What keeps you going?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have been back at this hobby for 2 years now and recently pulled out my "treasures" to see what I have brought home that would be considered good finds. I was suprised how the stuff I found that I thought was good at the time actually turned out (most of the time) to just be stuff. The finds that I valued the most had no actual cash value, no collectible value but were finds I had found on a night hunting with my buddy Baldingboy that we had a LOT of fun detecting. Wether it was because the dingo almost ate me, or the multiple dirt clods that were tossed or the crazy idea of detecting in 20 degree weather with a strong wind and sleet pounding down on us. The friendship of a hunting partner has made all my experiences so much more rewarding.

There have been dry spells for me while hunting and I still have yet to find ONE thing that would make a person stop and go WOW now that is a great find!!! But every time I decide to give it all up and go back to sitting on the couch watching TV and vegging out I remember the fun times I have had when I was hunting with others, and especially Baldingboy. He has become a truer friend than I have had in a long time. And no this isn't broke back detecting. Friendship, good times with the bad, that is what keeps me going in this hobby.

So what keeps you going?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

levis_dad

Jun 3, 2007
Cleveland, TN
Detector(s) used
BH Landstar
The beep goes on...

The beeps keep me going...never know what is going to show up in that little pile of dirt I just dug up.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the whole process is fun! finding good spots, being outdoors,learning to use and operating the equipment, maintaining the equipment, posting on this forum...its all fun. of course the thrill of seeing a silver coin in the hole is fun too! :wink:

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fun, it's fun. Need I say more? ::)

As someone said "It's the thrill of the hunt"

Then we have such a thrill when we get out something valuable and/or old.

Or just spending time when you got no better option...Is there a better option? :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What keeps me going? ........ the fact that the NEXT TIME will be the BIG FIND!! TTC

sfenner

Greenie
Aug 30, 2008
Richmond, VA
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS W/ 9” black coil, 11” black coil, 9” high freq. coil and 9” X35 coil.
Pure passion for the next dig.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mastereagle22 said:
bscofield6 said:
mastereagle22 said:
So what keeps you going?

All of the chicks I pick up while detecting.

Dude can I go hunting with you sometime? All I ever see while detecting is this big ugly fat dude that rides around with me. ::) :wink: ;D

Sure! The more guys swinging detectors with giant headphones and knee pads the easier it will be to pick up the ladies! They just can't get enough of us! haha

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
mastereagle22 said:
bscofield6 said:
mastereagle22 said:
So what keeps you going?

All of the chicks I pick up while detecting.

Dude can I go hunting with you sometime? All I ever see while detecting is this big ugly fat dude that rides around with me. ::) :wink: ;D

ME22,
You shouldn't talk about your son that way. Shame on you.

borninok

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2007
Kerrville, TX
Detector(s) used
White's DFX: Minelab Excalibur 1000
Well, ME, you know what keeps me going.............waiting on you and BB to bring me my next bottle of Scotch.....LOL

Actually, it's the thrill of the hunt.............although the girls on the beach do have a little incentive...... :thumbsup:

Mel

borninok

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy being out with my detecting friends and taking my daughters out.

When I started it was about the finds. I had to get that first piece of silver or that first Indian head. The thrill of getting some of those items has faded a bit and I realize that the finds are not the best part. Being there when your friend digs a gold coin, now that's a thrill. Even if its not me who digs the best treasure I still have a story to tell. I have been there when friends have dug great treasures, sure I wish it were me at the time but in the long run it has never mattered more than the stories.

My family has grown considerably since I started detecting, I don't have the time I used to. I just try to take it easy and not force anything anymore. In the past you would have found me patrolling old areas of town for a sign of construction or a torn out yard. Now I don't do that much anymore.

Remember "The fun is in the hunt, The money is in the treasure" ~pennyfarmer (I just come up with that tonight. )

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pennyfarmer said:
I enjoy being out with my detecting friends and taking my daughters out.

When I started it was about the finds. I had to get that first piece of silver or that first Indian head. The thrill of getting some of those items has faded a bit and I realize that the finds are not the best part. Being there when your friend digs a gold coin, now that's a thrill. Even if its not me who digs the best treasure I still have a story to tell. I have been there when friends have dug great treasures, sure I wish it were me at the time but in the long run it has never mattered more than the stories.

My family has grown considerably since I started detecting, I don't have the time I used to. I just try to take it easy and not force anything anymore. In the past you would have found me patrolling old areas of town for a sign of construction or a torn out yard. Now I don't do that much anymore.

Remember "The fun is in the hunt, The money is in the treasure" ~pennyfarmer (I just come up with that tonight. )
I just came up with one...... Don't dig up more than you can carry out in one trip!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Postalamt said:
I mostly hunt alone and enjoy the solitude. I'm anti-social at heart. >:(
I can understand that i get that way sometimes......................... Jim

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
a connection to earth and all the elements

Exercise that's fun!

Thrill of the hunt

The elusive motherlode always whispering my name

Research

And how this has lead to me to learn, appreciate and embrace all that this hobby entails: bottle digging, rock hounding, fossil gathering, relic hunting and artifact searching.

Plus, it raises my geek level...I dig that (pun intended).

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At this point in my life it is like therapy. I have attended way too many funerals in the last 14 months. My Mom, an Aunt and then an 18 year old Son. You start to realize this is not a rehearsal, you get one shot at what ever life has to offer. Daily, I see too many opportunities wasted of one sort of another. When the only sound I hear is coming out of the headphones, the rest of the world is kind of on hold for a while. It will still be there when I take them off.

Happy finding!

Bob

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia
A good friend of mine once explained why he preferred salt water fishing over fresh water fishing. You could be fishing and all the sudden "oops, BIG fish!" He was a good feller from Indonesia.

So thats my take on detectin'. Some days you don't even get a nibble, other days you slay the ocean and eat for weeks.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RJGMC said:
At this point in my life it is like therapy. I have attended way too many funerals in the last 14 months. My Mom, an Aunt and then an 18 year old Son. You start to realize this is not a rehearsal, you get one shot at what ever life has to offer. Daily, I see too many opportunities wasted of one sort of another. When the only sound I hear is coming out of the headphones, the rest of the world is kind of on hold for a while. It will still be there when I take them off.

Happy finding!

Bob

Today's my birthday...turned 53. My grandfather died at 56 from the same lung disease I have. Thanks to modern science, I'll probably be around a bit longer than him. He died back in the 1960's.

But...I'm not planning on waisting my life away or taking that chance that tomorrow I could just collapse. Some days I struggle...but oh how sweet to dig that piece of silver from the ground....makes me forget everything. It just becomes "Worth It".

Al

au4me2

Sep 8, 2007
Ma.
Detector(s) used
Depends on what Im looking for!
I truly have no idea,I just have to go do it, When I don't detect I am sad and when I do Detect I am Happy, I have never met a Detectorist that I diden't like.HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread