What weighs 234 pounds and only cost me $40?????

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well what can i get for my clubs "kiddie" hunt on may 12th "bling wize' --for oh say $20 --( that would cover total your cost of the $10 box you bought and the cost of "shipping" the kiddie goodies to here florida - via a el cheapo * if it fits it ships type box)-- can we "make a deal" heck I even thrown in a 40% kennedy half I found CRHing recently for being a good guy to the kids .

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Randyd said:
If you sell the broken plated/ filled stuff on ebay be sure to put "gold plated scrap recovery jewelry"
that brings up a question and will turn this chat in a different direction.

Is everything that looks gold, gold plated? (even very thinnly) Are there other gold colored plating processes?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
everything that glitters is not gold . -- very old saying :wink: :thumbsup:

you did well by catch the scrap dealers "sleeping" even a few lil busted bits of scrap gold will cover your buying cost of $40 easily ,

of course 99.9 % of the "jewelry" you got is gold washed / very thinly plated (colored) or silver washed (colored) -- it has so little gold or silver in it /on it as to not be worth the processing cost of extracting it from the metal its attached to -- because it cost more in refining cost expense than what you would get in return gold /silver wize. -- that is if it has any gold / silver on it / in it at all.

once you cull all the "true gold' from it , theres a small market for "gold filled" marketed items -- but for most run of the mill "gold plated / colored stuff or silver plated (colored) stuff nah -- just sell by the couple pound type lots for folks , who look for "special older type or high end type custom jewelry "

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
do a search on ebay for junk jewelry.
its unreal the prices there going for.
gold plated junk is being bought with the hope to find a solid piece, or people refining it via reverse gold plating with sulphuric electrolytic cell.
just make sure you put in the ad, gold/silver plated no solid pieces. also no returns.
i would do 2 to 3 pound lots.
with what you have. i bet theres about 2000 3000 bucks in that.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
Randyd said:
If you sell the broken plated/ filled stuff on ebay be sure to put "gold plated scrap recovery jewelry"
that brings up a question and will turn this chat in a different direction.

Is everything that looks gold, gold plated? (even very thinnly) Are there other gold colored plating processes?
Here are a few-
Gold Filled Goldfilled, or gold-filled, abbreviated g.f. = lower in gold content than 10 KT, usually 1/20 or 1/12 KT.In this technique a sheet of gold is mechanically applied to the surface. Victorian pieces are likely to be unmarked, but later pieces are marked with the fineness of the gold layer, and the part by weight of the gold. For example a piece marked "1/10 12K G.F." is composed of at least 1/10 12K gold based on the weight of the finished piece. In the U.S., gold filled pieces must be at least 1/20 by weight to be classified as gold-filled. An older unmarked gold piece may often be identified by wear through to base metal, especially when viewing corners or edges under magnification. Look for a change to a darker, brassy colored material at these spots.
Goldplate A layer of gold applied to base metal, usually by electroplating. This is usually a very thin layer, only a few microns, which is likely to wear much more quickly than gold-filled.

Gold Tone Gold colored or electro-plated, not gold as in measurable in karats.

Gold Washed "Gold washed" describes products that have an extremely thin electroplating of gold (less than .175 microns thick). This will wear away more quickly than gold plate, gold-filled, or gold electroplate. The gold is applied by either dipping or burnishing the metal, but it is not plated.

Randyd

Mar 8, 2011
Kalifornia
I used some 10k acid on the back of gold colored, non-magnetic jewelry.
Sometimes the "gold" instantly disappeared.
Other times it stayed on up to the 22k test acid. So some of it was gold plate and some was gold colored.
R

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leadnugget said:
do a search on ebay for junk jewelry.
i would do 2 to 3 pound lots.
with what you have. i bet theres about 2000 3000 bucks in that.
That is what I am thinking of doing. I will do a few test runs.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Gold Filled Goldfilled, or gold-filled, abbreviated g.f. = lower in gold content than 10 KT, usually 1/20 or 1/12 KT.In this technique a sheet of gold is mechanically applied to the surface.
Now that I know about. I am only half done going through the watch box and I have probably filled two zip lock sandwich baggies with GF watchbands. Also, so far, two gold watches and 5 Rolex ladies (fakes of course) and lots of pocket watches.

Some times I wake up at 4 or 5 AM and start thinking about my treasure and get up and go through some more.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might also want to check out the going prices for costume jewelry at www.etsi.com (or just google etsi) I was shocked and amazed- and started going through all my inherited thought-it-was-junk jewelry. Good luck!

Buff4

Feb 14, 2012
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21 - W/Stealth 8 - Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
diggummup said:
What a score! I thought I did good with my 99 lbs of wheat cents that I paid $100 for, but this takes the cake! I'm sure you'll go through every piece as you make your lots, just to be sure there isn't anything real in there first. This is the key statement in your conversation with her and should give you great hopes and possibilities of finding several scores-
"her employees were not very good. When a seller came in the employee would only offer for what they knew was gold and anything else (if it was OK with the seller) got tossed in a big box "

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Yeah that was quite the score. I use to go to the bank and get 200-300 dollars per week of rolled pennies, to sort with my son when I got him into coin collecting, and I would look for the error coins, sell all the 1960-1982 95% copper ones on Ebay, as well as the wheaties. 136 copper pennies = 1 lb, you bought 99 lbs, which is a face value of roughly 134.64. The wheaties I was getting between .3-.4 cents each when sold in lots. 99lbs x 136 x .03 = $403.92

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Dan I am just glad the producers of pawn stars is not looking for talent in your area bc you would have the market saturated if they saw the business you do. Man you A are a hard worker and B are very keen on what to look for. Might be some luck too. I got a good score at a yard sale get home the lady switched my bag with another womans I got stiffed sat there and cherry picked some really nice jeweler :BangHead: too/.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cdltpx said:
Dan I am just glad the producers of pawn stars is not looking for talent in your area
I have no "on camera" personality, besides you guys are the only ones I tell my buying secrets too.

cdltpx said:
Might be some luck too
Yea, just a bit. But last saturday I only got 4 computers and 6-7lb of brass.

Still have about 50-60lb of jewelry to look at. Watches are done.
out of the watches I got about 10-15 lb of pocket watches in all sorts of condition and spring wound movements. Also, 6 ladies and 2 mens Rolex, all fake. AND 3-4 lb of gold filled watch bands. I have to tear apart everyone to get the GF parts before I can melt. You can not even imagine how dirty watchbands can get. (dust, sweat & body oils :o)

On the jewelry (so far) about 3.5 oz of karat gold, from 13.5K to 6K. most of that are little snipets of other things, all careless employees not getting everything. :icon_thumright: careless employees :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
let me know when you get the postal money order I sent you -- it was mailed in my local; post office mail box friday night late--- so most likely left out in saturday's mail * --being its going from florida to cal -- i figger 4 to 5 days --should be there soon-- ivan

once again thanks

pocket watches * some have gold cases (i'm sure yopu know that of course )-- but even non gold ones can still be cool at times -- many modern ones (chinese made pot metal types) have no style or real craftsmanship to them -- many older ones often have cool designs -- I had one with a deer hunting design that I though was cool that I gave to my young nephew, after I took him on his first "hunting trip"

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,

If you had it to do over again, would you have bought more tubs?

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cyberdan If you find a nice pocket watch in that Wow bunch of stuff lol . Let me know please .

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dan I got my money order back in the mail today ? it said --no such address * mail not forwardible -- i do want the "kiddie bling" and have a money order made out to you -now what to do? -- ivan

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
bluehunter1973 said:
Bazinga I thought my post was pretty clear wasnt starting an argument. I did not phrase my statement correctly thus people took it wrong. I blame myself but to point out driving around and paying for an item at a garage sale still consists of a person getting out and finding something. Just like metal detecting. You pay for gas in your car you pay for equipment. If I ruffled your feathers I apologize thats why I posted the last time. Again I apologize for not making myself clear.

I wasn't responding to you actually. I was responding to creeper who seemed to think he deserved the banner. If that was really the case, the garage sale forum would get 3-5 banner posts a week from spring until fall and the other 5 posts from coin roll hunters.

While each is a form of treasure hunting, it's not the kind of treasure hunting that this site was created for. They are just added forums created to keep people on the site just a little bit longer each day and to keep people from posting every yard sale find and coin roll hunting find in the Today's Finds section of the site. If you step into your way back machine, you will see that myself and a couple of others posting coin roll finds in the Today's Finds section are the reason that forum was created.

Yes, but the banner posts for CRH and Garage sales are for real great earnings (not $300, $400 but $2K,$3K,etc.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread