WHAT YOU DONT WANT TO SEE WHEN YOU OPEN YOUR BOX OF HALVES.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• DSCN5076.JPG
    DSCN5076.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 151
  • DSCN5077.JPG
    DSCN5077.JPG
    673.2 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point is, OP was questioning whether to search them at all - because they look opened/already searched. Presumably, maverick was thinking it would be easier to just dump them. A compromise would be to weigh them.

If your dump bank won't take them rolled and you have to open them anyway, then search them - no question.

If you want to keep them rolled for easier dumping, and the choice is to not search them at all - because they already look searched, you will clearly miss any potential keepers. If you did weigh them, you would have a shot as finding keepers. Obviously, if you found anything through weighing them, you would search them all.

If you don't have a gram scale, don't buy one for this specific purpose. A lot of ppl have them for the hobby in general. It is not a necessity, but kinda handy. For under $10 (Gram Scale - 1000 Gram Digital Scale, with 20% off coupon), it is one of those things that you find yourself using occasionally and are glad to have (imho).

Thats a good point assuming one has to return them rolled. I wasn't looking at it from that point of view because mine all go in coin lock bags, so I understand ya now. I was looking at it from the don't weigh MWR that are from a new box, since one would open them all anyways.

Didn't realize a decent gram scale was that cheap either! Not a bad investment then :-)

HH,
Bigheed

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like what happened is that one teller ordered your 2 boxes, and a different teller got them for you when you showed up. She probably opened the vault and noticed 4 boxes total - the 2 you ordered, and 2 that were dumped by somebody. if that teller wasn't around when they were dumped and is not used to things like ordering halves, she probably just assumed you ordered them all and presented them to you that way.

yes, search em!

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
4 boxes instead of two? And one was already open, and all the rolls were opened?!'? What could that mean?!?!
That means that some other hunter brought in 2 searches boxes.
You go one of his. And one of yours.
And if my math is right...you'll get the same tomorrow.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like what happened is that one teller ordered your 2 boxes, and a different teller got them for you when you showed up. She probably opened the vault and noticed 4 boxes total - the 2 you ordered, and 2 that were dumped by somebody. if that teller wasn't around when they were dumped and is not used to things like ordering halves, she probably just assumed you ordered them all and presented them to you that way.

yes, search em!

Thats what I think happened too.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
4 boxes instead of two? And one was already open, and all the rolls were opened?!'? What could that mean?!?!
That means that some other hunter brought in 2 searches boxes.
You go one of his. And one of yours.
And if my math is right...you'll get the same tomorrow.

I'm thinking that I will get the same tomorrow too. Hopefully the normal lady is there that I usually deal with, and can explain what happened. I did look through a quarter of the box and every roll has the coins facing strait up the same way, so I stopped. I would assume that some really took their time looking through them allready to put them back all facing the same way.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats a good point assuming one has to return them rolled. I wasn't looking at it from that point of view because mine all go in coin lock bags, so I understand ya now. I was looking at it from the don't weigh MWR that are from a new box, since one would open them all anyways.

Didn't realize a decent gram scale was that cheap either! Not a bad investment then :-)

HH,
Bigheed

I was thinking about a scale anyway for a while because I hate throwing back all the 82 pennies I come across and never knowing if they are real or not.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I was thinking about a scale anyway for a while because I hate throwing back all the 82 pennies I come across and never knowing if they are real or not.

They will probably be all real. I don't know why anyone would counterfeit a cent. The question is whether they are copper or not. You can't get a gram scale for this purpose because 2.5 rounds to 3 and 3.14 rounds to 3. You need a 0.1 gram scale, or 0.01 gram scale like I have ($26).

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I'm on my way to the bank here in a few to get the other 2 boxes and find out what happened, I'll update later today when I get home. Should I just keep adding to this thread for the update, I cant find away to add to the title to show the update, or do I just assume that you guys will check it since it will bump to the top. Thanks.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's a popular thread with nearly 31 responses, i'd just add to this one, good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
update

Well, back home now. I gues Brinks happened to slip one through on me because these other 2 I picked up were sealed. Do you see what I see in the box on the left 1969 ENDER! I'll post results later tonoight, the wife is on me to fix the kitchen sink before we can search.

Attachments

• DSCN5080.JPG
    DSCN5080.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice! Also there is that rare 1971 hole error ender. Better post it on eBay while the market is hot.

LMAO. yes, I remember that post. Actually, I had a box sometime back with a bunch of these with holes drilled in them and it was loaded with silver, 2 I kept that that were silver, 1 was a 64 with a hole drilled through it, thought it would make a nice attachment to my key ring.

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Results from the boxes

Well, the first was a skunk and the second with the 69 ender had this- 2 64's , 2 68's, 2 69's, 1 66, 1 67, for a total of 8, so not too bad. 2 more boxes tomorrow that will end this weeks searches. Good luck to everyone else this week.

Attachments

• DSCN5086.JPG
    DSCN5086.JPG
    609.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCN5082.JPG
    DSCN5082.JPG
    778.8 KB · Views: 77

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice job... weird, brinks boxes by me speifically say "brinks" on the rolls...
HH
Buff

OP
OP
maverick

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
nice job... weird, brinks boxes by me speifically say "brinks" on the rolls...
HH
Buff

I could be wrong, I assumed these were brinks boxes, I'm still not real sure about the carriers and rolls and boxes and all that stuff. I know I allways get these cube boxes and dump where the boxes are long and flat with yellow writing, and the carrier at the dump bank is guarda.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
... The question is whether they are copper or not. You can't get a gram scale for this purpose because 2.5 rounds to 3 and 3.14 rounds to 3. You need a 0.1 gram scale, or 0.01 gram scale like I have ($26).
Gram scales do not all round to whole grams. The HF gram scale (Gram Scale - 1000 Gram Digital Scale) has resolution (and accuracy) to the 0.1 gram. It will also report in oz, grain, troy oz, penny weight, and carats. A Zn cent reads 2.5g and Cu cent reads 3.1g on that $10 scale.

If you want resolution to 0.01g, there are lots of choices out there, but for most uses, 0.1g is good enough.

One of the things I like about that scale (most scales do it) is the counting function. You put 10 of something in the bin, press a button, and it turns into a counter. Add a handful of coins and it tells you the count (so long as they are all the same weight and so long as it doesn't exceed 1kg).

I sometimes count dimes with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread