When it comes to colonial silver...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...you can never have enough!! Would you believe I found a 3rd French silver dating to the 1690s? After finding two French silver in a week I stopped back at the site this afternoon after work to start gridding the area where the other two came from. I'm a new family man so my detecting time is limited thus I haven't been able to devote the time to the site as I would have in the past...not to mention it is a huge site. After about 20 minutes of carefull gridding I got a familiar tone on the F75. Flipped the furrow and there it was...1692 Louis 14th French 4 Sol!!!

After finding three of these you would think that these are common but they really aren't. Very rare to find French silver let alone from the 1600s. Remember, North America was first settled in 1604 so these coins are less than 90 years after that!!!

Unfortunately it gets dark way too early so time was again limited...but I will be back!!! With the exception of a light rinse the silver is as dug...going to keep it that way. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• even more french silver 005.jpg
    even more french silver 005.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 969
  • even more french silver 009.jpg
    even more french silver 009.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 959
Upvote 0

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Amazing, Romeo! :headbang: I hope you nail the motherlode of 1690s French silvers. You are closing in on the site of a 1600s dwelling.

Kyle

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without a doubt this will be one site you will never forget. Congrats big time on your third 1690s silver, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to explain how you come up with what you do!

I wonder how many you need to be on the banner, maybe the whole roll?

Attachments

• banner_monkey.jpg
    banner_monkey.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 926
  • banner_monkey.jpg
    banner_monkey.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 926

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least the good news is you're still about 100 years away from beating me on the oldest. ;D (I probably just cursed myself)

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
"Romeo, Romeo. HOW far art thou Romeo" I'd say far and above any spot i'll ever hit. Congratulations my man and for crying out loud. "Banner already"
Chris

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's cool is none of the coins are the same. Looks like Metz mint for that one.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
must be more, ditch the baby & get serious :D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
At least the good news is you're still about 100 years away from beating me on the oldest. ;D (I probably just cursed myself)

Ah yes Romeo, time for a 16th century Douzain, dig those foil signals to find one!!
;D
Don

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:

Ah yes Romeo, time for a 16th century Douzain, dig those foil signals to find one!!
;D
Don

There is ZERO question they are in his area. Heck there's probably some that weren't even restruck, or stamped, circulated as a Douzain.

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
What's cool is none of the coins are the same. Looks like Metz mint for that one.

Cool...I couldn't make out the mint mark on this one but I knew it was different from the other two.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Iron Patch said:

dig those foil signals to find one!!
;D
Don

Say Wha... That's not what Kirk says! :wink: ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:

Cool...I couldn't make out the mint mark on this one but I knew it was different from the other two.

AA

wildwood

Oct 20, 2009
Great job! Wasn't it to you that I posted that things come in three's ?! :) Congrats again!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wildwood said:
Great job! Wasn't it to you that I posted that things come in three's ?! :) Congrats again!

what happens when he gets 5 ::)

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don in SJ said:
Without a doubt this will be one site you will never forget. Congrats big time on your third 1690s silver, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don

The funny thing is i've been hunting this area for three years with very little to show for it. The only thing that kept me going back was the potential of a great find. I think that potential is starting to pay off!!

The only difference is that it has just been ploughed for the first time since i started hunting the site. Good thing is there are many, many more acres yet to be ploughed!

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I have a feeling that there is going to be less and less to find as the days slip by......

but, that's awesome that you got the hat-trick, congrats once again!!

remember, save some for me :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions