WHAT YOU DONT WANT TO SEE WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR BOX OF HALVES.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
WHAT YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR BOX OF HALVES.

Man do I hate this, this was delivered to my bank today, first 2 of 4 boxes, going back tomorrow to get the other 2. I hope they aren't the same.:BangHead: So to search or not to search, that is the question. All opened on 1 end and all have this z or 2 ( not sure what it is) on the side of them.

Attachments

• DSCN5076.JPG
    DSCN5076.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 151
  • DSCN5077.JPG
    DSCN5077.JPG
    673.2 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
i get those often. never found Ag but have found a few proofs. Never in great condition, but they fill a spot until I find better ones.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that sucks, were they still sealed when you picked them up? Bring it up with the vault teller or whoever orders the coins and ask them to contact the armored service, because they are not factory wrapped and sealed rolls. Who knows on top of being searched they could be short as well.

Still though it doesn't seem to add up, either the teller is searching them or someone is brining in dumps like that and they are passing them off to you as "delivered boxes"

The reason i say this is because when they ship out coins they have to be in a coin lock bag with information written on the bag, like what center it is from etc. Back when I first started hunting about March of 2011 I would bring the box back like that and the teller would help me put them in a coin lock and they would throw out the box. Then I figured it was better to do the coin lock bags at home myself. Somehow you are getting "bamboozled" it doesnt add up.

Hope you can figure it out.

Bigheed

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Help me out here, I don't CRH.
What would that indicate?

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't speak for Maverick, but I can say that mine were in sealed boxes. It is just someone at the sorting facility not reprocessing the coins. I was thankful not to be shorted, but that is a real risk when you get a rewrapped box.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
somebody previously searched all the rolls in the box and did a poor job at sealing the rolls back up.
Ah, yes that would be irritating.
Thank you.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
that sucks, were they still sealed when you picked them up? Bring it up with the vault teller or whoever orders the coins and ask them to contact the armored service, because they are not factory wrapped and sealed rolls. Who knows on top of being searched they could be short as well.

Still though it doesn't seem to add up, either the teller is searching them or someone is brining in dumps like that and they are passing them off to you as "delivered boxes"

The reason i say this is because when they ship out coins they have to be in a coin lock bag with information written on the bag, like what center it is from etc. Back when I first started hunting about March of 2011 I would bring the box back like that and the teller would help me put them in a coin lock and they would throw out the box. Then I figured it was better to do the coin lock bags at home myself. Somehow you are getting "bamboozled" it doesnt add up.

Hope you can figure it out.

Bigheed

OK, I just finished the other box that wasn't opened-SKUNK, so, yes, the black and white rolls box wasn't sealed ( normally all of mine are and I have never recieved these black and whites before) not even the remainder of brown box tape that is usually on them. The normal lady who takes care of my orders went on a mini vacation this weekend through today ( she should be back tomorrow) but I talked to her before she left and she made the order for me, now normally I order 2 boxes, but today when I called the other lady said yes they are here, all 4 boxes, huh, I'm only suposed to have 2, oh well, I'll be there in a few to get them. So when I get there the lady brings them out and I say I can only get 2 right now and I'll come back for the other 2 tomorrow, she says ok. I told her that the other women must have miss understood 2 boxes for 2000 dollars. she says it's ok, we have a few more in there, hhmm, I'm thinking that someone dumped there and this other women didn't realize that this was waiting to be shipped out or counted, Idon't know. I opened the box at the counter, after she took my money and walked away, and noticed the rolls, I asked the other teller if these were delivered like this because they're allready opened, she said yes. So, tomorrow I'll get to talk to my main lady there and find out what happened and see if she can ask the brinks guys to be sure the boxes are sealed( if they can) so there is no descrepancy again. Now I know I'm the only one who orders halves at any of my banks, and I allways ask if anyone else ever turns a box in at any of my branches and they allways so no, your the only one who we've ever seen do this, and I know for sure that these women aren't interested in searchin anything, so hopefully tomorrow will tell the story.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I checked acouple of the rolls and nothing, I will say this, it seems to be way more of a PITA to try and unwrap these and get them back in the wraps than just to reroll them in bank wraps. I don't know, oh well, I expect this allready to happen a few times, just hate it when it does.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Most likely skunk. Looks like a "N" for no silver.

Ahh, yes, never thought of that, and ya, I'm going to just dump them and hope tomorrow is better.

projJakarta

Jan 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear this. That sucks, I know. Happened to me 4 times in the past 6 months. Three of these boxes were tighly sealed and they came in fresh from one of the carriers. I dumped them back as soon as I got them. It's part of the game.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are not going to open the rolls to search them, weigh the rolls on a gram scale. It is not perfect for finding Ag, but it is quick/easy and will usually tell you if a roll has one or more 90's. It will also tell you if any of the rolls are short or long by a coin or two.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ya I used to be pretty much the only person doing halves in my area that I knew of and now occassionally I will see dumps like that being offered to or the other super annoying one is the razor slit down the side with a piece of scotch tape after edge checking. Probably someone dumped the 2 boxes on that bank, hopefully its not a repeating occurrence for you.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are not going to open the rolls to search them, weigh the rolls on a gram scale. It is not perfect for finding Ag, but it is quick/easy and will usually tell you if a roll has one or more 90's. It will also tell you if any of the rolls are short or long by a coin or two.

Ya, I need to invest in one of those I guess, I don't have one, but I bet that would save some time. I guess that will be next on the shopping list.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
don't bother weighing rolls, it is a waste of time, no offense.

Clad = 11.34 g
40% = 11.50 g
90% = 12.50 g

The bulk of your finds will be 40% and you cannot tell by weighing that a roll has 40% halves in it. The reason is that over time as much as 1-2% of the coin is "eroded" from wear and tear, not all but even 1 40% with 1% wear would now only weigh in at 11.385 grams.

Sure you can find the rolls that have 90%, but that doesn't really give you any advantage. You are going to open all the rolls anyways in the search for 40% and 90%.

I certainly wouldn't spend the money on the scale just for weighing halves.

Just my 2 cents.

HH,
Bigheed

Captaindoodle

Feb 10, 2008
You have my condolences...but it's happened to me several times in various combinations:

I've gotten customer wraps in sealed boxes, Brinks rolls in Loomis boxes, rewrapped Loomis or Brinks in their own sealed boxes, etc.

Unless you were shorted on the count, there's really nothing to complain about. You gave them $500 for $500 in halves, and that's what they gave you. It sucks and is disappointing, but that's all there is to it...next box(es) please.

HH,
CD

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
...You are going to open all the rolls anyways in the search for 40% and 90%...

The point is, OP was questioning whether to search them at all - because they look opened/already searched. Presumably, maverick was thinking it would be easier to just dump them. A compromise would be to weigh them.

If your dump bank won't take them rolled and you have to open them anyway, then search them - no question.

If you want to keep them rolled for easier dumping, and the choice is to not search them at all - because they already look searched, you will clearly miss any potential keepers. If you did weigh them, you would have a shot as finding keepers. Obviously, if you found anything through weighing them, you would search them all.

If you don't have a gram scale, don't buy one for this specific purpose. A lot of ppl have them for the hobby in general. It is not a necessity, but kinda handy. For under $10 (Gram Scale - 1000 Gram Digital Scale, with 20% off coupon), it is one of those things that you find yourself using occasionally and are glad to have (imho).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread