What keeps you going?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
I have been back at this hobby for 2 years now and recently pulled out my "treasures" to see what I have brought home that would be considered good finds. I was suprised how the stuff I found that I thought was good at the time actually turned out (most of the time) to just be stuff. The finds that I valued the most had no actual cash value, no collectible value but were finds I had found on a night hunting with my buddy Baldingboy that we had a LOT of fun detecting. Wether it was because the dingo almost ate me, or the multiple dirt clods that were tossed or the crazy idea of detecting in 20 degree weather with a strong wind and sleet pounding down on us. The friendship of a hunting partner has made all my experiences so much more rewarding.

There have been dry spells for me while hunting and I still have yet to find ONE thing that would make a person stop and go WOW now that is a great find!!! But every time I decide to give it all up and go back to sitting on the couch watching TV and vegging out I remember the fun times I have had when I was hunting with others, and especially Baldingboy. He has become a truer friend than I have had in a long time. And no this isn't broke back detecting. Friendship, good times with the bad, that is what keeps me going in this hobby.

So what keeps you going?

Upvote 0

treasuredog

Oct 21, 2004
Leetonia Ohio
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 70,whites xlt,minelab quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The good Lord and hopes of finding the next valiable find! Gold coin,1916 d mercury dime,1877 indian head penny,1909s vdb wheat penny,diamond ring,civil war belt buckle,etc! Hey you never know! A guy can only hope. The next big find awaits you out there! Its fun dreaming of that next big find. Im waiting for that big cache. Happy Hunting!!! :icon_sunny: ;D :thumbsup:

lamar

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2004
Dear mastereagle22;
What keeps me going?
Greed, mostly.
Your friend;
LAMAR

PA John

Nov 24, 2008
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xcalibur 2, Teknetics T2 (Coils: Stock, CORS 4x6,, 4” “biscuit”, Whites Dual Field Surf PI, Garrett AT Pro (Stock & 5x8 Coils), ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Just got back swinging a detector from my early teens.

I have enjoyed researching a new detector and trying it out for a month.
Winter has set in so I am going to research, research, research.
Planning my hunting for the next year.

I really think it is the thrill of the hunt that gets me, the "box of chocolates" you see when you start at a new site.

It has been a relaxing get away from the everyday, hectic life I can't seem to get away from.
Wish I had more time to swing my detector.

Attachments

• tekneticst2.jpg
    tekneticst2.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 345

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
What keeps me going?

I love history.
I love the challenge of researching, and then searching.
Here is the thing, as soon as I slide on those headphones and start swinging and digging the rest of the world just disappears.
Serenity with a challenge!
Outdoors learning and thinking and concentrating!
With always a chance of finding that coin you haven''t dug yet, or that awsome relic!
Add in those hunts when someone nearly as crazy for this hobby is along, and it just can't get much better!

Good Luck,
Mark

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is therapy for me to be out there trying to find something from the distant past that was meant to be forgotton and lost forever.
I enjoy the peace of being outdoors in Gods great creation and I feel alot better once I am finished for the day.

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'll find that elusive ring today, if not, just enjoy being out

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Those old US coins waiting to be found...........I want my share of the stuff that is in my area............I know there's more out there to be found. I want to find the modern silver........and my sights are set on finding the older stuff.........lots of detecting goals that will take years and years to fulfill. I need to find a seated something........some old copper. That kind of stuff. How about a trip to Europe for some Roman Silver some time down the road? Shoot.......there's no end to this hobby.

B

BIG61AL

after finding unknown thousands of pulltabs finding stuff like these ... 3 ring minie ball bullets

Attachments

• bullets 1.JPG
    bullets 1.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 311
  • bullets 1.JPG
    bullets 1.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 313

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice car, Lucky. Very nice, and what an exotic color. I wonder if it's just an av or do you actually own that?

Mr.Jody

Jul 6, 2008
florida and everywhere....
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5 Quicksilver
What keeps me going is seeing that there is stuff laying in the ground that others have found and not knowing if the next signal will be the big one.

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
It reminds me a lot of why I love to fish. You've gotta find a good spot, use the right equipment and tools, say a prayer or 2, and pull out the goodies. I hunt alone because I am surrounded by people in my job & I have a family. To be by myself with a single minded purpose....find rings....gives me peace. It's like playing the lottery, but actually winning every once in a while. I am a goal setter by nature, and that, with a touch of stubborn hard headed-ness (just ask my hubby) keep me swinging the loop. I always set a goal each year for the number of rings I plan on finding & finds I do not currently possess. Such as, a gold american coin, or a V nickel. Happy New Year & Happy hunting all.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What keeps me going? Besides prune juice. :wink:
Love of the outdoors. :icon_sunny:
The thrill of the hunt. :o
Curiosity. :icon_scratch:
Adventure. :whip2:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Number one reason........to get rich. Since it may take awhile I will just enjoy the hunt and the unkown.

S

seger98

Knowing that I will give all my finds to my granddaughter someday!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread