What is the best coin detector?

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
You opened Pandora's box now!!!! You'll probably get as many different answers as people that reply. Most metal detectors are geared towards coins, so any upper end machine should have no problem finding them. Whatever bells and whistles you may need will help you decide. Good luck!!!!
Greg

cyeager

Feb 20, 2007
Ausie Minelabs go deeper. But obviously have quirks in certain types of soil.
Whites are more general. Can do more. Just not as deep. Also somewhat simpler. Therefore, somewhat slower. MXT can Beach, Gold, Relics/Coins.

I went whites MXT. And proud of it...
But most Coiner's would blow 400+ more for a Minelab. I just did not want a specific machine.

M

miser

Here's my two cents:

The White's M6. Its easy to use, very accurate, and pinpointing is a breeze!

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the explorers are very very nice, but they are not for everyone. they can be complicated, and are a bit heavy. they are also a slow swing machine. if that stuff doesnt bother you, that is what i like. the dfx is also an awesome machine.

PENNYHUNTER

Aug 19, 2007
Orangvalle
Detector(s) used
explorer se,excal 1000,whites MXT,and a E-trac
I would have to go with minelab, explorer or even the extera-70. whites are nice, but did you know whites bought the technology for the DFX from minelab, So if you where minelab would you sell you're best stuff to you're competitor. I don't think so, so that tells me minelabs detector are probably Superior to the whites.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
My self i really like ...Minelabs... and 2 nd. ... Tesoro.. Not untill Minelab came out with the ...Multi. Frequencies Detectors....and...Double-D..Coils..none of the other Detector Company's. had any.After Minelab came out with the Multi. & double-D they all want to jump on the band wagon and i think ...Minelab beats them all.........

Mainedigger

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's M6 & Prizm III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends on what you wanna spend. All the detectors will find you coins. As for White's I am a linglong customer of theirs, both for the quality fo their detectors and for their exceptional service. I now use a Whites M6 and LOVE it and it has found its fair share of nice old coins sincce I got it a few months ago. I had, and still have for a backup, a White's Prizm III and that detector found me a ton of old coins and is simple to use and is alot less expensive than some of White's higher end machines.

Whatever machine you decide on will get you some nice finds, the key is researching where to go, and putting the time in once you find a site and gridding it out to get good coverage on it. Then hit any spot you get some good finds again and again...Good luck!!!! ;D

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't go wrong with the DFX. You have three ways to identify your coins, SignaGraph, VDI#, Tone ID. It is normally pretty easy to tell the difference between a penny, dime and quarter. The pinpointing and depth readings are excellent. Besides coins, it is good with everything else too.

Now if you are going to hunt in the water you may want a waterproof machine.

dlindsay

Jan 28, 2007
Western Ky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT , DFX and others
I started out with the XLT, was the top of the line Whites machine at the time. It paid out the first year with clad finds.
Now have 2 DFX's also.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
eathabs said:
DFX-Gregg said:
I do ok with the dfx...

LOL!!

How many 100+ days have you had in the last three months???

I know I have more than 25...100 coin days this year......also set goals for that...had 225 coins today...

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think DFX-Gregg has the answer..Hard to argue with his totals. He is a coin magnate. You can see what he uses..lol

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
SC_hunter said:
I think DFX-Gregg has the answer..Hard to argue with his totals. He is a coin magnate. You can see what he uses..lol

Just imagine what he would get if he used a Minelab!

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joecoin said:
SC_hunter said:

LOL....I won't touch that one....

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
joecoin said:
SC_hunter said:

I have wondered that too...also I hunted with a coil that had a broken cable....I did not know what was wrong...blamed the hard ground during summer...was still getting finds but nothing past 3.0 also started to notice some surface finds were not even being read! :( I hit a lot of ground that month...as soon as coil was replaced everything got a lot better.... :)

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
DFX-Gregg said:
joecoin said:
SC_hunter said:

I have wondered that too...also I hunted with a coil that had a broken cable....I did not know what was wrong...blamed the hard ground during summer...was still getting finds but nothing past 3.0 also started to notice some surface finds were not even being read! :( I hit a lot of ground that month...as soon as coil was replaced everything got a lot better.... :)

Yeah, I've heard that those dfx's get a lot of broken cables...

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
The new coils cable they sent me has a thick end right before the pin plug in...guess it adds a little flexibility...

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
joecoin said:
SC_hunter said:

i would bet it would be about the same. the minelabs and whites are both excellent.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions