✅ SOLVED whats with the rounded ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
DSC09552.JPG are these reworked?? into??
I have a couple a dozen of this shape and have always wondered what they were.

Upvote 0

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The grey one looks to be a broken tip that's been worked into what we call around here as a teardrop scraper..

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ho hum.. I don't think I need to try to explain to the people here that know full well that artifacts like blades and points come in different sizes and after re-sharpening get smaller.
That often leaves them fatter looking on the base in comparison to the length of the blade.. I'm not going to have a silly pissing match with you. Same thing all the time... I'm sure everybody is as tired of it as I am.. There's been more than enough information laid out in this thread for an educated person to make a decision

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Hmm. No, you probably don't need to explain that to very many. It's artifacts 101.

Maybe, (but I doubt) you can explain to me and all those people you mention why these pieces would be worn down this far and show no use wear. Give it your best shot gator. Outlaw says only one appears to be reworked.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Just what I thought. You have no explanation for what is obvious about those little pieces..

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LoL.. What about tools being made in different sizes don't you get?

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
gatorboy quote "LoL.. What about tools being made in different sizes don't you get? "

I get different sized tools being made. I have a bunch of them.

I Don't get 'halfted knives" as you have identified them, being made that small. I understand larger blades being worked down to small blades. I don't understand why those little halfted knives show no use wear. I do understand discarding short wore down blades, but I don't understand why those small blades would have all the pressure flaking you identified on those very nice edges, when they are the size most often found all used up. I think they are something else.

maybe since you were so positive in your ID, you can get serious and clear this up for the benefit of all of us.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Outlaw, thanks for the additional pictures. I'm starting to think the one gray piece is a bifacialy worked thumb scraper or tear drop type as fishstik mentioned. The end looks knocked off to a steep bevel like most of them scrapers do.

Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outlaw they are sweet looking artifacts,i think you can call them a tool kit because they would use them like they are then later notch them into a point but i am no expert and there are few of them on here also eveyone even the experts just have an opinion based on there background,some work harder at having a better one though.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all the tiny little thumb scrapers you find out your way it surprises me that you wouldn't understand why a cutting tool would be made small.
There is so many examples in my collection and all over the internet and in books and archaeological reports just study of them a little bit.
A big blade was not going to be used on a rodent or rabbit or fish it's just what was needed is what was made
By the time I'm done I should wind up ending this like you did with.." lesson complete" .. That was pretty funny quit

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys are funny. Every one has their own guesses. Nobody will ever know for sure. Ill show one I have found recent.

Attachments

• 100_4248.JPG
    100_4248.JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 63

WVhillbilly

Nov 23, 2013
Could have been a point that they also used as a knife. They used what they had accordingly id say...

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is one from Texas, on the left.

Attachments

• 100_4575.JPG
    100_4575.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 65

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without getting off track the one on the left looks like a pre form that was in the thinning stage and hinged in a very bad spot and was probably not completed or given a new purpose.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its very sharp and has a needle tip is all I know. Might be a flake that has been modified as a tool and has secondary flaking all along the edges. The age on this type of flint shows as tiny white dots. I enjoy the study of all different types of flint from different states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread