Pretty cool hobby your in.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Here's another one. Not sure if it's anything or not.

Attachments

• Snapshot 1 (3-15-2013 1-01 PM).png
    Snapshot 1 (3-15-2013 1-01 PM).png
    70 KB · Views: 251

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Glad you're finally out on that spot, Ed. All the best to you guys. Unfortunately, unless it's obvious, sometimes you gotta dive to know what it is.

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Sorry Old Man, but they didn't enhance enough using photoshop to make much of a difference.
Aquanut

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
John, just sent you one by email. I don't know if you can do anything with it. There's a bunch of black objects in about a 30 foot or so area. I don't know if they are ballast stones covered with sand or silver bars. The camera is too far away.

The picture was taken near latitude 30 degrees, where someone said the Jesus Maria 1589 might be. Who knows ? I'm just an unsksilled Redneck.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For what it is worth, I see the last photo posted as a piece of Iron plate that was dumped overboard and is not relative to any shipwreck

I see the second posted photo as wreckage of a mid 1800's merchant ship. Commerce from New England to New Orleans, appears tohave been heavy during that period. In 1860 the light house keeper at Tortuga, reported a hundred sails passing by in one day.

The ring, posted in the first photo appears to be made of Copper, and is a part of this shipwreck.

I don't see this as a Treasure ship, and probably not worth the time & money for a salvage effort. Just my humble opinion. Dell

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
For what it is worth, I see the last photo posted as a piece of Iron plate that was dumped overboard and is not relative to any shipwreck

I see the second posted photo as wreckage of a mid 1800's merchant ship. Commerce from New England to New Orleans, appears tohave been heavy during that period. In 1860 the light house keeper at Tortuga, reported a hundred sails passing by in one day.

The ring, posted in the first photo appears to be made of Copper, and is a part of this shipwreck.

I don't see this as a Treasure ship, and probably not worth the time & money for a salvage effort. Just my humble opinion. Dell

Dell thanks, What I don't understand is the pictures below. It is the only thing that I could get an archeologist to ID and give me a time window on. I was told that it is a Spanish Olive Jar dated between 1550 and 1650. I'm only going by what I was told. Any ideas???

Attachments

• Snapshot 28 (1-21-2013 3-08 PM).png
    Snapshot 28 (1-21-2013 3-08 PM).png
    89.3 KB · Views: 150
  • Snapshot 29 (1-21-2013 3-09 PM).png
    Snapshot 29 (1-21-2013 3-09 PM).png
    91.7 KB · Views: 156

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now you are cooking! What I am picking up in this image agrees with the Archaeologist. It is an Olive jar from a Spanish shipwreck, located about 150 feet from the jar, sank circa 1657. There are cannon, and there is Treasure. Coincidently, the 1800's shipwreck is in the same vicinity.

The image appears to show scattered wreckage to the right, a few exposed ballast stones, possibly some Lead sheathing and another olive jar at the top Dell

Attachments

• 514721f6-2.jpg
    514721f6-2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a very long shot, of course, but it could be one of the lost ships of the 1641 plate fleet. Survivors accounts seem to indicate that at least some of the vessels sank in deeper water while others ran aground.

If you are even slightly convinced the object is an olive jar and date range is accurate, the "worth pursuing" question is, IMHO, a resounding YES.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast

Thanks Dell, I always thought there was the possibility of wreckage from 2 different wrecks in the site. I just have one more question for you. Do you see any Green Stones in your dowsing??? The drop camera was attached to a down rigger ball and on one of the drops it hit an olive jar and what looked like about half a dozen little green stones were seen when the silt cleared.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't attempted to go into the detail of this wreck but off hand they seemed to be carrying about 8 lbs of Emeralds.

In the area of the olive jar image there appears to be a metal container with about 2 lbs of Emerald.

In the image area of the Iron plate, there appears to be just a few loose Emerald scattered in the silt. At this moment I might assume a box broke open and Emeralds were scattered with the current.

Please understand that my first impressions are not necessarily accurate and the information I pick up is subject to be modified as more information is acquired.

As more work is done a picture of the wreck and it's origin, and sometimes a story begins to evolve as each detail of the scatter pattern is plotted. Every thing is speculation until evidence is recovered. The only thing I can say for sure is there are the remains of a shipwreck there. But, you already know this. Dell

ADD: This ship seems to have sank during a hurricane. There doesn't seem to have been any survivors. Three ships sailing together, two ships sank, one made it to port. I don't see this ship as being the "Jesus Maria".

You may be right about the Silver Bars. It's worth taking a better look.

This may not be correct but the idea is to get a starting point for research to see if anything fits.

Using a B&W drop camera? Why weren't you using a color camera? They are relatively inexpensive. Dell

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I haven't attempted to go into the detail of this wreck but off hand they seemed to be carrying about 8 lbs of Emeralds.

In the area of the olive jar image there appears to be a metal container with about 2 lbs of Emerald.

In the image area of the Iron plate, there appears to be just a few loose Emerald scattered in the silt. At this moment I might assume a box broke open and Emeralds were scattered with the current.

Please understand that my first impressions are not necessarily accurate and the information I pick up is subject to be modified as more information is acquired.

As more work is done a picture of the wreck and it's origin, and sometimes a story begins to evolve as each detail of the scatter pattern is plotted. Every thing is speculation until evidence is recovered. The only thing I can say for sure is there are the remains of a shipwreck there. But, you already know this. Dell

ADD: This ship seems to have sank during a hurricane. There doesn't seem to have been any survivors. Three ships sailing together, two ships sank, one made it to port. I don't see this ship as being the "Jesus Maria".

You may be right about the Silver Bars. It's worth taking a better look.

This may not be correct but the idea is to get a starting point for research to see if anything fits.

Using a B&W drop camera? Why weren't you using a color camera? They are relatively inexpensive. Dell

Dell, I was using a color camera. I just didn't have the lights on for these pictures. I guess I just lost color after being down at a certain depth.

If this turns out to be worth anything, I think I'll invite anyone to check it out that wants to and anything that I salvage. I'll return to the original Country of Origin. ie... Mexico, Peru, etc... Might as well start a new trend. Hope to see some of you at the annual picnic.:anchor:

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome. Thank you for sharing your find. Keep us updated.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Robert, Like John has always said, it's about time that we all join forces on a project instead of going in opposite directions. Anyone that wants to join in is welcome. As soon as the seas calm down, I'll be back out there and anyone interested is welcome on the project.

Attachments

• Snapshot 8 (12-11-2012 4-05 PM).png
    Snapshot 8 (12-11-2012 4-05 PM).png
    70.3 KB · Views: 125

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Ed, when I was partners with Tim Swieckowski our main project was to find the 1589 fleet. We sent a researcher to Spain and he got over 10,000 pages of documents on this fleet. There was a total of 14 ships that sank in this fleet including the four big galleons Jesus Maria commanded by Capt. Francisco Salvago, the La Trinidad commanded by Capt. Martin Monte, the Capitana of Honduras owned by Toribio Descalante and the flagship of the fleet, the Santa Catalina commanded by Admiral Alvaro Flores. Each one of the galleons are said to be worth over $1.3 BILLION! The Jesus Maria broke apart on the high seas and sank with all hands, no survivors. I have a chart where I plotted the daily course from one of he surviving ships logbook and I think they sank off the FL/GA border in 700' of water. Let me know if I can be of any help.

OP
OP
O

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Hey Ed, when I was partners with Tim Swieckowski our main project was to find the 1589 fleet. We sent a researcher to Spain and he got over 10,000 pages of documents on this fleet. There was a total of 14 ships that sank in this fleet including the four big galleons Jesus Maria commanded by Capt. Francisco Salvago, the La Trinidad commanded by Capt. Martin Monte, the Capitana of Honduras owned by Toribio Descalante and the flagship of the fleet, the Santa Catalina commanded by Admiral Alvaro Flores. Each one of the galleons are said to be worth over $1.3 BILLION! The Jesus Maria broke apart on the high seas and sank with all hands, no survivors. I have a chart where I plotted the daily course from one of he surviving ships logbook and I think they sank off the FL/GA border in 700' of water. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Pete, I met Tim and Burt Killbride many years ago in Tim's home. Both Great Guys. I'd be interested in seeing some of the info from the log book and talking to you. One thing is for sure the wreck is near the Ga/FL border and it is in International waters. The funny thing is, I have a copy of a commercial fisherman's sea chart and he lists 2 other
""snags" within several miles of this wreck site. Maybe nothing and maybe the 2 other ships that are missing. Time will tell. I'll be in touch and hopefully we can all meet up at the annual picnic this year.

Dell Winders

Jan 18, 2012
Haines City, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old man,I apologize. I wasn't paying attention to detail. I should have realized the photos were taken with a color camera. Sorry! Dell

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread