What do you jewelry people thing about over 6 lbs of sterling for $1200

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a guy (a friend of a friend) who has over 6 Lbs of .925 sterling silver (about 6.3 Lbs) ** EDIT** He just told me its almost 7 Lbs & he will sell for $1200. Much of it is jewelry such as chains, pendants, charms, earrings, bracelets, rings & so on. He told me this & I quote.... "Most all of it is wearable jewelry. Tiffany & Co., Italy 925, Milor and more. I am sure it could be sold on Ebay for much more, I just don't have the time. Let me know if interested". He also said "very little of it has plastic or junk other than silver attached to it & he tried to send pieces with most of the junk on it.

He are a few sample pix of the type of items he has but its no where near all what he has. What do you silver & or jewelry people think? He is basically asking full melt value but I'm thinking surely there are pieces that are worth well more than melt especially if there are Tiffany pieces (as he says) or any Native American pieces not to mention other makers that sell for well more than melt. And lets not forget silver is really low right now, the stuff will go up, maybe drastically up in the next few years & I have the means to sit on it if I so choose. I could recoup some money on the name brand pieces right now & maybe still be sitting on a big pile of silver with very little if any money invested in it. I think its probably a can't go wrong deal what do you guys think?
Picture 33.png Picture 34.png Picture 35.png Picture 36.png Picture 37.png Picture 38.png Picture 39.png

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi inspectorgadget, good to see you posting. If these are the "junk" pieces then you should do just fine, especially if you can afford to hold onto most it, if need be. Like you said, silver is very low at the moment and there has to be some nice signed pieces in there that will sell for a good premium. Just make sure there isn't an overabundance of that Tiffany, it could spell trouble if ya know what I mean. Many fakes out there. I see some vintage pieces in there as well as a class ring or possible Military ring and a sharpshooter's badge for starters.

PS- Have you found any good glass worth mentioning lately?

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If .999 silver is $17.00 per oz... times .925 for sterling = $15.73 per oz..
6 x 12 oz = 72 oz.... x $15.73 = $1132.56 in silver value...

FYI...you are paying full silver value for this lot if you take it...

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi inspectorgadget, good to see you posting. If these are the "junk" pieces then you should do just fine, especially if you can afford to hold onto most it, if need be. Like you said, silver is very low at the moment and there has to be some nice signed pieces in there that will sell for a good premium. Just make sure there isn't an overabundance of that Tiffany, it could spell trouble if ya know what I mean. Many fakes out there. I see some vintage pieces in there as well as a class ring or possible Military ring and a sharpshooter's badge for starters.

PS- Have you found any good glass worth mentioning lately?

Thanks & thanks for that info. He didn't say there was a lot of Tiffany & I bet there is prolly only 1 or 2 pieces (at least thats what I expect). I've been quite pressed for time as of lately (the past few months). I've been over run with selling along with my normal Auction routine. And yes I have made numerous glass buys but a lot of it not exactly for cheap but for a good deal if you collect & I got some down right steals too. Heres some pix I haven't posted on here of some of it.

DSC04378.JPG DSC04385.JPG DSC04398.JPG DSC04399.JPG DSC04400.JPG DSC04401.JPG DSC04402.JPG DSC04403.JPG DSC04404.JPG DSC04406.JPG DSC04405.JPG DSC04408.JPG DSC04409.JPG DSC04413.JPG ssUntitled-1.jpg Untitled-3.jpg

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also got this for $1... Its a Mackenzie Childs leg to a tuffet or something & they do sell these legs separately as "factory seconds" if they don't meet quality control or something. They sell for $150 to $250 on eBay for ones a couple inches taller than this one, I have not got around to listing this one yet. Its older than any I've seen on eBay too, its actually vintage.

I also got this antique turn of the century Limoges Jardinier base for 50 cents (its marked D. C. France)... no one knew what it was. I bet I easily get $100+ for it maybe more they just don't hardly ever pop up for sale..

DSC04455.JPG DSC04454.JPG DSC04470.JPG DSC04468.JPG Picture 31.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If .999 silver is $17.00 per oz... times .925 for sterling = $15.73 per oz..
6 x 12 oz = 72 oz.... x $15.73 = $1132.56 in silver value...

FYI...you are paying full silver value for this lot if you take it...

It wouldn't be because he is not talking troy lbs, he is talking a normal pound & he has almost 7 lbs once he reweighed it. (Its more than 6 1/2 lbs) so its like 86 troy ounces figuring it at 6.5 normal lbs that = $1352.78 melt & I'm fine with paying spot or close to spot at what spot is now. I can sit on $1200 with no problem but there are some pieces I might be able to sell at well above melt & recoup a nice chunk of that $1200 in the short term & still have a nice stockpile to add to my present stockpile for when silver hits $40+ an oz again.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
16 oz to regular pound... troy 12 oz to pound...

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Troy ounce = 31.1 grams

Ounce = 28.3 grams

Spot price of silver is in Troy ounces

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's a lot of silver! my only concern would be that some is not real silver or if there is a lot of other things in there, like stones and whatnot. but if you know this person pretty well, then it seems like a buy to me if you can afford to hold onto the lot until silver goes up or you sell some pieces to recoup your cost. 8-)

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said he pictured most anything that had anything significant "extra" attached things such as plastic beads or or stones. He assured me there was not much "extra" non silver pieces on or with the silver. He said I am welcome to look it over extremely well & I can test every piece if I so choose. The guy is a pretty well off business man.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A troy lb is 373.24 grams where as a standard pound is 453.59237 grams & 453.59237 grams = 14 troy ounces so your calculation was correct except is should have been $15.73 per oz of .925.. 6 x 14 troy oz's = 84 oz's = $1321.32 @ $15.73 per oz, (not 6 x 12 troy oz's which = 72 troy oz's. And again there is closer to 7 lbs than it is to 6 lbs so I'll just call or consider that extra weight over 6 lbs crap or plastic junk weight.

Last edited:

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, not a chance in Hades. Many items in the pictures are not even silver or Alpaca or Chinese cheap junk that I would not pay a penny for.

There are some nice pieces in there, but not for that price tag. Claiming it is all silver is bogus, for example note the pin with the three cats? That's a piece by "far fetched" and it's not silver. Many other pieces there that would put your magnet into overload!

For the money, there are far better deals out there. This looks kinda like a precious metals buyer junk clearing house with just enough good stuff to make the sale. JMO.

GREAT GLASS!!!

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, not a chance in Hades. Many items in the pictures are not even silver or Alpaca or Chinese cheap junk that I would not pay a penny for.

There are some nice pieces in there, but not for that price tag. Claiming it is all silver is bogus, for example note the pin with the three cats? That's a piece by "far fetched" and it's not silver. Many other pieces there that would put your magnet into overload!

For the money, there are far better deals out there. This looks kinda like a precious metals buyer junk clearing house with just enough good stuff to make the sale. JMO.

GREAT GLASS!!!

Thanks War, I got some nice pieces of glass the past few months for sure!

I'm not sure where he got the stuff but as far as I know he wasn't a precious metal buyer but I don't know that for 100% certain because I agree that is sure what it looks like to me too! I think he buys at auctions, he's a few towns away & I don't go to auctions in his area so I'm not sure. Sometimes small silver items don't bring anything at onsite estate auctions around here.. 1/2 spot or less is not unusual unless its something special. The larger auction houses are a different story as they usually get at least spot or very close to if not well more than spot on some flatware or unique jewelry, & or other cool odds & ends.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He said he pictured most anything that had anything significant "extra" attached things such as plastic beads or or stones. He assured me there was not much "extra" non silver pieces on or with the silver. He said I am welcome to look it over extremely well & I can test every piece if I so choose. The guy is a pretty well off business man.

GREAT GLASS!!!
I don't agree with your other statements though. The photos your looking at are the bottom of the barrel so to speak according to the seller. If the rest of the lot looks like this then I would agree. Too many tiny and insignificant pieces to deal with. I do agree that many of the pieces in the photos are one and two dollar items, especially the earrings. Tiny chains and little pendants and earrings are not really worth much (melt) unless they are made by a popular designer. They are usually a hard sell, but if the guy is willing to let him search through and check each piece if need be then there is no reason to "run" from the deal. Just gotta make sure there are enough good pieces in the lot to make up for the many insignificant pieces that are only worth their weight.

ps- I dare to say you cannot tell an Alpaca piece from a sterling silver piece in those photos though. Also, i'm not familiar with that particular cat brooch but "Far Fetched" made plenty of sterling and sterling/brass pieces.

Gadget- I agree, great glass finds! I'm envious. Are those flasks MMA repros?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy it! Id rather buy it at 1000 due to issues already mentioned, but if there are some quality pieces in there you should be able to double your money at a minimum.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gadget- I agree, great glass finds! I'm envious. Are those flasks MMA repros?

yes digg they are all 4 marked MMA, 2 are hand etched & 2 are acid etched & each has a different pattern that doesn't show up well in the pic but I got the 4 along with a flat full of other misc items all for $7.50 so repros or not (& I knew they were before I bought em) it was easily worth it as they are worth, or at least sell for $15 to $25 each (sometimes even more but not often). The blue opaline dolphin/koi vase remains a mystery other than it is assumed it is Portieux Vallerysthal but I have never seen another example like this one & neither has any other dealer or collector that has seen a pic of it. The art deco Egyptian decorated custard glass wall pocket piece is also quite the mystery.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes digg they are all 4 marked MMA, 2 are hand etched & 2 are acid etched & each has a different pattern that doesn't show up well in the pic but I got the 4 along with a flat full of other misc items all for $7.50 so repros or not (& I knew they were before I bought em) it was easily worth it as they are worth, or at least sell for $15 to $25 each (sometimes even more but not often). The blue opaline dolphin/koi vase remains a mystery other than it is assumed it is Portieux Vallerysthal but I have never seen another example like this one & neither has any other dealer or collector that has seen a pic of it. The art deco Egyptian decorated custard glass wall pocket piece is also quite the mystery.
I sold that same Amethyst flask for $29.99 earlier this year, that is why I asked. They looked familiar. Anything MMA sells, even non glass items. I probably have at least a half dozen (off the top of my head) unidentified pieces of glass, including a piece of opal glass I found today. I found a small vaseline glass "jar" shaped like a strawberry (lidded), I can't find anything like it either, been searching for a few months. I should start a thread for people to post their unidentified pieces of glass.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd check it out for sure, check the marks and bring a couple big magnets. The lobster claws may stick a little (the springs inside), but otherwise I think you'd get a pretty good idea.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm gonna have to go against the group consensus here...

I would pass.

That is a lot of small pieces to try and move. Are you prepared to move that kind of volume? Do you have the time and resources available for such an undertaking?

I think there is money to be made here but I just don't see tieing up $1200 when there is certainly "lower hanging fruit" out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread