Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus HF coils, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug this piece today at a site where I had previously found an 1820 large liberty one cent a few feet away. I was wondering if anyone knew what type of buckle it was and how old it is? The white stuff appears to be embedded in between the brass and is kind of fragile (not a paint or coating). I am afraid to clean it.

2017-07-21 23.29.57.jpg 2017-07-21 23.30.07.jpg 2017-07-21 23.30.14.jpg 2017-07-21 23.30.45.jpg

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fancy ladies belt buckle? Maybe horse tack, but its pretty fancy and delicate looking for that.

Upvote 0

namxat

Feb 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like art noveau style to me. So I would put it rougly from the 1890ies to 1920ies.

Greets namxat

Upvote 0

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bharpring, I really do like that buckle you've found. I think perhaps the "white" is enamel? One reason for this post, is that it is primarily aimed at newer detectorist. I wish now I had kept ALL the various buckles I've found over the years, there had been many. When you have one or two etc., seems like no big deal, but over time, if you end up with a good number of them, separate by alloy?, clean or restore as best you can, what a very cool display they might make in a frame. Wish I had done that. Consider that each buckle was in essence a "personal" item at one time, same as I've mentioned in another thread about pocket watches, another thing I often wished I had kept for the same reason. At least I DID do that with keys and marbles. Just a thought fella's, (and lady's). As far as cleaning? Man, I really do not know, if it's rust on the back, normally I would say a vinegar soak, or electrolysis?, but with the possible enamel I do not think I would chance it. Others on this Forum would have a very good answer to that question. Again, I do like the buckle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white "stuff" is inset into the brass and seams to be fragile. What could the white "stuff" be if the buckle were made in the mid 1800s?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bharpring

Bharpring

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2016
Savannah, GA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest: