12.7 KB · Views: 2,168
  • Whites M6.jpg
    Whites M6.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 2,169

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Best machine is whatever one appeals to you, you like the look and feel, and you can afford.

They all are good nowadays and can be 'tweaked' to be essentially identical in performance to each other. Some are good in some types of soil, others excel in other types. No one machine is the best of the best hands down, but even the ones that don't score #1 in a category, don't miss by very much.

FWIW, I use an Spectrum XLT that is about 12 years old. I dug a 3 cent piece at 14 inches with the thing already, so yes they can go deep if you know how to work them. My friend with a CZ6 at the time, 'seen' the target, just didn't quite get a lock on it to make him say, ok im gonna dig this. About 15 minutes later im walking back to the car and hear a blip, swing a few times to ID it, and dug it up. :D

Two weeks later in the same general area, he nails an old large cent at about the same depth, (this time he decided to dig 'that kind' of signal). Moral of the story is, two different manufacturers, two different machines, both machines 'found' the coin, but it was the operator of the machine that made the difference between a find and a skunk. That is the most important factor in whether you find em or not is learning how to use properly... whatever machine you get.

Aaron

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know an old guy that uses a white's coinmaster III. I've never seen anyone, with any machine, DFX, Minelab, take your pick, that can out coinshoot him. I watched him hunt over ground that these machines just passed right in front of him and find coins they've passed up.

Here's the tip you should have gotten way upstream, and here's what he told me.

1. Buy a good quality detector.

2. Learn what the machine is telling you. aka, know thy machine.

It's as simple as that.

NC_Horn

Mar 17, 2005
Burlington, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, White's Silver Eagle
Kas said:
I know an old guy that uses a white's coinmaster III. I've never seen anyone, with any machine DFX, Minelab, take your pick, that can out coinshoot him. I watched him hunt over ground that these machine just passed right in front of him and find coins thay've passed up.

Here's the tip you should have gotten way upstream, and here's what he told me.

1. Buy a good quality detector.

2. Learn what the machine is telling you. aka, know thy machine.

It's as simple as that.

NUFF SAID

cyeager

Feb 20, 2007
MXT for versatility. DFX for parks and places where definition of discrimination can be very specific. XLT falls close.
M6 has nice tone features. Can be a life saver for the eye's... Really great versatility yet not quite a MXT. Good machine.
Pick based on your interests.... ground type / metal type

Who knows... You may require a PI for your interests.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm an MXT user and I would argue that if you're going to be doing mostly coins a Tesoro Cibola or Silver uMax. My son is learning to use my Cibola and its working out great for him. What better endorsement than easy to learn for a Third Grader?

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one in the photo below is the best:
detector collection.jpg

Nickel_Buff1935

Jun 1, 2007
NY
Detector(s) used
MINELAB X-Terra 50 & WHITE'S MXT
BuckleBoy said:

I plan to buy one of each to make sure I have the best machine...

Forget about being good with any one machine...

I just wanna own the best machine...

Did that sound dumb enough???

;D

Go buy any one of the machines mentioned in this thread and swing that bad bear until you know it inside out ;)

HH

Nickel_B

R

robert roy

Its hard to say which is the BEST detector. There are so many good quality detectors on the market right now and more coming! The one's being talked about the most right now is the Ace 250, the Fisher F4 and Whites MXT. Whites Prizms are ok but to my knowledge you can't buy a smaller coil for them. You're locked in.

Also Fisher is coming out this year with what is said to be an Ace 250 killer: The F2, a scaled down version of the F4.

If you just want to unt coins, you can't beat the Ace 250 for that. You can pick it up for $212.00 and the 4.5' sniper coild for abother $60. You'll want to have the sniper coil. Trust me on that. When you have a lot of trash like pull tabs and foil a bigger coil will not do!!!

HOWEVER, you might find as many people do that they grow out of their machines quickly and want something better. The Ace won't find everything anyway. I took my MXT out today to a soccer field that I have hunted now for the last two weeks so useing only the Ace 250. I wanted to see how well my MXT would do. I just could NOT believe all the coins I missed with my Ace. I used only a 5.3 inch coil on the MXT and found stuff that my Ace just didn't notice.

Go to metaldetectorreviews.net to see what others have to say about their detectors. Also go to www.losttreasure.net and click on Field Reports.

Below is a handful of clad with some trinkets I picked up at the soccer field today in about a couple of hours. Its not alot but it shows how well the MXT can preform after having used the Ace 250 on the same area for two weeks.

Attachments

• Clad.jpg
    Clad.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,863
  • Clad.jpg
    Clad.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 1,858

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
BuckleBoy said:
I love the photo of .....all the detectors....really cool.............................==Jim==

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
PENNYHUNTER said:
but did you know whites bought the technology for the DFX from minelab

I'm inclined here to quote my great Uncle Dutch: "Don't eat that, Elmer, that's horse $hit.."

I'd like to see some references supporting your contention, because I flat-out don't believe it.

Phillip_in_NM

Jul 15, 2006
Land of Enchantment
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's M6, Nokta Legend, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMHO, almost any detector can be a coin-killer in the hands of someone who knows how to use it.

Having said that, and having used almost all the top of the line machines, my all time favorite is the White's M6. The tones are great, the VDI's are wonderfully accurate, and NOTHING pinpoints like the M6.

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
O.K I'm probably about to get my head chewed off BUT:
quote "
and NOTHING pinpoints like the M6."
I own a simple "wal-mart" (as some call it )BH Pioneer 505.
I simply cant understand what all the fuss is about pin pointing???????
my cheapo tells me theres a coin at 4 inches, I swing it over the spot it "rang"
in an "X" and dig. There it is. I really wonder what all these machines are doing?
Tell me,,,,,,,,,,do they "beep" and what ever makes the machine beep is in another spot? i admit there are times when it tells me something is a 50 cent piece and its a smashed coke can, but the smashed coke can is right where it beeped??????? Enlighten me please.

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shane, it has a lot to do with the coil designs. A concentric is easier to pinpoint than some eliptical. A small coil is easier than some large coils,but!!!! its not difficult to learn to pinpoint with a eliptical or larger coil, just a bit of practice is all it takes.
HH
John
PS, edited because I forgot to sign off

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
shanegalang said:
O.K I'm probably about to get my head chewed off BUT:
quote "
and NOTHING pinpoints like the M6."
I own a simple "wal-mart" (as some call it )BH Pioneer 505.
I simply cant understand what all the fuss is about pin pointing???????
my cheapo tells me theres a coin at 4 inches, I swing it over the spot it "rang"
in an "X" and dig. There it is. I really wonder what all these machines are doing?
Tell me,,,,,,,,,,do they "beep" and what ever makes the machine beep is in another spot? i admit there are times when it tells me something is a 50 cent piece and its a smashed coke can, but the smashed coke can is right where it beeped??????? Enlighten me please.

LMAO... You're right! Very funny...

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol, ok,I missed the punch line. After re reading that is funny, I thought Shane was being serious. But thats good cause that means we gonna have a good time at the Bayou Hunt!!!!!
John

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
PENNYHUNTER said:
I would have to go with minelab, explorer or even the extera-70. whites are nice, but did you know whites bought the technology for the DFX from minelab, So if you where minelab would you sell you're best stuff to you're competitor. I don't think so, so that tells me minelabs detector are probably Superior to the whites.

I've read many posts and heard that White's never purchased the DFX technology from Minelab (just a rumor).

I can't say either way, but that's what is now said in many posts.

Thanks and HH!!! ;)

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
Gator01 I WAS serious.......I dont know if its South La soil or what but I never have a pinpointing problem. My BH may not get the depth of others or whatnot but it sure tells me in all metal mode exactly where the object under the coil is.
I have a Tesoro on the way.......anxious to compare the 2 to see the extra 100s of dollars I just spent come into play! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread