What Would You Do?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What would I do, honestly?

I would pick up those cans, put them in a trash bag and immediately walk over
to my neighbors and knock on the door.

When they answered, if it was the guy you know I might say something
along the lines of:

"Howdy _________, I know it's been a while since we've chatted much,
but an issue has popped up that I need your help with. Not sure
why, but beer cans and other garbage are being tossed over your back
fence, and making quite the mess in my yard, and well, it's just not something
that can continue. Since you and I have talked in the past, my hopes are that
we could solve the problem rather than me calling the Sheriff and having
them try and sort it out."

He's either going to be an ass, or he's going to tell you that he'll look into
it and make sure it doesn't happen again. If so, tell him thanks, and that you
appreciate it. If he mouths off, I would simply walk away and let him know
that you really tried to avoid any issues, but now the Sheriff will have to
get involved, and that you hope he writes a big citation to whoever ever has
been tossing the garbage over his fence and into your yard.

That's what I would do. YMMV.

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I find that it is best to have the right tool for the job. Dewalt makes tools to get the job done right!

I would suggest this Dewalt tool for your particular job....

dewalt gun.jpg
:occasion14: L.C. Baker

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would do the trail camera thing. Gettin a little evidence for your side of the conversation. If your worried about the GTO, I would be happy to park it in my barn next to my 56 ford hardtop, for safekeeping of course.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would I do, honestly?

I would pick up those cans, put them in a trash bag and immediately walk over
to my neighbors and knock on the door.

When they answered, if it was the guy you know I might say something
along the lines of:

"Howdy _________, I know it's been a while since we've chatted much,
but an issue has popped up that I need your help with. Not sure
why, but beer cans and other garbage are being tossed over your back
fence, and making quite the mess in my yard, and well, it's just not something
that can continue. Since you and I have talked in the past, my hopes are that
we could solve the problem rather than me calling the Sheriff and having
them try and sort it out."

He's either going to be an ass, or he's going to tell you that he'll look into
it and make sure it doesn't happen again. If so, tell him thanks, and that you
appreciate it. If he mouths off, I would simply walk away and let him know
that you really tried to avoid any issues, but now the Sheriff will have to
get involved, and that you hope he writes a big citation to whoever ever has
been tossing the garbage over his fence and into your yard.

That's what I would do. YMMV.
The trash he is worried about is on their property, not his. I don't think he wants to tell his neighbor to clean up their place...but that's what he wants.

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't like looking at my neighbors crap so I put up a fence I can't see them they can't see me everyone's happy happy.

Unfortunately it's his property and he can be a pig this battles been fought since you humans started coexisting

Our neighbor burnt our fence down lol. Kinda like the OPs story actually

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id have to agree to the game camera. We have had a peeping tom for years on the property to the point that the dirty asshat would do certain things while looking at my daughters undress in their rooms. we own a large piece of property and just our front yard is 6 acres so its not like we thought anyone would be coming back until just like you we found trash that wasn't ours. The guy went as far as to harass my bedridden mother, tapping on her windows at night to scare her. we called the cops and they couldn't catch him because he knew the area and the trails to get out quick so we bought a game camera and caught him. I have family to protect and you have a goat to protect and me being a muscle car gear head I would put a serious whooping on anyone for messing with either one. If you have the game camera evidence you can call the cops and show them and then let them take over.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a trash barrel and maybe even some fire ring rocks out there. Then you are offering a solution or a the least a signal that attention would be appreciated. Disk, till, or weed kill/rake a fire line along the property edge or the garage- then disguise it as a flower bed...

I have a firepit less than 20 feet from where this is happening! It is ringed by a 2' high block wall and there is a water pipe nearby. I just feel uneasy knowing that a person or people are drinking (a lot) and trashing the place.
If I bought an installed a trail cam what would keep them from stealing it?

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After much though and deliberation I have realized that the combination of landmines and a trail camera is truly the way to go.

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After much though and deliberation I have realized that the combination of landmines and a trail camera is truly the way to go.

Agreed! They wouldn't steal the camera then! Good luck with your pest

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know about your game camera but mine works pretty well at distance plus I strap mine high up using a ladder so it makes it hard if another hunter finds it. Do you have any place you can attach one high enough that whoever cant get to it? Weve used them to put an end to the peeping tom we had, I cant see where this would hurt you except in the pocket book if you have to go buy one.

dave sharky

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you are young and crazy start some thing if not just buy a rotty or pit bull dog for your garage and lock up good ---good luck

Joe hunter

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2013
Up state NY
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Place said camera low and obvious and hide another camera then have them arrested for stealing your camera

Backbacon

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2012
Da North Eh?
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Bird House works very well for concealing trail cams.

OP
OP
fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a chat with the lady and there has not been any new trash since. I will be away this weekend so we shall see what happens. My car will not be in the shop while I am gone. It will be at a safe location.

Maburger

May 30, 2013
Southern IN
Detector(s) used
AT Pro ACE 250 and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the whole situation is odd.it's obvious someone who's up to no good. Why else hide the beer?
Are the lots small city lots or larger? Do you live in the county or city limits? How old is the "young man" and the owners of the property? i find all of these to be relevant questions that should play into the solution.

If I'm understanding the purpose of your question I don't believe the trash is the major issue. The fires are a big concern. Do they appear to be a camp fire setting or just fires set to watch them burn? Is there dry brush near to the fire areas? I can understand your concern due to the curiosity of the situation.

If the young man is not of legal drinking age, then that is an issue to pursue. If he is sneaking around drinking then I suspect there is more sneaking around being done. If you live in the city limits then there are probably ordinances on burning. You stated the neighbor is letting part of his property go. Does this mean they simply don't want to mow or care for it? Property is costly so that confuses me as well. Why purchase a large lot only to concentrate and fence a small area. They basically gave you the portion that you now care for.
Do you have other neighbors close by that should be made aware of the suspisious behavior? If so then I believe they should be made aware as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread