fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recently I found some empty beer cans on the back of my property and figured it was someone from the sub-division behind my yard. But, lately there are more and more empty cans. And, there are other types of trash. But, it is on my next door neighbors property and I suspect it might be a young man that is living there, I don't know if he is related to the owner or to the woman living there and I am not 100% sure but I see evidence that points toward him.
Today I walked out to my shop and saw something hanging in the bushes on their property. It was s empty Doritos bag with two beer cans in it. Underneath that there was a 12 pack of empties.
What concerns me is this activity is taking place within 30' of my shop and my 67 GTO is inside. There have been small fires set out there in the grassy spots.
Here is the fun part. My neighbor is kind of weird. When he first moved in he was friendly to the point that when he fenced in his backyard he moved the fence 10' off the property line to give me trailer access even though I didn't really need it. But, soon after that he stopped talking to us and then started going out of his way to avoid us. This happened 10 years ago and we probably haven't exchanged a dozen words since then.
So, how do I handle this situation. Do I approach the young man, the owner, call the law or do something else. I cannot ignore the situation much longer if for no other reason than I hate all the trash laying out there!

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fishing line and those cheap high pitched distress alarms that go off when the pin is pulled...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Set up a trail cam to get video of the offender then confront the neighbors if it's from them.

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have you considered landmines? :laughing7:

Jason is spot on with the trail camera idea, I would go with that first and if that fails break out the landmines.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they putting trash on your property?

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are they putting trash on your property?

The first trash I found was on my property but, most of the trash is on my neighbors land but it is right on the line. Some small pieces of trash have blown into my yard. At first this was a random hhappening but lately there is more trash almost every day. While I hate the trash it is the small fires that concern me the most. I have a very valuable car in my shop and would hate to lose it to some drunken idiot! If I were to put up a trail cam what would keep whoever is doing this from stealing it?
I will also add that I maintain my property all the way to the line around my yard. My neighbor opted to let the back half of his land remain "natural" or as we would call it "growed up". I have cut the grass about 10 feet over on his property ever since he built his house as a courtesy for the access he afforded me. I guess I could let it go but it would take years to return to it's natural state. And, that 10' buffer helps keep the snakes and other unwanted guests away.

Last edited:

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends if it is your property or not.......if it is not yours, then keep trail cams (more than 1), up.........
If the garbage is on yours, then I would talk with the neighbor.
Have weapons at the ready, 24/7

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your worried about the fires burning up your car, why don't you just ask him who is making the fires? Just ask him to be careful. How far is it from his house? Maybe he doesn't even know its going on. Im getting the feeling you just want their place to look as nice as yours otherwise you would have simply talked to your neighbor about it.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your neighbor has a teenager, or maybe is a grown teenager himself?
Who drinks beers and eats Dorito's in the bushes, starts small fires, outside, and throws their trash down, when they have the comfort and a/c of a nice home in which to do those things? (the "fire intrique" would concern me, too)
A concealed trail cam, or small camera attached to a place they wouldn't notice. (Like the computer cams you can run a line). Sorry, I may not be using the right terminology.
Good luck and let us know what happens. I do understand(sad to say), some of the "element", you may be dealing with there. LOL!
I am very sure, you are smarter, than what/who you are having to deal with!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Just call the cops. Then you have an official report on file if anything bad happens. They will talk to the neighbor, warn him and you have the upper hand.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to my world...I hate rubbish leavers :BangHead:

SS

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't like looking at my neighbors crap so I put up a fence I can't see them they can't see me everyone's happy happy.

Unfortunately it's his property and he can be a pig this battles been fought since you humans started coexisting

doc-d

Bronze Member
May 19, 2013
Pacific Northwest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya, this just reminded me of my first house I owned.......had a neighbor up the hill that bordered me.......all types of garbage and so I put up a wire fence with 1" by 1" opening...........so at least all his garbage stayed on his side and not blowing up on mine.......did not take long for him to start picking up after himself....
Consider a garbage fence.....just a few t-posts and some 3' or so, garden or chicken fencing.......at least it should stay on his side that way..

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally I would think it ain't your business what the neighbors do, but I have seen pics and that 67 Goat is nice. The ultimate, end all, be all solution: buy their property and evict them. End of it.

Jeevez

Aug 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the camera idea is good for the trash problem. Catch the kid on cam and they'll have to make sure they keep their trash off your property. The fire thing should be addressed though. Maybe ask your neighbor if they've seen anyone lighting fires. If they prove to be uncooperative call the police in about it so there's a report. With any luck you'll catch it on cam before it gets dangerous.

1more4me

Jul 26, 2011
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
White's V3i
Put a trash barrel and maybe even some fire ring rocks out there. Then you are offering a solution or a the least a signal that attention would be appreciated. Disk, till, or weed kill/rake a fire line along the property edge or the garage- then disguise it as a flower bed...

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If I had an expensive car with pricks for neighbours I would install a camera in the garage and one on the outside too. I would also put up chicken fence on my side of the yard and say you are keeping out skunks or something along those lines.

My dad had a 1988 9-11 and we have a lot of little kids on our street and its just a coincidence the one mom is a b**** and wouldn't pay for something that her 4-6 year old kids did unless it was proven and they have bumped into cars with their bikes and hit them by mistake with balls and what not. Nothing ever happened but my dad was curious and got a quote once, and to repaint it would cost 5k.

But I would do something asap. Put up like chicken fence so if someone tries crossing they get caught then tangled and dont come back.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be teens using the place to hangout. You really need photo evidence if you suspect your neighbor. Trail Cam is great idea. It's caught everything except Bigfoot.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Tons of court cases are thrown out for lack of evidence, but there are oohs and ahhs from juries if there are videos.
Also witnesses can and do change their stories.
Seems like the camera is the only way to go.
Rich

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions