What Is Your Very Best Civil War Find(s)?

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am the last one who should be making the first post here, but...since no one has started, I will! ;D

The first pic is of some of the finds I have made on my mountain site. The Eagle buttons and bullets, a pocket knife and the toe plates and the other misc. stuff. Then the second pic is of the bullets I found in Missouri.

Not much, but some of my favorite finds in these two pictures! :)

Nana ;)

Attachments

• 100_6294.jpg
    100_6294.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 4,810
  • 100_6296.jpg
    100_6296.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 4,766
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey good show Nana! 8) I had almost forgotten about this thread.

Nice stuff there and I think everyone here would like to find goodies like you found.

But where are the others?

Anyway...THANKS for posting Nana! :-*

Badger

gmu4me

Jan 15, 2006
Culpeper, Va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Let me get my digital camera ready and decent relics together for a photoshoot.. Will update this post with pics...

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
BADGER, Not My Best, But Gave Me The Biggist Thrill As It Was The First, Hard To Believe That Was Oct 12th 1970. trk5capt...

Attachments

• P1406B.jpg
    P1406B.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 4,655
  • P1406.jpg
    P1406.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 4,697

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Wrap it up... I'll take it!

(J/K, Trk5capt... but 'tis the season!)

Congrats on a truly great plate.

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
PBK said:
Wrap it up... I'll take it!

(J/K, Trk5capt... but 'tis the season!)

Congrats on a truly great plate.

Hey! This my thread...she's mine! ;D

I try my best to get into lots of things but deep down inside CW stuff rules. I've found a little myself in the past but don't even like to talk about it anymore. It makes me feel bad cause I can't get away from work and get down there.

I've been reading your posts for a long time Captain and you sure do know what you're doing. Man, I wish I lived in your area and had the contacts.

I'm going to trying to work my way to CW country next year. If it works out maybe you can educate me on how to approach those fine southern land owners ;)

Badger

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My favorite and best find so far are 32 pieces of silver I found on a CW battlefield. It was all together, scattered over an area about the size of a kitchen table. I also found in amongst the money a "squared up" three ringer. I can only assume that the soldier had perchance made a good luck piece. I imagine it was lost by a yankee during the heat of battle for it was found in a small area on what I believe was part of the escape route for some of the yankee soldiers. I can only hope that his good luck piece worked regardless of the side he fought on. And for those of y'all that have seen this befor, I apologize but I do like showing it. 2 half dimes, 7 quarters and the rest were dimes. Dates range from 1836 up to 1860...d2

Attachments

• Coins.jpg
    Coins.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 4,868
  • Coins.jpg
    Coins.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 4,930

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here you go MB....You've probably seen some of them already but these are a few of my better find's.....2 different place's from roughly 8 yrs. ago until this year.One of these day's I'll seriously get to cleaning these up the right way.Show some respect.....kinda owe it to the "boy's"......Cool thread!!!!

Attachments

• 2006_1206Image0004.JPG
    2006_1206Image0004.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 4,864
OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
d2 said:
My favorite and best find so far are 32 pieces of silver I found on a CW battlefield. It was all together, scattered over an area about the size of a kitchen table. I also found in amongst the money a "squared up" three ringer. I can only assume that the soldier had perchance made a good luck piece. I imagine it was lost by a yankee during the heat of battle for it was found in a small area on what I believe was part of the escape route for some of the yankee soldiers. I can only hope that his good luck piece worked regardless of the side he fought on. And for those of y'all that have seen this befor, I apologize but I do like showing it. 2 half dimes, 7 quarters and the rest were dimes. Dates range from 1836 up to 1860...d2

WOW and WOW! Truly a spectacular find!

Badger

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
civilman1 said:
Here you go MB....You've probably seen some of them already but these are a few of my better find's.....2 different place's from roughly 8 yrs. ago until this year.One of these day's I'll seriously get to cleaning these up the right way.Show some respect.....kinda owe it to the "boy's"......Cool thread!!!!

Those are too awesome for words! Civil War relic finds are the magnun opus of treasure hunting.

Badger

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one of my favorite CW button finds:

This is how it looked freshly dug.
ladirtyoo3.jpg

Now any confederate state button is a great find these days, and a Louisiana button ranks up there on the high end of the scale. But the fun was just beginning as it was cleaned up.
Here it is after cleaning:
laf2nu7.jpg

The front turned out about as good as you could hope one to be, with gold in all the right places and a high relief on the pelican and nest. Now this is where things get real interesting......
laback2db9.jpg

When you find a good button what you hope for is a rare mfg. backmark, so I was somewhat confused when I saw a star outline on the back with the shank soldered into the middle. A quick check in the Tice button book helped point the way to solve the mystery.
This button was made in New Orleans by C. Bellenot, who also at the time was making buttons for the state of Texas as well. It seems that the mold that stamped the button backs had broken, and some enterprising rebel engineer figured out that they could continue with production by using the fronts of Texas buttons for the backs of the Louisiana's until the mold was repaired. I have not been able to find out how long this took place or how many were made like this as confederate production records are scarce, and often non-existent. So this button is actually two confederate buttons (Alberts #LA8 and TX30) in one, making this a very rare puppy! I really like this one because to me it shows the Rebel ingenuity and determination to perservere against any odds.

D.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nana40 said:
I am the last one who should be making the first post here, but...since no one has started, I will! ;D

The first pic is of some of the finds I have made on my mountain site. The Eagle buttons and bullets, a pocket knife and the toe plates and the other misc. stuff. Then the second pic is of the bullets I found in Missouri.

Not much, but some of my favorite finds in these two pictures! :)

Nana ;)
wowhoooo nanaster killer stuff (browny points)oh and the rest of you also ;)

Digginman

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Stephens City, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Treasure Ace250 Tesoro Cibola
I found both of these this year. The Breastplate on 4-31 and the Sword Plate only a few weeks ago.

DM

Attachments

• plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 4,487
  • plate.jpg
    plate.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 4,463
  • breastplate.jpg
    breastplate.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 4,509

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
My best with before and after getting it restored pics.
LOL, well didn't realize the restored image was so small, but it is what it is.

Attachments

• USbuckle.jpg
    USbuckle.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 4,392
  • buckle.jpg
    buckle.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 4,402

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
These were found on my farm. I've added several more 3 ringers, Williams cleaners, eagle cuff, grommets, and flat buttons to the collection since this pic was taken.
Mike

Attachments

• 2rsz_100_0318.jpg
    2rsz_100_0318.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 4,338
  • 2rsz_100_0318.jpg
    2rsz_100_0318.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 4,253

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread