When do I graduate? Newbie to Novice

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Question: When do I graduate from being a Newbie?

Been at it for 5 weeks now, and well - - - I have to admit to learning
a thing or two.
Today 33 coins and one piece of jewelry and only 4 digs that turned
out to be bad targets.
I've learned to discriminate the trash, how to keep my hands clean,
cut a nice replaceable plug, and how not to clean my finds.

I think I can move up to being a Novice or Beginner, or SOMETHING!!
Whaddya say?? 8)

Attachments

• Feb9pen.jpg
    Feb9pen.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 342
  • Feb9QNJ.jpg
    Feb9QNJ.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 338
  • Feb9dime.jpg
    Feb9dime.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 336
  • Feb9pen.jpg
    Feb9pen.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 337
  • Feb9QNJ.jpg
    Feb9QNJ.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 328
  • Feb9dime.jpg
    Feb9dime.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 335

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
mgdigger said:
After the first 100 hours of hunting you should be in the novice level

That and 3 intact zipper pulls should do it!

Sounds like you are off to a great start. Keep it up. It just gets more enjoyable the more you learn!
HH

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Simple: Send me 1/2 of all your finds (you pay postage), and at the end of one year, I send you a plaque announcing your status as "Novice". If you do this for two years, I send you a plaque pronouncing you "stud-muffin". Any more questions?

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Tom_in_CA said:
Simple: Send me 1/2 of all your finds (you pay postage), and at the end of one year, I send you a plaque announcing your status as "Novice". If you do this for two years, I send you a plaque pronouncing you "stud-muffin". Any more questions?

Ha, Good one!
I'll do that when you invest in my secret project for a toll-booth on the
Brooklyn Bridge. It should bring in millions!

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
When you have metal detected half your life,,,,,,or had had at least one detector longer than you than your teenage childred ;D

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
when your other half believes that you're out detecting and not stepping out.
just kidding, honestly I don't think anybody can give you the right answer. if you learn something new everyday, you're still learning, hence, newbie. If you think you know it all you're warped and need a different vocation in life.

LMAO Sniffer

BARGuy

Jan 9, 2007
Out & About
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Di Pro SL
Shoot...I'm older than most of the dirt I'm diggin' in & I still learn something most every day!

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Whoooaa Hold on there little buddy. I notice a few amaturish things right away. Like the fact that you not only dug some zinc pennies but even chose to display five of them in this thread alone. secondly you also are having problems staying clear of the target with your diggin tool. I note qurters as well as dimes with scratch marks which totally destroys the value. What if by chance you find something really rare , maybe a one of a kind worth millions. You know us experts are really taken a chance on you new guys ruining a very valuable piece of history. So How about at least a years worth of practice before lookin to advance up the ranks. Practice makes you almost as good as the rest of us. :D :D :D

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
prospect -- yeah -- thats it no longer a total newbie but still a long way to go --hang around and learn ,learn , learn -- thats the ticket theres always stuff to learn round here .

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UncleVinnys said:
Question: When do I graduate from being a Newbie?

When enough even more Newbies pile up behind you and you start to pass along what tips and experiences that you've picked up on to them.

There are five stages:

Know nothing, tell little, ask little
Know little, tell much, ask more
Know some, tell most, ask seldom
Know more, tell less, ask little
Know much, tell little, ask little

And, just as in the larger picture of life in general: those at the level of the 15 years olds think they know more than anyone else of any age. ;-)

Timberwolf

Silver Member
Sep 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Eagle II SL90/Eagle Spectrum/TF-900
There is nothing wrong with being a "newbie". We have all been there. Some of us stay there longer than others, LOL.

I don't know the answer to your question...but I wouldn't worry about weather I was a newbie, novice or a pro. Just enjoy yourself, have fun and just keep learning. We are never too old to learn.

Timberwolf

Stacylee926

Dec 29, 2006
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Discovery 1100
When you upgrade machines, buy multiple sets of knee pads, have broken several shovels, have a set of clothes JUST for metal detecting and treat your MD like your American Express card - NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!!!

Oh, and you have a little corner of your trunk all set up with bottled water, baby wipes, trash bags, extra shoes etc just in case you see that perfect spot. LOL

OP
OP
UncleVinnys

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
MD Dog said:
Whoooaa Hold on there little buddy. I notice a few amaturish things right away. Like the fact that you not only dug some zinc pennies but even chose to display five of them in this thread alone. secondly you also are having problems staying clear of the target with your diggin tool. I note qurters as well as dimes with scratch marks which totally destroys the value. What if by chance you find something really rare , maybe a one of a kind worth millions. You know us experts are really taken a chance on you new guys ruining a very valuable piece of history. So How about at least a years worth of practice before lookin to advance up the ranks. Practice makes you almost as good as the rest of us. :D :D :D

Now a SENSITIVE guy might be insulted by that :-\ , but I can see whatcha mean.
Great advice - Thanks.

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Sorry no intent to offend intended. Just all tongue in cheek as I took the original post to be really we all make them same mistakes no matter how long we been at it. ;) ;) ;)

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
Well , it's kind of like getting your first motorcycle . Just when you think you,ve got it mastered
you bust your butt . Also I didn't see anything in there about chiggers , snakebites and a gazillion
other md'ing technical qualifications you must meet before you get your novice diploma . I've
been at it a little over a year & according to the oldtimers I'm not even close . I'm beginning to
think we'll just have to wait for them to die off before we can move up . Only problem is I got
started a little late & am afraid those old geezers are going to outlive me . Shucks I may be a
newbee for life . Just ain't fair .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread