What is the best metal detector ?

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to buy a good metal detector, recommendations, or suggestions as to which may be the "best" ? I hate adding a budget, because it makes people think about what they are going to suggest. Any budget, but I would like to keep it under $1000 (unless there is something that definitely worth the price).

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
the best

I'm going to buy a good metal detector, recommendations, or suggestions as to which may be the "best" ? I hate adding a budget, because it makes people think about what they are going to suggest. Any budget, but I would like to keep it under $1000 (unless there is something that definitely worth the price).

The "best" ? Well everyone KNOWS (of course), that it's the Explorer II. Because, of course, we all know your goals (where your searching and what you're searching for). See how easy that was? :headbang:

deteknix

Jul 22, 2013
Covina, CA
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS Pro-pointer
Ace 350
White's 6000DI pro
Rangar
Tesoro Cortes
Bounty Hunter Camo LS
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is depend on where you use and what you are looking for. Some detectorists have multi detectors. For gold nugget ,coins , or beach hunting...
Hope it help.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish there was a best one. Seems like I need at least five and usually have more. Best for what? I have several detectors because each is better than the others at some particular task.

But seriously, it is more about you than the machine. There are many good do-it-all detectors. The well known popular models are all close in performance, which is why each has a justified fan club. The secret is applying yourself to whatever detector you get, learning it well and using it often, and above all, putting yourself in good locations.

I sure am glad I do not have to own just one detector. I could do it but I would be giving up a lot.

OP
OP
50cent

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the replies so far guys. Best all purpose, I mainly will be using it for coins, jewelery buried relatively near surface. The explorer II looks like the real ticket, any other opinions on this?

HobbyMan

Sep 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, XP DEUS, Golden Mask 4 Pro, Teknetics Eurotek Pro 11'' DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The XP DEUS is the best VLF metal detector on the market at the moment. Does not have a competition at all! I have E-Trac and XP DEUS and believe me the DEUS is much more faster. The fastest detector on the market. The E-trac and the explorers are not suitable at all for iron infested sites. Of course in the $1000 range there is other good detectors like Fisher F75.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The XP DEUS is the best VLF metal detector on the market at the moment. Does not have a competition at all! I have E-Trac and XP DEUS and believe me the DEUS is much more faster. The fastest detector on the market. The E-trac and the explorers are not suitable at all for iron infested sites. Of course in the $1000 range there is other good detectors like Fisher F75.

Fast recovery doesn't always equal a better machine. Iron infested sites is where the Etrac shines for me over the past single freq machines I've owned. It's one of the main reasons I purchased it. The manual says 4 seconds minimum per swing, some say 10 seconds or more.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Choosing a first detector is especially hard for a beginner. All detectors can be used on the land and DRY SAND at a beach, but getting near the wet saltwater sand gives most single frequency detectors fits. The Etrac shines for both worlds, unless you think you'll get it wet. Cover the controls with a plastic baggie if near the surf. Some say the Etrac is hard for a beginner to learn, but I don't think so if you try to use it often.

Then again you could try a lower featured unit so as to not waste money if this hobby isn't for you. Visit the manufacturers websites to first learn what the line up offers. Stick to the main brands like, Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro, Minelab and White's. Remember you don't need a screen to tell you what the detector thinks it is as the dumb thing only measures conductivity of the metal and not what it really is. If your like most of us, you'll soon buy another one anyway cause its fun to play with toys.

Try to visit a detector dealer with a store front so you can hold a few to better decide. All the dealers sell at very near the same price and some toss in pouches, etc.

Good Luck,
Sandman

Last edited:

HobbyMan

Sep 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fast recovery doesn't always equal a better machine. Iron infested sites is where the Etrac shines for me over the past single freq machines I've owned. It's one of the main reasons I purchased it. The manual says 4 seconds minimum per swing, some say 10 seconds or more.

I have them both. Swing the e-trac 30 seconds, if you wont, it just can note compare in target separation and recovery speed with the DEUS. I have the e-trac and it is a good detector, but believe me it just can not compare with the DEUS in speed, even in depth, if you get the DEUS bigger coil.
You can check my test videos for speed and separation of both detectors:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Thanks for the replies so far guys. Best all purpose, I mainly will be using it for coins, jewelery buried relatively near surface. The explorer II looks like the real ticket, any other opinions on this?

ford vs chevy question. As you can see already, you'll get as many answers to this, as you find people-to-answer. The explorer II is a very fluty sounding hard-to-learn machine (will drive you crazy at first). But you can usually find one for less than $1k on flea-bay. Try to get one with the sunray in-line probe on there. I find my Explorer II to be versatile enough for just about everything.

Sometimes though, when I get into a real iron infested area, or some super cluttered area like under bleachers, I reach for my silver sabre II.

HobbyMan

Sep 7, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fisher F5 with 11" DD coil is also very good detector. Probably the best detector under $600:

Fisher F5 DD Metal Detector For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

and I can bet it is more efficient for coin shooting then the minelabs in iron infested sites.
Of course the Minelab FBS technology is probably the best choice for wet beaches.

Last edited:

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
The best detector is the one the owner has the most fun, likes and knows.

You say your using it for coin and jewelry hunting so a high price detector would be a waste of money when cheaper models will do the trick.
So an F4, F5 or any Tesoro would be good imo.
I'm extremely happy with my Tesoro Outlaw and it comes with 3 coils, so you'd have all areas covered. $550

One thing though although I loved my Explorer SE is it couldn't pick up a tiny thin gold chain very well but my Outlaw can.
Also if you want different tones the Tesoro Golden UMax is good and costs $450.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It does not get the press as much any more being a bit older model now, but I still think the MXT or MXT Pro is one of the best values in an all around metal detector under $1000 out there. Very easy to understand; the owners manual is on the bottom of the control box. Cheater settings are clearly marked on the controls. Great coil selection. The two year transferable warranty means you can sell and lose little value early on if detecting is not for you. Or better yet find one used with over a year remaining on the warranty, which even then you can still pass on. A very safe choice. I do not own one now as I tend to prefer specialized units over do-it-all machines but if I had to own just one detector under $1000 the MXT would be on my short list along with the X-Terra 705 and AT Gold.

Last edited:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Steve. Either of the MXT offerings cover a wide range of detecting possibilities and they do it quite well.
Luvsdux

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Usually whatever detector is the user has right now. I'm a whites man for life!!!

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS WS5 with 11" coil,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Whites VX3, whites DFX, MINELAB xterra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look at what detectors each person recommends, then look left and you will see everyone will say there's is the best

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Look at what detectors each person recommends, then look left and you will see everyone will say there's is the best

Yes and no.
I've tried at least 1 detector from each major company. Personally I only judge the machines I've tried.
As for Whites, I only ever tried a Spectrum XLT and I really liked it. I liked it so much that if I saw one come up for sale in Canada in great shape at a decent price, I'd buy it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kshollywood, only charter members and supporting vendors can sell or offer for trade here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kshollywood

Jul 15, 2010
Brandon,ms
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry about that

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have them both. Swing the e-trac 30 seconds, if you wont, it just can note compare in target separation and recovery speed with the DEUS. I have the e-trac and it is a good detector, but believe me it just can not compare with the DEUS in speed, even in depth, if you get the DEUS bigger coil.
You can check my test videos for speed and separation of both detectors:

I don't have an etrac but I do have a explorer. My explorer wouldn't do any better in your test, but when coins have been in the ground with nails it will find them. I recently bought a t2 with 5 inch coil maybe not as fast as dues but faster than most others. Going back to very trashy sites has not produced as much as one would think. The old explorer missed very little, as a matter of fact it may have found the few coins if I would have used it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread