Wheat War # 55 Dad vs Tanner with pics odd 1993 aluminum? cent

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Dad did well this Wheat War, Dad's $25 in cents came form various banks while looking for customer rolled halves. He wins the with 17 Wheats. (oldest 1929) a King George V (1936 needed for our Canada cent book) our second this week. He also found a steel looking 1993 cent. A magnet does not stick so it is not steel. Perhaps it is aluminum or has been colored. Tanner went with a $25 Brinks Box of cents from BoA near Waterford, MI he manged 11 wheats (oldest 1934) and a 1947 King Geroge VI.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

PS Tanner Teaser: He has gone nuclear in battle # 56

Attachments

• Wheat War 55.JPG
    Wheat War 55.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 684
  • 1993 aluminum.JPG
    1993 aluminum.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 770
Last edited:
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cent is not aluminum, but good eye! It's likely one of those High school chemistry experiments where they dip the cent in a solution, and stick it over a fire to turn gold or silver colored. It also looks like the 1947 KG cent has the maple leaf next to the date, not valueable, but a vareity coin :)

Nice findings on the older wheats and the KGV cent too!
Looking forward to next post, ever try nickel wars? Those would be fun to do too
HH,
Buff

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
It also looks like the 1947 KG cent has the maple leaf next to the date, not valueable, but a vareity coin :)

Buff
There is an interesting story behind the 1947 maple leaf coins. On the back of Canadian coins back in the day the was an inscription that reads "ET IND:IMP". This is latin and virtually means "emperor of India", referring to the monarch on the coin. In late in 1947 India gained independence from the British and so this inscription had to be removed. The mint was working on making a new set of dies with the modified inscription but coins still needed to be struck in 1948. The new dies were not ready for most of 1948 so many coins were struck using a 1947 die with a maple leaf punched after the date to signify the coins were struck in 1948. The 1948 cent is less common but not that valuable. It's always fun to find some good history in coins.

ckrakowski

May 7, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now i can not wait for the next battle. how do you knw he is going to go nuclear? have you guys already done the battle and you know the results? if so please post them.

OP
OP
gordon and tanner

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
now i can not wait for the next battle. how do you knw he is going to go nuclear? have you guys already done the battle and you know the results? if so please post them.

Sometimes we a few battles ahead, and there may be a day or two wait until we post. We often to 3 or 4 battles when we are at our cabin and the delay may be a week as we have no internet up North.

Dad and Tanner

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the penny is not aluminum, because it would feel extremely light, almost like you had nothing in your hand. I don't think you had that experience, since you didn't post about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread