Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
IS a subject a large number of members care about.

Not only cared about ,but,needed.Just as soon as something is kicked into high gear,sorry to say but,there wont be anymore treasure hunting or metal detecting.Every day that goes by more and more land will be made off limits.Its happening now and its going to gather speed and get worse.Some know what I'm talking about,others havent a clue.Theyre the ones I feel sorry for.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NH and some others here may be looking at this in the wrong way. It is impossible for any member or small group of members to get anything banned here. What these people did was point out the content and context of what was being posted on those threads. It is that content that got the forums booted.

Had Forum Foundry looked into the complaints and found no grounds to intervene the threads would still be up and running.

if anyone wants to complain "hey we were saying things and acting in a way that wasn't appropriate for a national multi racial, multi cultural audience until some people got offended and brought it to the owner's attention, and ruined it for us!" That would be a valid complaint.

But being upset that others here who realized that much of the content was inappropriate for the general metal detecting audience is misdirected.

More so this forum is, in the end, a business. Business is ill advised to support political or religious commentary.

Yes. And its so interesting how some people feel they have total license to post any inappropriate material they choose, as long as they feel it promotes their agenda. Forum Foundry wisely recognized what the situation was, and corrected it, and I sincerely thank them for that!

"if someone else dosn't see it my way it's their problem, not mine." That should have been the motto for the now deleted forum. "My way or the highway" would have been a good one as well.

I think that all of this is funny. I have lasted through a few purges,, there was a time when you had to pay to visit the forums you complain about.. But the bitter complaints were always the same.. "I am offended" "these topics have nothing to do with treasure hunting.. But I llok at them because I have no will power, and I am now offended" pretty much all the same.

But during all of this time, there remains one constant, no matter the thread,, no matter the forum, Someone says something extremely political, and claims that it isn't. If you look closely you can find political bias everywhere, even the long running threads. Sometimes it is as simple as "thank goodness the second forum is gone", sometimes it is more along the lines of " a group that doesn't believe in a government takeover", and other times a simple smugness that some members use when they claim to be highly educated and want to show you why you are inferior in your beliefs.

Now you may think that is an easy thing to point out, But I can tell you it isn't, I have tried in the past. Political correctness precludes the rational deduction it takes to see that these posts beg to be discussed in the daylight.
Here is a simple one I see everyday." Those evil greedy corporations....." Do we have to just suck it up and agree? Yep. because that is one of the political discussions that is a universal truth to the ill informed.

Off My soapbox. Wonder if I need to start pointing out the offensive posts on every thread again? Maybe this time I should go to the mods instead of posting a rebuttal.. But dang it seems to work good when you post a "I am Offended", and follow it up to a mod,, And then follow that up with a note to the owners?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been there, done that. That gun "Law" has been scrapped. Cost too much money.
The difference between the two countries is FEAR.
We Canucks get a gun to go hunting not out of fear that someone will do us harm.
And we definitely don't buy guns to protect ourselves from the big bad government.
See my avatar? The trapper is holding a flintlock.
That's what we use guns for.

Oh, and By the way Mudd - You are welcome! If it were not for those big bad neighbors to your south. You would be speaking Russian, German or Arabic. So, congrats on the benefits of being so close to THE GREATEST COUNTRY on the face of the earth.

congratulations-2.gif

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well regardless of which side of the fence you're on one thing should be very clear to the administration here. 8 pages and 156 responses to a thread that was begun yesterday should show them this IS a subject a large number of members care about.

Great point too. You know there were many times I would get to the page listing the forums, Most of them showing 1, 0,3, 1, members viewing. And you look at the 2nd forum? 80 or more? Even in slow times 14 to 20? Looks like a punch in the face to the old cash cow advertising, huh?

Sorry,, meant to say "and guests"! How much revenue,, how many people joined just to either post for the topics,, or to cry about them in their 2nd post ever?

You would think that would mean something too.. maybe someone should do some # crunching?

Last edited:

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think that all of this is funny. I have lasted through a few purges,, there was a time when you had to pay to visit the forums you complain about.. But the bitter complaints were always the same.. "I am offended" "these topics have nothing to do with treasure hunting.. But I llok at them because I have no will power, and I am now offended" pretty much all the same.

But during all of this time, there remains one constant, no matter the thread,, no matter the forum, Someone says something extremely political, and claims that it isn't. If you look closely you can find political bias everywhere, even the long running threads. Sometimes it is as simple as "thank goodness the second forum is gone", sometimes it is more along the lines of " a group that doesn't believe in a government takeover", and other times a simple smugness that some members use when they claim to be highly educated and want to show you why you are inferior in your beliefs.

Now you may think that is an easy thing to point out, But I can tell you it isn't, I have tried in the past. Political correctness precludes the rational deduction it takes to see that these posts beg to be discussed in the daylight.
Here is a simple one I see everyday." Those evil greedy corporations....." Do we have to just suck it up and agree? Yep. because that is one of the political discussions that is a universal truth to the ill informed.

Off My soapbox. Wonder if I need to start pointing out the offensive posts on every thread again? Maybe this time I should go to the mods instead of posting a rebuttal.. But dang it seems to work good when you post a "I am Offended", and follow it up to a mod,, And then follow that up with a note to the owners?

So, is that what happened then Dave? Someone contacted the owners of the site and reported some of the content on the site? I'm only asking because I honestly don't know what transpired.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, and By the way Mudd - You are welcome! If it were not for those big bad neighbors to your south. You would be speaking Russian, German or Arabic. So, congrats on the benefits of being so close to THE GREATEST COUNTRY on the face of the earth.

View attachment 920488

I wish that I had as much rope here as some do...

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Not only cared about ,but,needed.Just as soon as something is kicked into high gear,sorry to say but,there wont be anymore treasure hunting or metal detecting.Every day that goes by more and more land will be made off limits.Its happening now and its going to gather speed and get worse.Some know what I'm talking about,others havent a clue.Theyre the ones I feel sorry for.

I don't know how to say this without being political, so hopefully people will get the drift. Of the two major parties in Oregon, one has on there platform that the concept of private land as we now know it needs to be changed. I live in Oregon, and that scares the crap out of me. And out here on the left coast they seem to win all the time, and have the power in Oregon now. Not quite as looney as California, but rapidly getting there.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, is that what happened then Dave? Someone contacted the owners of the site and reported some of the content on the site? I'm only asking because I honestly don't know what transpired.

I can name 2 members,, By memory, that said that they were taking screen shots and making sure the owners knew they were offended. How many more? bet there were 6 or 7 doing that. And judging by the rah rah cheer leading going on it shows sides were picked.

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how to say this without being political, so hopefully people will get the drift. Of the two major parties in Oregon, one has on there platform that the concept of private land as we now know it needs to be changed. I live in Oregon, and that scares the crap out of me. And out here on the left coast they seem to win all the time, and have the power in Oregon now. Not quite as looney as California, but rapidly getting there.

This is a big deal.. If you change "private property" and " ownership", you have beaten America.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was out of the site for one day and my 2nd Ammend. forum was gone! I guess that's life in the fast lane and yes, the owners who pay the bills around here have the final say/decision on everything. It was their decision to make, but please allow me to voice my great opposition to that decision. Hopefully, after reading all the posts here in opposition to that forum's removal, we'll have an A&E and Phil Robertson/Duck Dynasty type of decision on our hands and that after reading/listening to all those still in favor of that forum, the decision will be reversed. It's never a good thing when the minor few get to dictate to the majority and that's exactly what appears to have happened here through their complaints. Life isn't always just easy going and all cum-by-yah, and an anti PC stand in favor of the majority needs to be taken by those in power, be it on a national level or on a much smaller level such as this site, unless of course that minority view is that of those in power no matter what level it is. Just my humble and non political personal view.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can name 2 members,, By memory, that said that they were taking screen shots and making sure the owners knew they were offended. How many more? bet there were 6 or 7 doing that. And judging by the rah rah cheer leading going on it shows sides were picked.

Yep,sounds about right( er left)

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who was that comedian, that used to have the skit about, how you should be allowed to slap stupid people?
But, of course, they have some lead way, if they are wearing their button that says, I'm stupid.
That's when you claim blindness. :laughing7:

My mother had a cure for anything she didn't deem "appropriate", had a few "tools of implementation", too! :laughing7:

Pain can be an effective deterrent. :laughing7:

jmaryt

Feb 6, 2007
this is true! case in point!
check your neighbor!..''generally"
it's yay for me,and "screw everyone else!
why is this?...i believe "most" are afraid,because they cannot be sure
if their neighbor,or ANYONE else is truly sane anymore!..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I can do is tell you the truth, if you don't want to believe it - that's your issue. I notice if you are attacked, you fight back. Strange how that works eh?

Nope, I don't take any of this as an attack nor am I fighting back.
Just stating my opinion.
I can see from your next post with the big smiley face that you are trying to bait me.
Do you think you're the first American to use the "If it wasn't for us, you'd be speaking German, blah, blah?"
I'm not going to fall for that one!
I know political hotheads need to start fights to feel more sure of themselves.
Not me. Have fun in the "GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE!"
:laughing7:

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, I don't take any of this as an attack nor am I fighting back.
Just stating my opinion.
I can see from your next post with the big smiley face that you are trying to bait me.
Do you think you're the first American to use the "If it wasn't for us, you'd be speaking German, blah, blah?"
I'm not going to fall for that one!
I know political hotheads need to start fights to feel more sure of themselves.
Not me. Have fun in the "GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WHOLE UNIVERSE!"
:laughing7:

Thanks Muddy - Have fun in the tundra!!!

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

[h=2]Idiom Definitions for 'Squeaky wheel gets the grease'[/h]
When people say that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, they mean that the person who complains or protests the loudest attracts attention and service.

Read more at Squeaky wheel gets the grease - Idiom Definition - UsingEnglish.com

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ringfinder! I know Winnipeg is sooooo much colder than Minnesota!
Have a good one!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah Mud - It's currently a balmy -2, thinking about a dive under the ice! I think your at -20 or so? Moving south as soon as possible!!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooo, my reply was deleted why? Because I mentioned whining? Something that has been stated a dozen times in this thread already, by more than one member? Please explain yourself, whomever you may be.

Not to mention some personal sparring between a few here. Yet you choose mine in all your wisdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread