What do you do when some rowdy beachgoers asks you to look for their Rolex.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every once in a while while wading the beach some rowdy types approach asking if I would hunt for their lost Rolex. I usually listen with interest and tell them to contact the lifeguard or manager and give their name an phone number so we can reach them if it is found or turned in. This usually gets them to play nice.

How do you handle stupid people. There is no bounty on them so ya shouldn't knock them out an drag them ashore. ;D

Upvote 0

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
This one is for Guzz1; When I do not want to be bothered I do not make eye contact.

But that does not work for mexicans, when they are interested in you they stick to you like leeches.

It does not matter if you tell them that you do not want to be bothered.

A few times I had to leave a park or move to another section because of their constant invasion of my privacy.

NeilinFR

Oct 11, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 ltd
Minelab Etrac
Xterra 705
Shadow X5
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Well, Since in sounds like they were Joking with you
By the Way you posted this,
I'd say they were probably just some Cool Kids,
trying to be Friendly. No Biggie

I would have Smiled and Said "Okeedoke :D
I'll let ya Know if I find it ;) " & start Swinging again.

Thats what I have done in these situations. Laugh, be nice, just roll along. If I feel the person is sincere about loosing something, I will look for it for free, never charged anything to anyone for that.
I once spent two days, about 4 hours each day water hunting for a lost wedding ring for a girl and when I found it I wouldnt take a dime from her. I got a great hug though and made some nice friends and to this day its one of my most memorable hunts.
HH
Neil

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something chemical about getting a hug or kiss
on the cheek from a young girl for helping them out. :D

nothing perveted, just a feeling of self worth that can't be beat.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
freindly hugs from lovely young girls and licks from puppys with puppy breath -- beer and a t bone steak things that men like

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I suspect they are not sincere and are just being buttheads, I tell them "My going rate for searching is $50 first hour, $25 hour after that, with a deposit, and of course the item must be described before claiming".

If they are sincere and have lost an item, I return it if I can find it, free of charge....... :thumbsup:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
speak in a different language to em... I do it all the time... in french lmbo... parle vous francaise monsieur?

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that why i only hunt at night . not to deal with the public .....and if someone is looking for trouble at night ....there in trouble .... when i go at night i'm the only one there ....good luck pine

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just tell them my detector doesn't have a Rolex setting. :icon_jokercolor:

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
easy money..next time your in atlantic city..let me know...I sure could use ya as a hunting partner in that area.. I wouldnt even consider going there alone.. am serious ..

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only ran into a real lost item years ago. Found the ring for the girl, but didn't find the earing. Her boy friend offered me money, I wouldn't take it. The sly dog slipped a $20 in my trash pouch when we were talking.

As far as Mexicans sticking like leaches, if they speak any english, I will pull out my cell and act as though I'm calling immigration. Then make a remark, like I had to call work, then ask them "now what was your question?"

The worst problem to me is the little children who follow so close they are almost stepping on your coil, and drop to the ground and start digging when they hear your machine beep. If their mothers aren't riding herd on them I usually drop a pull tab or two kick them under the sand, remove my phones, beep the tab, make a remark like Jeeze not another hot wheels and walk away. Amazing how quickly a herd of kids can dig a pit!

When searching the rivers here, I carry. Concealed carry with permit is legal & open carry is legal also here. So, I carry when searching unless it's posted! Oh yeah! Always remember "I was in fear for my life" if it all goes bad. :icon_sunny: :icon_sunny:

Jim101

Mar 14, 2008
North Central Texas
EasyMoney,

I'm 6' 1" at 200......
Oregon is a beautiful state, I would really like to live there but, I don't think you have the high crime rate we have in the Dallas area. Car jackings, home invasions and just random killings are not that unusual around here. A number of months ago a couple of guys got into an argument at a bar, they all left, one guy stood up in his car (new Jag) through the sun roof and emptied an automatic AK-47 into the other guys car.....
Granted you should know the area you are MD'ing in, but I carry everywhere just in case...

Take care,

Jim

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rmptr said:
Years ago I read in W&E Treasures that a lost item is frequently NOT where a person suspects they lost it.

I recreational metal detect for ME.

Yet I COULD be for hire, quite easily...

Unless it is an iresistable young lady interested in active participation in the search,
I ask folks to write down their name & phone number, with description of item, on a scrap of paper and I'll be glad to call them if located.

When folks ask what I've found, I reply, "pennies and pulltabs, but I'd like to find a ring or something nice."
They are usually happy with that.

Young thugs are NOT anyone to be trivial with...  even THEY do not know which way they will go, from one moment to the next.
It was not uncommon for an individual to be stabbed or shot on beaches I once lived at, especially in the evening, or at night.  They are people, too, and are interested in things, same as the rest of us...
It only takes minutes at a beach to generate a handful of worthless trash that may be shown to anyone, or group that may confront you.  Finding is common ground for all of us, as is the hope of finding something valuable.  I've explained each bit of trash COULD have been a ring.  That, usually brings an anecdote from the interested party, of something they had once lost.

Well, my two cents has gotten a bit long!
rmptr

These are wise words here.  Thank you, rmptr. 

And after searching for many lost items for people, I agree with you--if it was where they thought they lost it, in many cases it'd already have been found.  :wink:

Jim101

Mar 14, 2008
North Central Texas
EasyMoney,

I agree with everything you said. I don't doubt that you can take care of yourself. If the wife and I get up to Oregon with our RV I'll let you know, I would like to shake your hand.
We are in the process of selling our house here and moving to Arkansas, above Little Rock, our son is in the Air Force and he and his wife are expecting their first child. We want to be close to them so we can help.

Take care and be safe,

Jim

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To be honest, and thank God, I haven't had a problem ever while out detecting. I have only had people come up and ask questions. Most of the time, like 80% of the time, they ask about what type of detector they should buy. The other 20% of the time is questions about what I am finding, most of the time from other treasure hunters that don't have their machine with them. I try not to make eye contact with people that might be looking for other reasons. I go around them like they don't exist. When I am out at night time on the beach, I keep one side of the headphones off my ear and keep a good eye on my surroundings.

Last weekend my wife was worried about me going to the beach so late, around 2:00 am, so I carried a weapon on me. I started to get worried when this guy started approaching me near some sand dunes. He got to within 5 feet and made a quick turn and took off. The moon was extremely bright that night. I thought for a moment that I may have to use my hand scoop as a weapon, anything else is a last resort. I know I look a little menacing, I'm almost 6 feet and at 225 pounds, and I go 4 days a week to the gym. (which all of that means nothing if someone wants to do something). My wife says, but joking, that I look like a gladiator with the detector and the scoop. When the guy made the quick turn, and I thanked God for it, I stopped for a minute to adjust my gear. I realized at that moment that my shirt had risen quite a bit and the grip of the weapon was showing. I felt bad at the moment thinking the guy was probably just wanting to ask if I was finding something and saw the grip sticking out.

Do I recommend carrying a weapon while out metal detecting at night, no. I do recommend to go with a friend. The only problem is I don't have many friends in the hobby, so .....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always carry at least one knife and many times 2 when I hunt beaches at night. I have a long filet knife I found in the surf one night and I carry it in my pouch like it's a current find, I also carry a divers knife strapped to my leg.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I lived in Ca. I used to search after 10pm. Never had a problem with bad guys, just cops wondering what's up and why I was on the beach after 11pm. ID answered their questions. But, someone walking up on me at 2 or 3 in the morning has my complete and undivided attention! Probably more attention than they want.

One of our old sayings was at 3am there's only 3 kinds of people out. Cops, Security guards, and people up to no good. We just left off the beach hunters

Jim101

Mar 14, 2008
North Central Texas
jpotter,

I'm guessing you hit the beach at 2:00 AM because, the tide is down? Or, you just can't sleep?

Easy Money,

When we get up there I'll bring a really good bottle of Tequila and we can swap stories...........

Jim

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

The tide was down and I thought nobody would be there to bother me. Here in Florida any beach you hit at any hour you will find somebody with a metal detector there....even at 2 in the morning on a Saturday. As for the question of sleep....kind of like tonight, I can't, too much to do and too little time.....

alexndad

Aug 14, 2007
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Starting out with Radio Shack
sandman....i figure that you are on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay/Calvert County...Do yourself a favor and charge $100 an hour for the first, $50 after that. I think that is equal to any tradesman that would visit your home....do not undervalue your experience! Good Luck and let me know......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread