What do you clean your detectors with after a hunt???

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
lumbercamp said:
I must be the odd one. I have never cleaned any of my detectors. They stay dirty from day one.

I must be the odd one. My unit never really got all that dirty, compared to some I have seen. I wiped it off with a damp cloth after it did get dirty. I used electrical tape on the speaker and around anything the sand could get into. I also gave it a coat of Raindance every now and then(old metal box jobs). I think Armorall would be good on the new units. At least it would make it easier, if it needed to be cleaned.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
The only thing i worry about is the bottom of the coil. make sure there is no dried mud or clay on it. Otherwise the box on my dfx has a cover from whites the weatherbeater. The only other part of my detector exposed is the shaft. As long as I can slide open to extent it stays dirty...like my gloves!

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
TEXAN Connection said:
Soak em in olive oil ;D

Or jam it into a potato.

I brush the dried dirt off by hand.... sometimes. I have rarely if ever taken the effort to "clean" it, like an actual cleaning event or something.

T

TreasureTales

Every Monday morrning I take mine to an auto detailer to have it washed, waxed, and coated with armor all. OK, I'm joking. Now for the truth: I remove the coil skuff cover about once every 3 years to remove the dirt that can accumulate there, I wipe off the excess mud and dirt with a damp cloth about once every 6 months, and I try to keep dirt out of the headphone jack when the headphones aren't plugged in (which isn't SOP). Other than that, I like it looking used - like a 4x4 that's covered in dirt - because I'm a genuine treasure hunter and I want my detector to reflect that fact. The foam grip is getting a bit frayed, so I'll have to determine how to replace it one day - but I'm thinking pipe insulation will work as an adequate replacement.

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
TreasureTales said:
The foam grip is getting a bit frayed, so I'll have to determine how to replace it one day - but I'm thinking pipe insulation will work as an adequate replacement.

I tried that and was not happy....

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota
after every hunt- clean MD and pinpointer with a damp rag. Store it in the house- -older ones in the garage- they stay dirty!!!
HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Montana Jim said:
TreasureTales said:
The foam grip is getting a bit frayed, so I'll have to determine how to replace it one day - but I'm thinking pipe insulation will work as an adequate replacement.

I tried that and was not happy....

mrs.oroblanco said:
My old White's handle got frayed, too. I bought a can of that liquid rubber stuff that you use to coat hammer handles, etc. Worked great. I actually did it twice, drying inbetween dips. Its nice and soft and foamy feeling.

B

Course, I also did my other tools!!

I'm starting to have the same problem with one of mine. Was thinking something like this might work.

http://www.gripworks.com/grip-wrap.htm

Think I'll check with Lowe's tonight and see what they have.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your detector is your friend and helper... Would you want to look all dirty and be clogged up with dirt and grime? I wouldn't, I keep my detector as clean as I can. Those nob's and electric boards inside can get dirty fast and to keep my detector in top condition I clean it offten with just water. If I can I take the box apart and clean the inside, I will.

Keep @ it and HH!!

T

TreasureTales

Hey stoney, thanks for the link - I bookmarked it. Please let us know how the stuff works, if you find it. It also looks like it might work as a replacement gasket around the door to my travel trailer. I love multipurpose stuff!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually fill my bath tub with treasure and give it a good treasure bath. ;)

Treasure.....bath tub...wait....i know...treasure bath...have this washed (History of the World Part II)

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welllll....my MXT has only been cleaned up once. :P I spent a little time with just water and a cloth right before I went on my Tnet hunt to MO. I sure didn't want everyone to think I wasn't taking good care of it. :D Might be time to take that coil cover off and see what's under there! :-X

Nana :D

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
This is my son's DFX after one hunt.

DirtyDFX.jpg

In this state it's best to let the caked on mud dry. Then it chips off easily! ;D ;D

After chipping the damp rag wipe works well.

Bob

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
Mine gets like that...I would just wipe the screen off in case he wants to look at it. Otherwise when it is crusty the mud just seems to fall off.

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
Jeez Mirage, thats pittiful, maybe we should do a dirtiest detector contest, youd def be in the running. It looks like my four wheeler
Mirage said:
This is my son's DFX after one hunt.

DirtyDFX.jpg

In this state it's best to let the caked on mud dry. Then it chips off easily! ;D ;D

After chipping the damp rag wipe works well.

Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions