What do you do when some rowdy beachgoers asks you to look for their Rolex.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every once in a while while wading the beach some rowdy types approach asking if I would hunt for their lost Rolex. I usually listen with interest and tell them to contact the lifeguard or manager and give their name an phone number so we can reach them if it is found or turned in. This usually gets them to play nice.

How do you handle stupid people. There is no bounty on them so ya shouldn't knock them out an drag them ashore. ;D

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, no. You've got it backwards. Knock them out and drag them offshore.

I'd tell them my fiinders fee is $10,000. ;)

Highwater

Nov 3, 2007
Shasta County, CA.
Detector(s) used
White's: XLT, MXT, Tesoro: Sand Shark, Tiger Shark. Fisher: 1266X. Minelab: Musketeer.
Sandman,
The best way to cut to the chase is tell them that there is a $25.00 looking fee and another $25.00 finding fee. If they are serious and really did loose something important then they won't mind paying. If someone really did loose something then it feels good to try to help find it. You can always offer the money back to them or keep it, it's up to you, but that is one way to cut to the chase.
For all the others: It is "put up or shut up". HH Highwater

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
The main thing is to protect yourself and your detector,

There is alot of curious people interested in what we do, And also we could be a easy target if we let our guard down.

I wear a shoulder harness bunge cord atached to my detector, The price these detectors go for could intice the wrong person to snach and run, and im not able to chase a crack head down.

I never show anyone jewelery that i found, But i always tell them i found a few penny's or a quarter.

I always try being nice to everyone that come's up to me, Now a day's you never know what it takes to make a person do something crazy.

When someone ask me to help them, if they are trying to get me to go away from the open beach, or i get bad vibes, I tell the person someone is paying me to locate a lost diamond ring and i will not be able to help them. ::) ::)

And i also bring up the subject

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
humm you lost a rolex today ? -- well I guess the one I found yesterday wasn't yours then. -- but thanks I'll check around here more after you leave. unless of course you want to "hire" me to look for it -- then its $25 per hour and the first hour must be paid now up front and I keep all finds other than the watch ---- Ivan

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I am hunting and someone that I feel honestly lost something there I will look for it for free for awhile I tell them. I usually have waterproof business cards in a pocket in my hat that I give them if I don't have the time to look right then or am suspicious. If they call me later I will "work" for them for a Fee. I usually charge $50.00 for two hours search payable in advance. This weeds out the fakers. Then it is up to me whether I return it to them or not. Sometimes I have to drive quite a ways to hunt for something. Many times I don't charge at all.

I manage a group of fellow detectorists that keep the county beaches clean. We sometimes all show up to look for the item just for a chance to hunt a property. By the way, the county pays us to clean the beaches, dry sand and swim areas. We use detectors in the water and a small screened sifter pulled by a garden tractor.

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always thought it a big shame that there are no bounties on certain people type pelts. But alas we live in an imperfect world.

Heck, if it weren't for the liberals just think about how smooth and boring this world would be? ;D

Anyway, I think you handled this Rolex thing well. Years ago when I did beaches the thing was to pitch pennies in my path or give me the lost diamond ring story.

Cheer up, we're in this thing together. ;)

Badge

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
What do you do when some rowdy beachgoers asks you to look for their Rolex?
I look for the Rolex Watch ???.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sandman, when I get hucksters like that, I tell them: "No, I haven't found your ring (or watch or whatever) yet, but HEY, did you happen to loose a wad of $100 bills all wrapped up in a rubber band?" To which the huckster will quickly reply "yes, did you find that??" And I say "No, but I DID find the rubber band that was around the wad of cash. You want that back?" ;D

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Tom_in_CA said:
Sandman, when I get hucksters like that, I tell them: "No, I haven't found your ring (or watch or whatever) yet, but HEY, did you happen to loose a wad of $100 bills all wrapped up in a rubber band?" To which the huckster will quickly reply "yes, did you find that??" And I say "No, but I DID find the rubber band that was around the wad of cash. You want that back?" ;D

Tom that's easy for you to say because you’re a freaking big and tall guy, and not many dudes on the beach will try to intimidate you. Now when the two bullies come up to a little guy like me, we just say I'll help you look for it, and then ease out when we can :). But they better not disrespect me or they might have another thing coming when I come back :-*.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
If if was pretty sure they were just trying to mess with me, I would just tell them my detector can't find watches because they are too big, or the ring is too small.

Some teenagers saw me coming up the beach one day and before I got to where they all sitting and watching they tossed a handfull of quarters, dimes and nickels in the water (they were all new and in one spot in front of these guys). I found all of the coins looked up at them and gave a wave and just kept on detecting. The joke was on them as they just increased my take for the day.

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
Lots of nutty people all over this country - not just on the beach. My philosophy is this - while detecting with headphones - you cannot hear everything that is going on around you - so I am always reminding myself to "CHECK YOUR SURROUNDINGS". I do carry a snub nose 38 special with me at all times. Some folks in this world cannot be trusted!

Bavarianminister

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some teenagers saw me coming up the beach one day and before I got to where they all sitting and watching they tossed a handfull of quarters, dimes and nickels in the water (they were all new and in one spot in front of these guys). I found all of the coins looked up at them and gave a wave and just kept on detecting. The joke was on them as they just increased my take for the day.

I had a similar experience except I was leaving for the day and walked right over them to come back the next morning to collect them. It was a fresh water beach and I doubt if anyone else detects there.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
lol I have had this happen to me several times, there is usually a floating kegger close. I think they more are playing a prank than anything. I just always say mmmmmm ok but I found one last week so I don't really need two, sweep it quickly pick up the change there of usually a couple bucks and move away sweeping. As I am going away I say thanks didn't find it but if I see others mding I will let tthem know about it. lol

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way too simple of a question. All you have to do is tell them you're sorry, but your metal detector doesn't have a watch frequency.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Since in sounds like they were Joking with you
By the Way you posted this,
I'd say they were probably just some Cool Kids,
trying to be Friendly. No Biggie

I would have Smiled and Said "Okeedoke :D
I'll let ya Know if I find it ;) " & start Swinging again.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I learn a long time ago , try not to make eye contact with people, They will leave alone. That works for me . I do have gun ,not a good idea for me to carry ,I'm Italian and from chicago. not a good mix ,,, Gun stays home . However the sunspot stealth scoop is a pretty good weapon And it will hurt somebody Big time . As far as hunting folks rings and watches , I tell them that my detector only detects coins , but I will try to find out where there Item was lost . Mama didn't raise no fool.. HH all Guzz1

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Years ago I read in W&E Treasures that a lost item is frequently NOT where a person suspects they lost it.

I recreational metal detect for ME.

Yet I COULD be for hire, quite easily...

Unless it is an iresistable young lady interested in active participation in the search,
I ask folks to write down their name & phone number, with description of item, on a scrap of paper and I'll be glad to call them if located.

When folks ask what I've found, I reply, "pennies and pulltabs, but I'd like to find a ring or something nice."
They are usually happy with that.

Young thugs are NOT anyone to be trivial with... even THEY do not know which way they will go, from one moment to the next.
It was not uncommon for an individual to be stabbed or shot on beaches I once lived at, especially in the evening, or at night. They are people, too, and are interested in things, same as the rest of us...
It only takes minutes at a beach to generate a handful of worthless trash that may be shown to anyone, or group that may confront you. Finding is common ground for all of us, as is the hope of finding something valuable. I've explained each bit of trash COULD have been a ring. That, usually brings an anecdote from the interested party, of something they had once lost.

Well, my two cents has gotten a bit long!
rmptr

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
Being female, I think I probably get less crap from people. I usually get the same kinds of questions/comments....Are you rich yet? Find anything? etc... I did have some teenagers toss out some coins once, and I just left the park. There are too many other great places to hunt to put up with stupid. I have to be careful where I hunt. I always look for places there are other people. It's not a good idea for me to hunt deserted places. I like to talk to people. I usually end up asking them a lot more questions than they ask me. Found my current ring honey hole just by taking the time to chit chat w/an old timers who told me the oldest swimming hole where I live......

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
Usually, when someone asks me to look for something, they offer me money up front, usually $20.00.

I always say yes, unless something does not feel right.

If something does not feel right I just leave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread