What hobby do you do in the winter ?

wanting rings

Aug 9, 2014
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's adjustable sand scoop, Bounty Hunter quick Draw(back up 1), Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250(kids), & a tracker IV(Kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
So as not all of us live somewhere that does not freeze in winter, I was wondering what hobby or hobbies everybody else engages in during the deep freeze ?

This winter my wife and I plan on doing something I loved as a kid in the 70's, and that's racing slot cars.
I have a bunch somewhere in my mothers basement, but until I can find them today we bought a kit that has 2 cars in it that you assemble. which is more satisfying than buying a pre-built car.

A new slot car business opened near our home recently, and seeing it triggered many fond memories of times past.
I had a paper route back then so I used my own money, seeing as allowance wasn't given, rather earned.
the kit was only 60 dollars, and in having your own cars the track fee is only 5 dollars per hour, so it will be a fun cheap hobby this winter.
this is the kit.
View attachment 1058522

View attachment 1058527

So I'd like to hear what others enjoy during the freeze.

Mike

You have brought back memories of my past. Slotcars use to be a popular sport. I use to maintain the track equipment at one track. Fixed the 120vac to 12vdc converters and the timers. They had 3 ten lane tracks with scheduled races. I also use to build controllers for the racers. One favorite trick to get an edge was to remove about 2 wraps from each pole of the armature. It really increased the speed. Burnout specials. Maybe some of the good old days are returning. Frank 111-1 profile.jpg

DFX DAVE in M.D.

Oct 15, 2004
Upper Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember Slot Cars they sold them in Delaware in Mitchels Department store, what a variety they had from clothes to hobbies, such as slot cars, plastic car model kits, toy train sets and accesories, model rocket kits with the A,B,C and D engines to fly them. They had a slot car, I forget the name it was premium with 2 engines, G Force or something, I will google it later.

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank god i can detect year round.Just gets a little cooler and nicer in the winter.Nice looking guns higgy looks like you do great work.

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
We (wife and I) do research on burried caches. She searches genealogy records and I search other stuff. Also I mount and frame her landscape photo work to sell come spring.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh I long for that day when I can have a winter home in Arizona, and still have our cottage north for the summer.

Mike

I actually like PA so Much, (even when I hate it, I like it) I long for the day I can create Permanent Global Warming,
at least over the tri-County area here

Last edited:

G. I. Digger

Jun 19, 2008
Jefferson Hills, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO/Tesoro Sand Shark, NEL Storm Coil, Garmin GPS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Higgy! I build remote controlled airplanes and I search international frequencys while coping morse code. I just had my vintage military R391 restored and it is beautiful. If anyone is sending anything it will find it! Night searching works the best as signals skip in the atomsphere.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spend time doing detecting research, of course, but also spend the winter time doing family history research. I am fortunate to have diverse and interesting bunch of ancestors, including former slaves, native Americans, and Revolutionary and Civil War soldiers.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I spend time doing detecting research, of course, but also spend the winter time doing family history research. I am fortunate to have diverse and interesting bunch of ancestors, including former slaves, native Americans, and Revolutionary and Civil War soldiers.

My wife is the consummate genealogist. She studies and studies and researches, and writes, and she never tires of it. If I could only get her to research caches and THing stuff, I'd be rich!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ahh I long for that day when I can have a winter home in Arizona, and still have our cottage north for the summer.

Mike
Plenty of people do it all the time. They are called Snowbirds. They live in motorhomes or tow trailers.
All you need are two lots with hookups, or stay at campgrounds. Frank five star.png

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is the consummate genealogist. She studies and studies and researches, and writes, and she never tires of it. If I could only get her to research caches and THing stuff, I'd be rich!

If your wife has not yet done a DNA test, let her know that she should. While it does tell you your various ethnic backgrounds, the real benefit to a genealogist is that it is able to match your results against others in their database and connect you with people related to you. I found a huge amount of family and family history this way.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Plenty of people do it all the time. They are called Snowbirds. They live in motorhomes or tow trailers.
All you need are two lots with hookups, or stay at campgrounds. Frank View attachment 1059683

Everything that I have seen, and read about, but never experienced (so what I say is based on that), is the snowbird lived a fairly meager existence just to avoid the snow. I honestly could not leave my childrens and grandchildrens to do this... but I dream of it nonetheless. How pure a life it would be to stave off winter chills by simply moving south and back north again when it gets too hot down there. :icon_thumright:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HIi BC 1969; Here in Boston our actual digging season starts in September and goes to May. I'm out in the woods inn the middle of winter all year long until may digging. The ground in the woods here almost never freezes allowing us that kind of digging. I've been known to sleep in the middle of the woods in winter during snow storms etc because we are well protected from the elements except the cold wind during the wind. We basically hunt Colonial cellar holes and Battle sites that occurred in the woods. They were running type battles with Indians during the 1600's. We have a great time. Thanks for the inquiry. PEACE:RONB

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HIi BC 1969; Here in Boston our actual digging season starts in September and goes to May. I'm out in the woods inn the middle of winter all year long until may digging. The ground in the woods here almost never freezes allowing us that kind of digging. I've been known to sleep in the middle of the woods in winter during snow storms etc because we are well protected from the elements except the cold wind during the wind. We basically hunt Colonial cellar holes and Battle sites that occurred in the woods. They were running type battles with Indians during the 1600's. We have a great time. Thanks for the inquiry. PEACE:RONB

I wish I could say the same for up here, Ron. The ground here freezes shortly after the first frost and you cant even get a shovel into it, much less a lesche hand trowel. I usually take the time between hard-ground, and frozen water to water hunt until I just cant stand it anymore. The water cools off a little slower it seems, so there is some time.

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually spend the winter tinkering with the motorcycles and I hope this year to complete a vintage bicycle project that I am working on. When it is not to cold to be it the garage that is.

JimK

Attachments

• me.jpg
    me.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 75
  • her bike now.jpg
    her bike now.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 77
  • hdbike.jpg
    hdbike.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 71

DutchDiggers!®

Aug 29, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III Master Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
we live in Holland so winters are freak'n cold out here!
so no teccing in mid winter for us..
but since im a antique oddities dealer i use winter time to hunt flea markets n sort with my kid to reload our stock.

its really similar to digging..only without a teccie! haha
solo catches by 'eye'!

oh..n o'course drinkin some beers..oh wait..do that in summer too..ma bad! lol

cheers mate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread