What weighs 234 pounds and only cost me $40?????

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
i have your postal money order dan- i sent it out but it got returned to me * why i do not know ( however it was marked "no such address , unable to forward) --i do want the kiddie bling how can I get you this money order that i have made out to you , so we can close the deal? -- ivan.

Last edited:

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Put it all in one box take to local metal detecting park and bury it then sit and wait

BWHAHAHAHAHA! That would be more than $40 worth of entertainment for me to watch! I would take out what I thought was good first of course...

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well last night I fineally listed only two pounds of my bling + two watches on feebay. I was going to list the URL this AM to get some advice on how to word it better (and still tell the truth) but it sold. I listed at 8:02PM and it sold for the buy it now price of $25 at 8:27PM

Here is the link anyway BIG Lot Estate Vintage Jewelry Costume 2 lbs + Two watches | eBay

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have sold costume jewelry on ebay a few times and there is some costume stuff that is very expensive. If you had the time and patience to sort through it you could sell individual signed pieces for a very nice return. Take the rest of the unsigned pieces and hit the flea market. I throw loads out from time to time when I can get them from estate sales and a buck a piece is kinda the norm. You can get $2 - $3 for bigger gaudy pieces. Throw out 3-4 tables of the stuff and your table will be mobbed constantly. Might want to bring a helper. :tongue3: Even the little old asian ladies that never buy anything but look for a solid hour help you because whenever a table has people standing around it others just have to come and check it out.

On a decent day you could do $300-$400 in sales. I would run it through the flea market as many times as needed. Then whatever you have left after that put it into 15 pound lots or whatever you can shove into a priority USPS box and sell them on ebay.

That is the best way to maximize profits. But if you want to just move it, just break into into lots and ebay the hell out of it.

Totally agree. Spend the time sorting and creating a plan how to make the most money, and then more time putting that plan into action. It looks like it would definitely be worth it. Why turn an incredible score into just a good deal. Be greedy!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well last night I fineally listed only two pounds of my bling + two watches on feebay. I was going to list the URL this AM to get some advice on how to word it better (and still tell the truth) but it sold. I listed at 8:02PM and it sold for the buy it now price of $25 at 8:27PM

Here is the link anyway BIG Lot Estate Vintage Jewelry Costume 2 lbs + Two watches | eBay

All you need is great pics, and it in the proper "categories"... Just don't offer a buy it now because who knows how high they might have bid it up had you just started it at $25 and let it run. You'd be amazed how much some people are willing to gamble you missed something good, but you totally take that away selling it cheap as a BIN.

PS: It's inexpensive to add a 2nd category on your listing and probably well worth doing so. Also you should think about doing several lots at a time, numbering them, and using many different categories as this way you get way more views, many more bidders, and better results. If there's one best category list all 5 under that, and make your 2nd category different for each.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
got the lot sent by dan --thank you very much - kids will love it --ivan.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Totally agree. Spend the time sorting and creating a plan how to make the most money, and then more time putting that plan into action. It looks like it would definitely be worth it. Why turn an incredible score into just a good deal. Be greedy!

This is one of the only forums I've ever been on where many posters say... "I'm not greedy"

I've told posters not to give away a detecting spot that just yielded them 5 silver with their ace 250 on their first trip... They always tell me they aren't greedy.

And so many people when you tell them you could make $200 on an item, for some reason they don't think that's FAIR and they are happy making $50 on the item since that's a FAIR profit to make.

Like Iron Patch said, be greedy on this score! Maximize your profit for your time spent.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have already gone thru 90% of my 240 lbs of jewelry/watches. What I listed last night was the rejects. (there are a lot of very nice rejects) I really know nothing about costume jewelry, but I do know about gold, silver and gold filled. I found a lot of that along with several pounds of pocket watches and spring wound watches.

If I got $25 for every 2 pounds of rejects I would be extremly happy. If someone can take some of that bling and resell it, good for them. We all need to make money.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am now quoting myself. I mailed off the 2# of jewelry already to the lady who jumped the gun and did a buy it now. I just got this message from her. I had a starting bid of 99¢ and she snatched it up for $25.00 I will do the refund but wondering what I should tell her.
======================
I received the lot today. I am very dissapointed as all pieces are broken, ruined, or very damaged in some way. There are several pieces that are only small pieces of original necklaces or bracelets. This should have been sold as a lot of scrap pieces that have been tested for gold, taken apart or for scrap only. I will be returning this lot for a refund. I have reboxed up all the pieces in the orginal box with original grocery sacks as sent in and will ship back to you tomorrow. Thanks, Gina
=================

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I did it again, sort of.

A few hours after I bought the 240 lbs of jewelry I ran into another yardsailor that does the same thing I do. He had gone to the same house and saw more jewelry but he was intimidated by the amount and never made an offer. I wanted that jewelry and the next weekend (or weekend after that) I went back to that house to try and buy the rest. They had moved and a realtor's FOR SALE sign was in the front lawn. I wrote down the number but no one answered the phone. After my vacation I tried again. Finally I got through but that realtor did not represent the house, she gave me the number of the guy who did and he said he would contact the owner who had rented it to the lady I bought the jewelry from. After two weeks I got a call from the owner who said the renter (his sister-in-law) was out of the country and he would give my number to her. (is it getting confusing yet?) Any way Honey (yes, that is her name) called me last week and she agreed to show me what she had left, at her new house.

So, last night, I went over (remember her family had a CASH FOR GOLD company) to her new house. It is a small gated community sitting in the middle of a country club golf course. It had to of been a million $$ house. This time her father-in-law was there and he drove a hard sale.

To make this long story shorter (sorry) I ended up buying 30.5 lbs of jewelry and 46 lbs of watches for $177 That was all I had brought with me. I figured I could get the rest for $100. I still had to leave probably 100 lbs of jewelry behind. She had bagged what she said was the nicer things into $10 bags and she had 75 bags. They would not budge on the price of these bags. I was able to get a few of those bags and if I find any gold/silver I will go back for more. I have a feeling they are all picked over costume jewelry.

I have completely gone through the original 240 lbs and pulled out every single piece of value. I did real good on that. I now have almost 300 lbs of costume jewelry that I need to get rid of. I can't have a yard sale where I live so I am thinking of trying to get a table at one of the many church/school/group sales that are held in their parking lots. I don't know if they charge a percentage of sales of have a flat space rental. I know I am going to have to invest in a popup canopy, some tables and a few chairs. I should probably add those to my yard sale list.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how much karat gold did you end up with?

And silver?

Any special finds in the first bunch?

I just invested some time reading this thread, and now i want to knwo the results. you posted 3 oz earlier - what did it total out to?

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By chance, is that Flathead Co. Sheriff's Dept. then?

I love the Scout, btw!
No Flathead is quite a distance from my county. Our uniforms are very simular only I didn't have to wear a tie. But did have to wear that dumb smokey bear hat. (only when I had to) I was in Ferry County WA and that little scout could get me anywhere.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep looking at the later IH Scouts on craigslist thinking I want a nice running one. I had 2 of the earlier mod. Scouts with the 4 banger's, one with a warn overdrive installed. They'd run like a sewing machine, but were slow as a day is long. They were very easy to work on and keep running.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread