What is the deal with being so secretive about CRHing anyway?

Weaselbrott

Aug 12, 2012
Eastern Seaboard
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter- Quick Silver (I know, I am a novice, give me a break! :P)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's face it, it is a tedious hobby that is not for the weak of heart. Don't get me wrong, I love it, and I will COINtinue to CRH, but for me, personally, it is intensive. If you are serious about silver, you are dedicating time and energy to finding it (of course, making the occasional dream find that makes it all worth it), but I don't see why people are threatened by revealing the hobby. Most people that know I CRH, even when they do see me make a decent find, are amused, but don't go and CRH. Sure, maybe you might create some competition, but I think spreading the knowledge of silver and it's value is good karma, as it makes people think about intrinsic value, and opens their eyes to some truth about sound money, but back to the point. Most people don't want to dedicate their time to this hobby, only a select few. Sure, educating tellers means you might not get silver from them, but it also might mean they will give you more silver. I have tellers that know about silver give me coins fairly often, and they know the intrinsic value as well, not just "I know its worth a lot." So I just feel like it is not the biggest deal to be truthful and informative to bankers. Just my 2 Lincolns...

Upvote 0

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, he was. I got tired of his attitude. I used to be a cop and did some detective work. I was the one who "outed" him.

Sorry coincrazed, for taking over your post but this is my post that told it all. Hard to believe that was 11 years ago.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/50847-secret-life-patrick-earl-houston.html

I wonder what happened to him. I am retired now with more time on my hands. Maybe I can track him down again. ;)
You’re right. It doesn’t seem like 07 was 11 years ago, and I remember the year well though I hadn’t gotten into coins til a year later. Hell, it doesn’t seem like 2009 was almost a decade ago. How things have changed. I consider myself lucky to have Roll Hunted and get the pleasure of seeing all that Silver still floating around. A little bit of a slap in regards to my own mortality..... I’m about to be 23, and time sure as hell isnt slowing down.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The videos don’t help but I agree that most people who try it don’t stick with it. I love the title of the you tube videos.

OMG!!!!!massive amounts of silver!!!!
Bags of silver from bank!!
WOW! We just found a super rare
Coin CRH!!!
BIGGEST CRH SCORE EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!

And the finds suck lol

I think I know who you’re referring to..... Precisely why the YouTube roll hunters disgust me. Like stfu already.

“LOOK AT THIS GUYS! NINETEEN-SIXTY-EIGHT FORTY PERCENT SILVER!!! OH THIS IS GONNA BE A GOOD BOX GUYS!”
“THE NEXT ROLL NINETEEN-SIXTY-FOUR NINETY PERCENTER!!! THAT’S JUST TWO ROLLS INTO THIS BOX GUYS! THAT’S AWESOME!”
“IM GONNA CHECK FOR ENDERS! MAKE SURE TO WATCH OUR LIVE STREAM TONIGHT GUYS!”
Or yesterday..... “GUYS I JUST WENT INTO CHASE AND JUST GOT A PEACE DOLLAR LOOK AT THIS!! THAT’S AWESOME!!”

Like, dude...... aren’t you a little bit old to be bragging online for attention? Gag. And YouTube makes me pissed even more because no matter how much I hit the “I’m Not Interested” button, they still recommend his videos on my feed.

Last edited:

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coincrazed all you have to do is go into a bank and ask for a bag of silver coins. I don’t know why any of us coin roll hunt when this is all you have to do guys. [emoji16]

Monstarules

Mar 1, 2017
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never been quiet about it, personally. Many people are not interested in it, and the people who are (not on here) that I know, often do dumb things, or they just give up. It's only really gone into popularity because of YouTubers. Even Coinstar hunting can be difficult, but at least with Coinstar you run into many people who are just interested in getting a quick $25 from their granddad's change jar, and not looking down low into the reject tray. However, I've noticed that (in my area at least) a lot of homeless persons frequent the machines now, and recently Stop and Shops in my location tightened security of Coinstar machines because a drunkard threw a fit because they wouldn't show him what was in the Dirt Cup because he saw it happen on YouTube.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never been quiet about it, personally. Many people are not interested in it, and the people who are (not on here) that I know, often do dumb things, or they just give up. It's only really gone into popularity because of YouTubers. Even Coinstar hunting can be difficult, but at least with Coinstar you run into many people who are just interested in getting a quick $25 from their granddad's change jar, and not looking down low into the reject tray. However, I've noticed that (in my area at least) a lot of homeless persons frequent the machines now, and recently Stop and Shops in my location tightened security of Coinstar machines because a drunkard threw a fit because they wouldn't show him what was in the Dirt Cup because he saw it happen on YouTube.

I’m surprised about the CoinStar. But when you think about it, there are youtubers raving about finds from there too, many are the same ones posting the CRH videos. Unfortunately, it will only get worse until everything dries up, unless these attention whores somehow magically shut up.

Oh well. Life was a lot more fulfilling and less depressing before the age of social media and people feeling the need to spotlight their mundane lives thru “vlogs” and status updates. Not only has it ruined culture, but hobbies as well.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you posting Coincrazed. I remember the good old days when every box had multiple silver. Thought it would last forever and i wasn't hesitant to post on Tnet. I certainly would not post a youtube video on it. It isn't like posting how to videos on home improvement or car repairs. But unfortunately, i have no control over it. They will do what they will do. Eventually, when the hobby is all but obliterated, they will move on to something else.

ShinyPackRat

Oct 11, 2017
Montana, edge of nowhere
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eventually, when the hobby is all but obliterated, they will move on to something else.

I am especially interested in this point. I think we all know this hobby is on the decline.. but what happens 'after' it dies? Perhaps the non-hardcore crowd will leave, it'll stop being covered in media; especially youtube.. no profit in making videos on it (because there is nothing to find). The occasional hoard will continue to be deposited, just like it is now (there'll always be stupid people, right?). I think longer-term, it might actually be a little easier to find silver (or wheat pennies, or whatever) in a decade or two than it is right now. After all the "trend hunters" "know" that there isn't anything left to get in roll hunting because they already cleaned it out. I almost suspect there might be a bit of bell curve to it.. hit a low point of finds, then bounce back some. Then again, who knows. They're old coins that will continue to get rarer every year just by virtue of not being minted anymore. I'm certainly not suggesting it'll return to pre-1990 levels of silver and gleefulness (sad I missed those days).

Regardless, I think I'll be here a long time, finds or not.

Coincrazed

Aug 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to see you posting Coincrazed. I remember the good old days when every box had multiple silver. Thought it would last forever and i wasn't hesitant to post on Tnet. I certainly would not post a youtube video on it. It isn't like posting how to videos on home improvement or car repairs. But unfortunately, i have no control over it. They will do what they will do. Eventually, when the hobby is all but obliterated, they will move on to something else.
Great to see you again MM!! I totally remember your super dream box from Brinks,and IIRC.... weren’t you banner nominated but requested to not get the banner so as to not broadcast this hobby any more.....? That’s what I’m talking about when I speak of etiquette. Man I miss those days of having more productive boxes than skunks.

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey Teller, Nice to see you :)

I remember this post from 2012. Feels nostalgic to read the names...

I was poking through some of the 2005-2007 posts this morning and it's remarkable to think 5-8 years after that (2012) when this thread was started people through this hobby was "dried-up"... Things have changed so much since 2012, and certainly 2005..

C. Dickens got it right...
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
The only two certainties in life are death and taxes.
Primary Interest:
Other
You think the hobby is finding 15 wheat cents per box, three silver dimes a box, and for halves maybe an average of 2 40s a box with the chance of a 90? Think again. I used to CRH like that, and then I discovered that I was being a schmuck. For the time you spend doing it, there is NO money in hunting pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, or even halves to find old coins/silver. Too many people know about it and too many of the good coins are gone.

There are ways to make money in the hobby-- a lot of money-- and for only a little work. Last big score I had I made $1000 just for walking down to the town bank and buying something they had. It took me 15 minutes and several sales on eBay to double my money. With what I order each week, I have a 1 in 5 chance of making $150, and if I'm lucky, my order could make me a lot more than that-- potentially thousands. The only thing limiting my orders is the $10,000 every three day limit that requires the bank to file a treasury report (I've been flagged for laundering before-- not fun). I sell on eBay and to dealers and wholesalers. Knowing who will pay what for what is way more important than the actual hunt. This is an information game.

I've revealed to you that I make good money, and I revealed that I sell some stuff on eBay, but I will not reveal to you what it is that I am searching nor who it is that I am selling it to. Because guess what-- if everyone did what I did, my margins would be reduced to nothing. I would love to still be hunting half dollar boxes, but because of people telling their friends, my margins there were taken away from me.

So my conclusion is-- unless you really know what you are doing, give up. It took me years and years of experience to build up what I know and make me where I am now. Most people aren't smart enough or don't have the sources and contacts to do what I do. The worst is when someone on the forum posts what they could sell and make double their money on while at the same time labeling it a skunk and lamenting they have to take it back to the bank. Just my two Zincolns worth.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I entered the hobby over 40 years ago as a teen. In that time I’ve known one other roll hunter, personally.
That same dude is also a dirtfishing buddy and the only coin collector I know besides the owner of a LCS and some guys in a local coin club that I was a member of.

Not that roll hunters aren’t out there, I’ve encountered them. I’d have to say that the majority of hunters are the tellers, intercepting the good stuff before it reaches us. I call ‘em snipers.

I’ve known one teller that nabbed a 20 set collection of Peace dollars shortly before I walked into the CU. Congrats, but she wasn’t giving those up ~

Alright, another teller proceeds to...numerous times over the years, block collections of 90 and 40% halves, countless silvers of various denominations, and other collectibles, from reaching the public. I could go on and on. The nerve!

I married that teller!

Anyhow, I never really cared whether or not a person knew I was a roll hunter, I’d even advertise that fact and wait for the eyes to glaze over (let’s say the era is 1979 for example, $40/oz silver but no internet Yee-Haw! Yet there were full-page ads in the newspaper BUYING SILVER!) attention span 20x what is is today and folks still weren’t interested.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think the hobby is ... finding 15 wheat cents per box ... Think again...

...each week, I have a 1 in 5 chance of making $150...

...So my conclusion is-- unless you really know what you are doing, give up...

Presuming to measure anyone's else's success in the hobby is misplaced. People who enjoy their hobbies are doing it right. Period.

People who want to find wheat cents for their collection -- they hunt and find wheat cents for their collection.

People who what to find Varieties (ie WAMs)/CUDs/Cracks to flip on ebay -- they hunt and find WAMs/CUDs/Cracks to flip on ebay.

People who want to find an occasional silver FDR to stack -- they hunt and find silver FDRs to stack.

There are tons of ways to make $150 per week with little time invested. That doesn't make any of those things a better hobby than hunting dateless buffs.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Presuming to measure anyone's else's success in the hobby is misplaced. People who enjoy their hobbies are doing it right. Period.

Yes, people should do what gives them kicks, but don't you have any sense of objectivity? "There's no wrong way to collect coins" is a dealer's line, it actually means, "there's no wrong way to spend your money with me." There is a wrong, in fact, very wrong way to collect coins. It's called overpaying for them.

But, I digress. All I'm saying is that people in this hobby are narrow-minded and don't consider the value they could be attaining if they kept themselves a little more in-touch with the coin industry. Given that I worked at a coin shop for two years, that's been easy for me to do. Why get a rush of discovery from wheat cents when you could be getting the same rush from the "boring" stuff and make three orders of magnitude more money? It's trivial to buy stuff from the bank that is the instant cash equivalent of four half dollar dream boxes, so long as you have a little patience, a big budget, a weekly order, and the knowledge of what it is and who to sell it to. Tellers could never catch on for the life of them, as the stuff I do is sniper proof. An old collection, say, a roll or two of 40s, is a nice bonus, but no more than a distraction by the way I hunt. Let the tellers keep it. They need it more than me.

The only reason everyone on this forum is still pulling one or two 40s and happy with wheat cents and war nickels is that they do not know what I know, and I intend to keep it that way. Enjoy your hobby; it will stay only a hobby.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, people should do what gives them kicks, but don't you have any sense of objectivity? "There's no wrong way to collect coins" is a dealer's line, it actually means, "there's no wrong way to spend your money with me." There is a wrong, in fact, very wrong way to collect coins. It's called overpaying for them.

But, I digress. All I'm saying is that people in this hobby are narrow-minded and don't consider the value they could be attaining if they kept themselves a little more in-touch with the coin industry. Given that I worked at a coin shop for two years, that's been easy for me to do. Why get a rush of discovery from wheat cents when you could be getting the same rush from the "boring" stuff and make three orders of magnitude more money? It's trivial to buy stuff from the bank that is the instant cash equivalent of four half dollar dream boxes, so long as you have a little patience, a big budget, a weekly order, and the knowledge of what it is and who to sell it to. Tellers could never catch on for the life of them, as the stuff I do is sniper proof. An old collection, say, a roll or two of 40s, is a nice bonus, but no more than a distraction by the way I hunt. Let the tellers keep it. They need it more than me.

The only reason everyone on this forum is still pulling one or two 40s and happy with wheat cents and war nickels is that they do not know what I know, and I intend to keep it that way. Enjoy your hobby; it will stay only a hobby.

Not sure if you are referring to "CRH" or "coin collecting" in general as the hobby, but either way by definition a hobby is "an activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure". However, what you are describing is a business. It might be a business based on a hobby and you may enjoy it, but it sounds like your main intent is to make money and not something you do just for pleasure, so to me it is a business.

From reading the forum over the years, I would say the CRH'ers on this forum split into two categories.
1) Those that enjoy searching and finding and collecting coins in general, and
2) Those that do it only to make money by finding silver/rare coins for face value (or some other method).

CRH can be enjoyed by both and if you found a way to make something many consider a hobby into a profitable business, I see nothing wrong with that. Nor so I see any reason for you to share how you do it.

I CRH'ed for years and still do on rare occasions. Personally, CRH for me falls under category #1 above and I saw #2 as more of a side effect, but not my primary objective. I realized early on that regular CRH by itself (what you describe as pulling 15 wheats, 3 silver dimes, etc) was not going to be a huge money making endeavor and it was something I had started doing as a child almost 40 years ago. I did well on half dollars for awhile, but that dried up fairly quickly as I only hit the tail end of the recent "boom" years back about 10 years ago or so when silver halves were relatively easy to find.

Instead of making CRH/coin collecting into a business, I made a hobby business out of my other main hobby, which is sports cards. Like any other business, it is knowing what sells and how to acquire or produce those items at prices such that you can make a decent profit. It sounds like you have that figured out for coins. Good for you. Of course with CRH, you are buying at face value, so there is essentially no risk as you can always just cash out and get your money back which is a nice plus. Although I do have a guess at what you are doing to make money from CRH, I won't share for much the same reason you won't. I would try it myself, but I just don't have time as my sports cards hobby/business is doing quite well and it doesn't leave me with much extra time for other endeavors right now.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...people in this hobby are narrow-minded ...
...the only reason everyone on this forum is still pulling one or two 40s and happy with wheat cents and war nickels is that they do not know what I know...

CRH'ers would/should be coin dealers if they had half a brain is like saying that bird watchers would/should be wildlife photographers if they knew anything about their hobby.

For some people walking on the beach is enough. Sure, they could be filling their pockets with sellable seashells as they go, but that's a different experience.

You say "Enjoy your hobby; it will stay only a hobby." and I say "Thanks, I hope so."

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Death & Taxes: now that you have ALL of our attention as to what you do, which is NOT CRH OR COLLECTING, if wonder if the IRS agents also read some of our posts are wondering what you are doing also? Leave us coin hobbyists enjoy our moments of finding a coin here & there, and not critique us that we don't know what we are doing.

Death&Taxes

Jan 2, 2017
Taxechusetts (It sucks)
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It's like hitting squirrels with a slingshot vs. hunting elephants with a four bore (I stand by the fact that there is an objective 'betterness' to the latter), but enjoy whatever you do with the hobby. Try not to tell others about it or broadcast your high $ finds, unless you want the three 40s a box average you have to drop to two 40s a box. It was only a couple years ago that I used to get 6 40s average, and then $4000 of my $5000 order was sharpie marked.

These days, or at least how it was in December when I quit halves for good, you've got to ask yourself one question: do I feel lucky? At a certain point, you shouldn't. When you hunt 10k and get 10 40s, I'd recommend finding something better to do with your time. Anything. Anything but to continue the biggest losing streak you've ever had CRHing. People always say you should quit while you're ahead. Don't. Quit while you are behind. Find something else you are successful at and stick to it.

Could very well have been somebody on the forum who squandered Eastern Mass. maybe two people, maybe several. Goodnight and good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread