What to do with these damn LLC properties!?!?

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everybody, I'm curious as to how you all deal with these shenanigans. You're out driving around, looking for likely locations for old homesteads. As you approach, you see the GIGANTIC OAKS, an old Chimney but nothing else, old fence posts, etc. You think to yourself, "THAT'S THE SPOT!" You take a look around, and notice that there's modern fences, gates, and no trespassing signs posted. So, you pull out your phone to run the location through a GIS/Parcel data app to try to figure out who the owner is in order to try to convince them to give you permission so you don't get shot, arrested, or ruin the hobby for others. You locate the parcel and read the name, and it's none other then those pesky "(Insert name here) LLC. You run the business name through google,bing,yahoo, you name it, and get NO RESULTS. How do you proceed?

It seems that all these potential historic properties are owned by these LLC's. Sure, there are some that lease the land for hunting, but thn there's others with absolutely no information about them. Almost like they are "fronts". I've experienced this while trying to access creeks in gold bearing areas, and also in areas to simply coin/relic shoot. It's almost like there's a deliberate attempt to keep these sites with potential riches/history on lock down. Sometimes it'll be timber company, other times a LLC, and even "living trusts". Meanwhile, you can't find any information about how to contact the true property owner.

Another thing that I have noticed, is some of the counties that I attempt to view the parcel data, it is only accessible to city employees. This really bothers me. I could see if it was state wide, but to pick a handful of counties, and make them above top secret to view the data, but all are on the same state GIS website...it just doesn't make sense.

Any input would be great.

Also, are any of you all using a nation wide free GIS/Parcel app? I have downloaded a couple that claimed to be free, and the app was phenomenal and worked great, but they turned out to not be free, and only gave a certain number of searches/days before having to pay. If any of you have any good recommendations for apps to find parcel data, I would love to hear about them.

Upvote 0

JOe L

Aug 24, 2007
Colonie, NY , That's around Albany
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use Huntstand, it somewhere around 12 bucks a year for unlimited searches.

Huntstand is what I used to but you're limited on the amount of searches you get. But at least they have information about my County which I can't get on the State website

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread