What is this rock? My detector is picking it up.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche...
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
I would have posted a thread like this if you hadnt... I found a singin rock the other day too.... its not heavy like metal, its weight is, well .... like a rock, maybe i will take the hammer to it... I have an etrac by the way.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okdiggermark said:
TORRERO said:
Can you manually ground balance this machine ?
I have seen a Tesoro pick up hot looking rocks on the beach that my DFX would not sound off on
in all metal mode...
Long ago I remember rocks like this, that would pick up all the way on max descrim and you could
ground balance this out with a manual ground balance machine....

maybe...

Gosh, I wish I had manual ground balance. My Garrett is automatic.

I had a Tesoro that was picking up "Hot Rocks" on the beach, and it did not have a manual ground
balance.
But in the past I have had machines that do have this feature and when properly balanced will
ignore these types of rocks....
The machine basically see a ghost...
Or the rock is much more positive than the Negative area around it ... so it beeps...
Black sand beaches are the same way...
Like the machine see's nothing but a big piece of metal all the time under the coil, until
you balance it out...
You can't do this with a factory preset model like yours...

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank everyone for your posts. They were very enlightening. My next machine will have manual ground balance.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Jason, I made a few bucks on that flour gold that didn't respond. Frank

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:

It's a pure lie and you know it! No detector in the world will respond to flour gold. It takes a $5000 Minelab to detect even tiny pickers. Odd how you also have garbage to spout to but never have finds to show.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason in Enid said:
Frankn said:

It's a pure lie and you know it! No detector in the world will respond to flour gold. It takes a $5000 Minelab to detect even tiny pickers. Odd how you also have garbage to spout to but never have finds to show.

Jason, if there were a BUNCH of flour gold it MAY detect it.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okdiggermark said:
Jason in Enid said:
Frankn said:

Jason, if there were a BUNCH of flour gold it MAY detect it.

Nope, it won't. For the same reason most detectors can't find gold chains and necklaces. The chains respond as a group of individual targets, not one large one. If your detector can't read the individual links it can't read the chain. Same principal except on a vastly smaller scale. Flour gold, litteraly is gold particals the size of grains of flour. No detector ever made can get a response from that. If it was possible, placer mining would be a whole new ballgame.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jason, Frank doesn't lie! As I've said before, he's very wise & knowledgeable. I've learned so much from Frank...& am very thankful for him. He's a wonderful person & if you would listen to him, I guarantee you would learn alot too! NTM, wether you agree or disagree, you should respect your elders. And I've seen some of Franks finds.....he's been doing this longer than you or I. Perhaps if you would lay off the arguing & instead learn something from Frank, eventually he might show you some of his finds....& he might even teach you a thing or two....like he has me.

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:
Jason, Frank doesn't lie! As I've said before, he's very wise & knowledgeable. I've learned so much from Frank...& am very thankful for him. He's a wonderful person & if you would listen to him, I guarantee you would learn alot too! NTM, wether you agree or disagree, you should respect your elders. And I've seen some of Franks finds.....he's been doing this longer than you or I. Perhaps if you would lay off the arguing & instead learn something from Frank, eventually he might show you some of his finds....& he might even teach you a thing or two....like he has me.

You are awesome icandy!!!

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iCandy said:
You can call me Adrian

I think you're awesome Adrian!!! 

Smurufett

Sep 8, 2009
East Texas
Detector(s) used
My hands and bare feet!
I dont do metal detecting I hunt Indian Artifacts , Minerial Specimens , Fossils and such . But I think it could be Pyrite . It is found from the East to West coast . Wouldnt a detector pick it up . You know Pyrite is what they call fools gold and it could come in a silver or gold color .

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Smurufett said:
I dont do metal detecting I hunt Indian Artifacts , Minerial Specimens , Fossils and such . But I think it could be Pyrite . It is found from the East to West coast . Wouldnt a detector pick it up . You know Pyrite is what they call fools gold and it could come in a silver or gold color .

Do you think the rock in my video looks like Pyrite?

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
okdiggermark said:
Smurufett said:

no

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TORRERO said:
okdiggermark said:
Smurufett said:

no

I think I'm just going to have to take a hammer to it. Meant to do it last night but got busy.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I found some pyrite at the Silver King Mine in my wanderings and I tested it. Here's how you tell.
When you heat pyrite it doesn't melt, it burnes. It actually catches on fire.

Jason, Can't pick up flour gold because it is like a fine gold chain? I guess i didn't find this either.LOL
Frank

Attachments

• gold cross chain.jpg
    gold cross chain.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,434
  • gold cross chain.jpg
    gold cross chain.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 1,414
OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Frank! Way to go!!! What did you heat the pyrite with, a torch?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn said:
I found some pyrite at the Silver King Mine in my wanderings and I tested it. Here's how you tell.

Jason, Can't pick up flour gold because it is like a fine gold chain? I guess i didn't find this either.LOL
Frank

Thats because it has a pendant on it. Take it off and try it. Even if you have a gold tuned detector and a thick rope chain, still doesn't make detecting gold dust possible!

OP
OP
okdiggermark

okdiggermark

Nov 7, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jason in Enid said:
Frankn said:

Frank

Thats because it has a pendant on it. Take it off and try it. Even if you have a gold tuned detector and a thick rope chain, still doesn't make detecting gold dust possible!

Now c'mon Jason....don't know what detector you use, but if it doesn't pick up gold....you should strongly consider upgrading. I know if mine didn't I'd be trading up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread