whats with the headphones?

heavymetal

Nov 10, 2005
SEA - Philippines
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
I need one myself!

I was at a local park with lots of activities. Went to a spot with the least people. Then I got two kids following asking a few questions from time to time, it was all good.

Next thing I knew I was surrounded by kids, like 10 of them! Worst part is they got so noisy I can't hear my X-terra anymore :BangHead

Had to leave before wack them with my detector :tongue3:

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
When you wear headphones, you can exploit the fact that many a half-witted passerby probably thinks that in fact there is a good chance that you cannot hear him, or her. And they move along so to speak, forever wishing that they had in fact worked up the courage and asked "Hey dude, is that a gieger counter or somethin??". This phenomenon eliminates 99.9% of the annoyances caused by said passerby, simply because he (or she) will leave you alone. Kids...whole different ball game. Anyway, your machine's constant and if not devilishly annoying BEEP BEEP BEEEEEP BEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP DIDDLY BEEP BEEP, if not squelched by the headphones, would surely push the nice neighbors next to the tot lot, or the friendly folks at the park, over the edge of sanity, or at least elicit some dirty look(s).

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Fisher 1236X2 came with a set, then a wire broke inside the cable. I replaced them with a new set from eBay I got for under $30 plus shipping. They are better than the 1st pair. They have volumn controls on each ear and they're padded, comfortable and have a coil cable, nice pair for the money, they sound great. (Just search: Metal Detector Headphones) There are headphones that cost over $100+. I don't know what they would do differently than mine...and I'm not one to buy the most expensive items for my hobbies. These phones work great for me. I don't need the best, just something that works well. I just had to replace the male plug (today) on the end when a wire broke inside the cable (again) where it goes into the plug...it was cheap at Radio Shack $4 or so plus tax. I soldered the connections and it's good to go...It's just one of the things that happens with headphones, at least with me anyways; but I wouldn't be without them. Everything everyone said is true about sound, more clarity, missed signals, waves and outside noise etc. and warmth. Get a pair, you won't be sorry. :thumbsup: (Besides, I'm sure you'll cover the cost in extra coins found)

kawika

Tenderfoot
Feb 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES YES, I have been to some beach parks in the boonies where I see not alot of people , but they are there, I have a bounty hunter witch my friend had bought for me after I told her about a missing ring that I been looking for, with no luck, going off the deep end, I think I know my metal detector quite well, being so def and trying to keep my composer to the limits, i think I am going coo-coo! at least the general public think so,I did once use the ear muffs and they are great to use, but mines don`t come with a pair, so I`m really really gone coo cooz, it don`t bother me though ... Ugh !

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
testing123 said:
Headphones allow you to hear soft tones and the subtle changes in the threshold (threshhold?) which could indicate deep targets. With a gentle breeze, they could be lost without headphones. Plus they help keep the ears warm on cold days and keep the bugs away during summer.
...testing 123 your right on the money.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
disslike headphones! They get in the way when I go to retreve my target. I only wear them at the beach when I use my Surfmaster PI because it has no speaker and the surf and wind cancel out target sounds. My 2 Box has a good speaker, a good meter and a red light that light when it hits the cache. I guess it all depends on your method of operation.

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-3.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 518
    30.6 KB · Views: 514

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wireless headphones....such a beautiful thing :sign13:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
VW, the surfmaster comes with attached waterproof headphones!

Attachments

30.6 KB · Views: 388
    30.6 KB · Views: 383

VWandSTUDEBAKER

Jul 11, 2010
Gainesville FLorida
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites BHID, Whites SurfPlus,Whites 5900 Pro Sl, various other detectors, TRX pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn, I have a Surfmaster and a BHID, plus a V3i with wireless headphones. I love them :blob7:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And when there are 15 kids hovering around you can choose to ignore them, bore them by ignoring hits (and go back later), or at least silence them out (Black Widows null out most ambient background noise).

I made the mistake once of showing a little girl how it worked without headphones and giving her the quarter. I then had five more helpers instantly and several Mom's who thought I was luring kids to their doom with cash. I barely escaped a stroller beating and arrest by showing all the metal bits I had tucked in my trash pouch - which that day included a rusty single edged razor blade - Mom's hate razor blades almost as much loitering miscreants.

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Head phones, always. Why? Can hear subtle sounds for my Etrac. Less people talk to me. If they do I can ignore them if I don,t make eye contact. When at the beach or in loud environment. On windy days I can hear and they keep my hat on. When it is cold they keep my ears warm. Saves battery life.

Just about to wear out my favorite pair, "Rat Phones", I don,t think they are made any more.

The final and most important reason "As a courtesy when around other detectorist, park & beach goers or anyone in general."

Ed D.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
You can Ignore people and kids who ask what are you finding :BangHead:. Or like now I am down and Florida and I wish I had a Spanish Coin For every person that asked if I found any. The blue hairs are the worst.

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can see how the Headphones help , but when I got the pinpointer that is what made my digging a lot faster and I got a whole lot more done . Did I need the pinpointer ? No , you can work without them but it cut my time in hole to less than half on the average , so you might think about trying one of those !
You might borrow a pinpointer if you can and see. With the headphones and pinpointer you will find that hunting is a lot more fun and productive .

crankyolman22

Nov 20, 2008
Des Moines, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, pro pointer, F-point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daedalus said:
You can see how the Headphones help , but when I got the pinpointer that is what made my digging a lot faster and I got a whole lot more done . Did I need the pinpointer ? No , you can work without them but it cut my time in hole to less than half on the average , so you might think about trying one of those !
You might borrow a pinpointer if you can and see. With the headphones and pinpointer you will find that hunting is a lot more fun and productive .

Absolutely correct. I've actually started using both my pinpointers together. The pro-pointer gets me close then the f-point gets it right on. I had one of the Harbor Freight pinpointers (they call it a hand held metal detector) but I got salt water in it and killed it. If you want to try a pinpointer the HF one is cheap and works real good for a temporary solution.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
There are two number one reasons to wear headphones. Number one, you can hear the crap better, about a hundred times better. Number one, it silences the absolutely tormenting beep beep beep beeep bip bip swauak bip beep beep bip beep beep bit skwauawk grunt grunt blat grunt beep beep beep beep bp bp blip blip BEEP BEEEP BEEP blip beep beep BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP (I think I got a good one) BEEP BEEP. Okay pinpointing wwwEEEEEEeeee WEEEEEE eeeeeeeee eeeeeeeee Weeeee Weeeee Weeeeeeee Weeeeeee. Nobody wants to hear this crap.

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
headphones do a few things...
#1 block out background distraction noise like traffic, wind, or anything else...
#2 keep nosey people away. beeping attracts attention.
#3 lets you hear faint tones of deep items you'd miss without them

I am running a rechargable wireless set on my Etrac and I couldn't live with out them. Especially for under $100. Just got them a few weeks ago. no lag, great sound, and great battery life!

Attachments

• phones 1.jpg
    phones 1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 375
  • phones 1.jpg
    phones 1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 389

Nevada Coyote

Oct 20, 2009
Yerington, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Gold Digger, Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If yer like me, hard of hearing, they help. Yes, sometimes I wear them and sometimes I don't. Your choice.
Nevada Coyote

Silver Slayer

Jun 19, 2010
CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, XS, Minelab Excalibur Sea search, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Viddy said:
headphones do a few things...
#1 block out background distraction noise like traffic, wind, or anything else...
#2 keep nosey people away. beeping attracts attention.
#3 lets you hear faint tones of deep items you'd miss without them

I am running a rechargable wireless set on my Etrac and I couldn't live with out them. Especially for under $100. Just got them a few weeks ago. no lag, great sound, and great battery life!

Viddy
What brand wireless headphones are you using there? I like the fact that there is no delay :hello2:

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For all of the above reasons...Get headphones! I have many sets and sometimes you can get a set at a garage sale for a reasonable price. I purchased a set of headphones that was used at a recording studio at a yard sale for 5 bucks! The musician was selling everything off! They are awesome! The sound quality is excellent and it seems like it picks up every signal from the detector! Great set of headphones and no other set has ever compared to them!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread