What hobby do you do in the winter ?

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
So as not all of us live somewhere that does not freeze in winter, I was wondering what hobby or hobbies everybody else engages in during the deep freeze ?

This winter my wife and I plan on doing something I loved as a kid in the 70's, and that's racing slot cars.
I have a bunch somewhere in my mothers basement, but until I can find them today we bought a kit that has 2 cars in it that you assemble. which is more satisfying than buying a pre-built car.

A new slot car business opened near our home recently, and seeing it triggered many fond memories of times past.
I had a paper route back then so I used my own money, seeing as allowance wasn't given, rather earned.
the kit was only 60 dollars, and in having your own cars the track fee is only 5 dollars per hour, so it will be a fun cheap hobby this winter.
this is the kit.
View attachment 1058522

View attachment 1058527

So I'd like to hear what others enjoy during the freeze.

Mike

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, seeing how I'm also in Michigan, and work outdoors year round, for me its...fur trapping! I'm weird in the sense that I am most comfortable in zero degree weather - anything warmer than 10-20 degrees and I sweat!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Virginia if the ground isnt frozen....i detect.....i also like to hunt early winter....late winter i hunt deer sheds.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is " WINTER "?
In winter we switch from flip flops to sandals and t-shirts from 100% cotton to 50/50 cotton....

Sand-duner

Nov 24, 2009
Sequim, WA
Detector(s) used
BH Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never had "winter" until I moved to Washington. Although, even in Florida, my "off-season" hobby was rebuilding vintage motorcycles. Don't have one this year unfortunately, but here's to hoping next winter I do.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eat, Hibernate, Eat and Grumble about the Cold.

Besides that I'm here on my Computer & Re-researching.

Oh did I mention I eat ?

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deer hunting takes priority for a couple of months, but here in Tennessee we can still go detecting for most of the winter. The ground freeze comes and goes but still get openings in even hard winter.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Summer is diving season here. I do more beach metal detecting in the winter.

Fishing is a year-round constant, although I tend to book more guide trips during the winter tourist season.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In winter I complain about the cold from November until May, dream about detecting and complain some more about winter.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This Winter I'm killing yellow jacket nests and poison oak!

Darrow

Jul 22, 2014
Sherman, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 550, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to the Crater of Diamonds next week and will bring back several buckets of gravel to sort during the fall. Should be getting my MD parks permit tomorrow, so will hunt the parks over the winter. I knit otherwise.

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt fish also. Winter down here is the best time to hunt

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Build & work on R/C airplanes, occasionally fly on skis off the snow, collect vintage broadheads (bowhunting), hunt deer & grouse, go for walks and shoot stumps with my bow, homebrew beer, haul water out to the chickens and sheep, catch up on a zillion Honey-does, cross-country ski, snowshoe, go to regional archery events and the occasional traditional archery bunny hunts (more fun than you can imagine with thirty guys and few endangered bunnys).

DSCN1154_zps2650e896.jpg

The old farts take turns driving the rabbits to the youngsters and then we give them a chance to push the brush piles and warm up.

DSCN1150_zps87e92ea1.jpg

$60 buy-in for adults and the proceeds (after a good chili feed and breakfast the next morning) goes to St. Jude's Children's Hospital.

Auriemma

Jul 24, 2014
SE PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Sov XS; Sov XS2 Pro ; XS2a Pro ; E-TRAC; Profind 25, Garrett PP AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I play guitar... Like I have since I was 6, regardless of season.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread