whats with the headphones?

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headphones save on battery life.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could use a little savings on batteries, however buying headphones would cut into the same budget. I guess i'm still on the fence.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well mine came with headphones...so. :dontknow:

If you're not hunting heavily populated areas, then you don't have to worry about the tones of the metal detector bothering people. Saving on battery life is about the only thing that would benefit you.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Headphones allow you to hear soft tones and the subtle changes in the threshold (threshhold?) which could indicate deep targets. With a gentle breeze, they could be lost without headphones. Plus they help keep the ears warm on cold days and keep the bugs away during summer.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me (and most others), headphones are essential for critical listening. I use a Minelab Explorer and GPX 4500, I need to hear every single little detail of the audio coming in. Not having headphones for me would result in several missed, deep coins (gold nuggets) and lack of ID based on audio.

That and they keep your ears warm. They deter people from making comments or talking to you, eating up your precious detecting time (although I love to talk). ;D

Those are the pros, the cons are, can't hear someone (or a dog) coming up from behind you, can't hear rattlesnakes (detector-pro does make a headphone specifically for this and it only has one earpiece).

That and it's noise pollution to be in a public park where people go to get away from the city noise and have to hear a metal detector (or a pinpointer) beeping.

Cheers, Mark :icon_pirat:

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine at a thrift store for $5. ;D I think they help me hear the tones better but I also hunt parks and don't want everybody staring at me or complaining about the noise or asking me questions at every beep. Oh and my external seeker quit :dontknow: and I don't want to be without it long enough to send it in and have it fixed. I don't like the external speaker anyway.

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all, excellent feedback...I realize that I have much more to learn about the beeps coming from my detector, It makes sense what you all are saying in regards to hearing soft tones, sharp tones, length of tone, pitch, etc.
I'm curious enough now to try a set, and one of those pinpointers!

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
try detecting of a beach with wind and waves crashing ashore without headphones or near a noisy factory or a park with a ballgame going on. I wear mine around my neck if it is quiet enough so I can hear what is going on around me. besides they act like a tether.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also hear deeper faint signals you want hear on your speaker, you have noise that will block it, wind blowing and so on.....

BigPete

Aug 28, 2011
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is like the difference of listening to music with/and with out headphones. More clarity, more depth, etc..with the headphones.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think I would have found half the things I've found without headphones. If you hunt in iron (where all the good stuff is), you'll miss a lot of the good tones. Get headphones and learn your detector......and you'll know when you start to learn it. It's kind of like a eureka moment when your brain catches on to the tones :tongue3:

OP
OP
highnam

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right, I'm convinced. Really appreciate the help. Been detecting in the same area since I started detecting over a year ago with no headphones. Really curious to go over my hotspots again with headphones and listen carefully for the tones that i might have missed. Probably slow my swing speed down a bit, until im reading my detectors tones a little better.Any recommendations on a good set of headphones? Anybody have theirs last a long time?

spud

Mar 1, 2012
ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:dontknow: hopefully your hearing will never be as bad as mine ,headphones are a godsend :hello2:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
highnam said:
All right, I'm convinced. Really appreciate the help. Been detecting in the same area since I started detecting over a year ago with no headphones. Really curious to go over my hotspots again with headphones and listen carefully for the tones that i might have missed. Probably slow my swing speed down a bit, until im reading my detectors tones a little better.Any recommendations on a good set of headphones? Anybody have theirs last a long time?
BlackWidows!

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recommend headphones with with independent volume control for each ear. I'm almost deaf in my left ear but have less severe loss in my right (20+ years of working on aircraft will do that) so the independent volume lets me hear like a normal person when I detect. I'm too cheap to buy anything expensive, some headphones out there cost more than my detector, so I was lucky to get the pair I got. you just never know what you'll find at a thrift store.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first metal detector I got came with a set of headphones on an old TR discriminator, they're pretty much a must on a detector like that, I have used them since cause I go a lot by the sound of all the targets plus now days I have the benefit of the meter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions