When Are You To Old To Fight The Surf?

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hit bobby pin beach at low tide today. Beautiful weather and a good crowd on the beach. Headed out into the surf that wasn't too rough. However I noticed the strong undertow. This beach has a sandbar and numerous low spots and high spots. After sometime in chest high water I was working my way back in. That's when I stepped in a hole that was really deep. Once my left leg went in I was doing a balancing act like tight rope walker. That's when I got hit with a giant wave as I was falling. I let the scoop go because I didn't want to get cut. But the heavy wooden handle speared me in the side as I went under. Then another wave and the scoop handle was still there and whacked me in the head. Once I got out I was moving in another direction and passed the two lifeguards. The one I have seen in the past says we gave you a 10. When are you too old???

NEVER

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do know that I want to go for a long hot-air balloon ride, and a nice long helicopter ride, and ya never know what else I just might try :headbang:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhhh. Love all "the lifer's". Active and enduring, isn't it great? We take our knocks, heal up and go right back at it!!!!Proud of you all! :notworthy: :occasion14:
And who goes camping and fishing??? I do, and now I am about to learn fly fishing! I already love to ice fish. "Woot" for me! And I do believe there are more adventure's along the way. Yes i do

Camping, fly fishing, kayak touring, I really miss those north country adventures a lot. "Ice Fishing"....I use to enjoy it when I was much younger but now I'd only go if I could fish through the floor of a heated lodge. :laughing7:

OP
OP
NJcigarman

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
You folks are Great!!!! That is why the MD community is what it is today.

SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are the adventurous young lady. I was in a hilo squadron for years for rescue. If you do, you have to do the one in Alaska that takes you to the glacers. It's a OMG trip. Did it on a cruice. Good Luck. Hope you all don't mind me rambbling on?

Lady Pirate

Jul 8, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett AT PRO & Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if we don't make it to Alaska together (hubby & I) I guess I have to go alone after he meets his maker....He wants his ashes scattered over John's Hopkins glacier. His last wishes. Then he told me to travel and have a blast! What a man......
I was going to anyway :laughing7:

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I thought I'd would quit when I break a hip.... Hats off to all you guys and gals you just proved that if there is a will than there is away!!!!:notworthy:
I hope you all have many, many, many more years of hunting bliss!!

SnT

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
59 here, and I prefer the surf.

Everybody don't point at you when you accidentally pee yourself because you hit gold.

`aaaaaah whoops!

OP
OP
NJcigarman

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Isn't it nice to have friends on the beach. I talked with this young lady who was working the dry sand the day of my mishap. She sent me an email and told me this is what I looked like. Lovely

th.jpg

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit bobby pin beach at low tide today. Beautiful weather and a good crowd on the beach. Headed out into the surf that wasn't too rough. However I noticed the strong undertow. This beach has a sandbar and numerous low spots and high spots. After sometime in chest high water I was working my way back in. That's when I stepped in a hole that was really deep. Once my left leg went in I was doing a balancing act like tight rope walker. That's when I got hit with a giant wave as I was falling. I let the scoop go because I didn't want to get cut. But the heavy wooden handle speared me in the side as I went under. Then another wave and the scoop handle was still there and whacked me in the head. Once I got out I was moving in another direction and passed the two lifeguards. The one I have seen in the past says we gave you a 10. When are you too old???
NEVER

It’s not a matter of age.
It is a matter of will power, water skills, physical fitness and luck. Nature will let you know when you get it wrong.
To return to the surf after proven wrong is a matter of will power.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread