what do you think of this ebay listing???

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
It seems obvious to all of us that this is an intentional scam. Chances are though, if someone does indeed buy from this seller, they likely will be happy with what they get.

Anyone who dumps halves by spending them retail knows that there are a lot of people out there falling over themselves to get their hands on ordinary clad half dollars (aka 50-cent pieces). There is a perception that they are rare. Technically, because they are rarely seen by most people they are truly rare in that sense. Because of that, my bet is that anyone who reads the details of the auction and still buys them not only gets what they deserve, but actually is getting what they want and will have no complaints.

When I was young and uniformed, I kept every half dollar I ever came across. I grew up in the 80's, so it wasn't many. When I learned of CRH'ing, I obviously started by searching my own hoard - there was not a single silver in $180 worth. I've since dumped those. However, my wife, who also grew up in the '80s, also had a hoard ($340 worth). I've searched those as well - nothing. Although she understands that they are only worth face and has seen me run many 10's of thousands of dollars worth of halves through the house, she won't let me dump her worthless "collection." I've only brought it up a couple of times and I'm sure at some point she will come around, but in her mind they are special. Most people think that way.

Shame on the seller for doing what he/she is doing, but I doubt there will be much backlash from buyers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread