What got you into Coin Roll Hunting?? Add your story here!!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody, I am starting this thread to see how we got into this wonderful hobby? Everybody has a different story, some personal, some not.

I'll start off...
Way back then, I was around 5 years old. My father and I went to a chinese take out restaurant, I always stood on a chair to peek over the high counter to watch the chefs cook, all the fire was quite amusing, the people were always friendly to my family and I. The chair happened to be right over the cash register. The register was opened so I peeked in since the chefs were done their cooking. I noticed a "BEAVER NICKEL" referring to a Canadian Nickel... I must have yelled it to my father a little too loud, and the owner came over and gave me the nickel as well as a few other foreign coins they had in their drawer. I ended up with about 10 coins, a canadian quarter, a hong kong coin and some other asian coins. This got me HOOKED. I still go to this chinese restaurant to this day, all these years, the best food around.

I then showed my grandfather the coins, he then remembered he had a bunch of coins saved from when he was in the Phillipines in WW2, he gave them to me as well as his father's collection from Europe in WW1. This was passed down to me with a decent amount of silver coins which I had not realized the value until around 8 years old. I started CRH'ing since I was 8.

When I was 8, my father took me to the bank, I asked the teller if they had foreign coins, HA. they didn't, but I then asked for 5 rolls of pennies, my father bought them for me, i found 20 wheat pennies, and it all started from there...

Share your story!!
HH,
Buff

p.s. the buffalo nickel from my grandfather really sparked my interest in old american coins, thus my name on here, BuffaloBoy... When I was a boy, the buffalo nickel got me into collecting US coins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have always been a collector. I have collected any imaginable stuff from butterflies to old bottles. I always had a passion for coins. I saw a lot of people on you tube and in the blog community talking about silver and how the dollar is being devalued. I found a guy on you tube ( I still remember his channel: "cutlerylover") explaining about the silver Kennedy half-dollars and the rest is history.

lovewiibrew

Mar 18, 2011
Eastern US
Seems a lot of replies involve seeing a youtube vid about CRH. Not sure why anyone would want to advertise to the world about this hobby. Don't get me wrong, I welcome new faces but why would anyone want to bring new competition?

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems a lot of replies involve seeing a youtube vid about CRH. Not sure why anyone would want to advertise to the world about this hobby. Don't get me wrong, I welcome new faces but why would anyone want to bring new competition?

Valid point. I personally found out about this hobby through Youtube. I've always had an interest in collecting coins and I recently received a few Buffalos and Mercs from my father-in-law. I did a search on Youtube for "silver coin collection" and most of the videos mentioned CRH. I guess bragging about your finds on Youtube can make you feel good about yourself but at the same time you are exposing people to an already limited hobby.

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Valid point. I personally found out about this hobby through Youtube. I've always had an interest in collecting coins and I recently received a few Buffalos and Mercs from my father-in-law. I did a search on Youtube for "silver coin collection" and most of the videos mentioned CRH. I guess bragging about your finds on Youtube can make you feel good about yourself but at the same time you are exposing people to an already limited hobby.

I think that the threat of more people getting into the hobby is not that big. This hobby is not for everybody. I have collected almost 130 ounces this year so I can say that I have been very lucky, the very few people that know what I am doing think that it is a waste of time and energy even with my great results. A lot of people are too busy others are to shy to go to a bank and order big amounts of coins and then go to another bank and dump them. Most people that see the youtube videos will CRhunt 2 or 3 times and then will drop the hobby. Your really need to like doing this when you search $12000 and turn all to be skunks full of clad and not silver. If we think about it this forum is the biggest advertise for people to get into the hobby. Most people cant do big volumes and that is what it pay off so I dont think that a few people here and there will make a big difference.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Well for me it was when I really realized that the dollar was not backed by anything (and therefore will eventually return to its intrinsic value) and so I looked for solid things to put my money in. Buying physical oil isn't really easy, gold and platinum were too expensive for me at that time, so I settled on silver. I bought a few rounds and a few silver dollars and as I was researching it more and more I came to the realization that there were silver coins that looked just like the "normal" coins you find in circulation all the time and surely there were people who didn't know that they were silver and would cash them in at face value at a bank. I went to the bank and got rolls of quarters, halves and dimes and have been searching them ever since.

RUSSIANPAUL

Apr 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A contractor stopped by my desk last year (I work in IT), and saw that i had a coin book on my desk. I was just flipping through the red book to check out different coins, because i wanted to see if i can go to a flea market and get some on the cheap. This is when silver was going up last year. He told me that he metal detects in the summer, and when its cold, him and his kids get boxes of Pennies and he has them sort by year and look for errors. He mentioned that he has 100s of error pennies, some smaller errors, some double dies. I told him that i was looking to buy a metal detector myself, which i did 2 weeks later. The rest is history as well. I started with a box of pennies, which quickly gave me a headache. I followed that up with buying a coin sorter, of which i got tired really quickly as well. Then i found this site, bought a box of dimes at TD bank and that was that. Now i do halves strictly about 12/month.
A few people mentioned about too many people and youtube videos being posted. I had the same opinion until last week. I picked up 8 boxes of coins from the same bank, and each one had between $5-6 oz in silver. I had enders of walkers, bens, 40%. I got rolls with 4 silvers/per. None of the coins were marked, and i did not see any coins past 1996. I do not know where they came from, as this is the same bank i am getting coins from all of the time. The only explanation i can come up with is that so many people ordered coins, that they had to tap into some pallet in the back of some facility somewhere. I have never seen anything like that, and i have not taken any pictures. However, i promptly got 8 more boxes of which i opened 2 and did not see any enders.

Oh Well!

Keep on Searching.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the threat of more people getting into the hobby is not that big. This hobby is not for everybody. I have collected almost 130 ounces this year so I can say that I have been very lucky, the very few people that know what I am doing think that it is a waste of time and energy even with my great results. A lot of people are too busy others are to shy to go to a bank and order big amounts of coins and then go to another bank and dump them. Most people that see the youtube videos will CRhunt 2 or 3 times and then will drop the hobby. Your really need to like doing this when you search $12000 and turn all to be skunks full of clad and not silver. If we think about it this forum is the biggest advertise for people to get into the hobby. Most people cant do big volumes and that is what it pay off so I dont think that a few people here and there will make a big difference.

I think you're spot on, we will get some new permanent hunters from the youtube videos and a bunch of people who will try a few rolls once and never do it again. They don't have what it takes. That may sound silly, but let's face it, we deal with a lot

cohoesdude

Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been collecting since a boy in the sixties. In january, 2012 I got a silver Roosevelt dime first at the local gas station and then at a chinese restuarant within 1 week! I started to wonder if there was still enough silver out there to make it worthwhile to search for. I began searching rolls of dimes in March and I am shocked by the results. I have found over 350 silver dimes; 100 of which have been Mercury dimes. At 3 different banks I even found an entire roll of silver dimes. I even found a 1902-s Barber dime. I don't know if this was an estate clean out, robbery or what. Recently I checked a bank for half dollars getting $440.00 in customer wrapped rolls which is all they had. I found 33 BU+ 90% silver Halfs (7 of which were Franklins and 1 Walking Liberty) and 80 MS quality 40% Kennedy halfs that looked as if they were just minted. Yes silver is still out there!

Adamkir

Aug 19, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Former Rep. Of the 9th district of New York Anthony Weiner said buying gold and silver is a scam. I thought wow what a d-bag how could a precious metal not increase in value over time while the fed is busy quantitatively easing of economy through the purchasing of billions in our own bonds. I thought of Weimar Republic and its hyperinflation and thought investing in solid assets was in order. Then I decided to search rolls for silver after watching a show on the Internet about penny horders and trying that. I saved $70 fv in pennys and noticed the quantity of wheat pennies people have left in circulation. I thought there has to be silver to. I was right. About two months later and 20 ozt richer I'm glad I tried..

Goldmedalexchange

Aug 31, 2012
St Louis
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My history of coin collecting has gone back many of years as I would collect coins and paper currency that "you just dont see everyday" I'd pull silver coins and foreign coins and some older series bills, but recently I opened a gold and silver buying shop and have come to know the value of silver and how valuable it can be to have, I've have hundreds of Oz's come through my shop and have had people buy thousands of dollars worth at a time, and so somehow I stumbled upon this forum and the YouTube videos and for me it's a strong combination of the "thrill of the hunt" the "collecting" and the beginnings of me having some solid assets for when SHTF.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread