibilites.

it wasnt easy digging because they were in the middle of saplings, by the judge of the ware id say this was done in the past 4 years or so.

when you get to a historical sight like this in a very poor poor area, KY,HILLS, exclamation point poverty. what type of setting would you set your detector to rule out or search only for brand new here, but a high dollar detector w/bells and whistles

OP
OP
R

ranger ricky

no not from a building project, to confined and erractic also done in the last few years in the middle of a very over grown area

CWnut

May 9, 2003
E. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro tigershark----Tesoro Conquistador Umax------Fisher FX-3----Master Hunter CX-Plus w/ depth multiplier
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody was screening the dirt in search of something. Arrowheads, maybe or bullets, coins or may have been searching for an old dump site to hunt bottles.

OP
OP
R

ranger ricky

your right i would find shovels lying about and they had something in mind to dig for because it was a lot of work, at first i wondered if they could have been indian graves but they didnt dig near deep enough, we do find lots of bottels in this area

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
back in the day the travelers going from place to place after getting of the ferry they would bury there money,gold,etc. so as not to get robbed they would bury their money for the return trip on the ferry make sence hu!DEKALB33 ;D

OP
OP
R

ranger ricky

these diggins are in an area with in site of the main goings on,
but in theory it may be an excuse to do some detecting a ways off this site

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I run into paintball foxholes in some of the woods around here. Some are old enough to leave one wondering about the possibilities. I've also run across dug privys and they are close to the dimensions you describe. But that many that close seems unlikely.

Check the oldest maps of the area and see if there was a small graveyard there. Small graveyards were often found near ferry sites for any number of reasons. Since these were often graves of convenience, they may have been shallow and could have been relocated at a later time. I work the nearby river at an old crossing that had two known graves, they were of two unknown soldiers who crossed there with Winfield Scott in pursuit of Blackhawk. From my homework, it seems that they were not the only ones who died thereabouts but are the only two known graves.

OP
OP
R

ranger ricky

could have been someone looking for an old grave but around these parts I find lots of grave plots as often and scattered about all will have some type of old rock as markers you can go up most long hollows and somewhere off the traveled path you will find the old gravesites, sometimes they arey only detected because of the grown up area they are in surrounded by clearings I guess ill go back and do some serious work,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread