When it comes to colonial silver...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...you can never have enough!! Would you believe I found a 3rd French silver dating to the 1690s? After finding two French silver in a week I stopped back at the site this afternoon after work to start gridding the area where the other two came from. I'm a new family man so my detecting time is limited thus I haven't been able to devote the time to the site as I would have in the past...not to mention it is a huge site. After about 20 minutes of carefull gridding I got a familiar tone on the F75. Flipped the furrow and there it was...1692 Louis 14th French 4 Sol!!!

After finding three of these you would think that these are common but they really aren't. Very rare to find French silver let alone from the 1600s. Remember, North America was first settled in 1604 so these coins are less than 90 years after that!!!

Unfortunately it gets dark way too early so time was again limited...but I will be back!!! With the exception of a light rinse the silver is as dug...going to keep it that way. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• even more french silver 005.jpg
    even more french silver 005.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 969
  • even more french silver 009.jpg
    even more french silver 009.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 959
Upvote 0
OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garabaldi said:
I'm not worthy :notworthy:. Could you take an image of all four so we could see them together? Great job New Englander. :icon_thumleft:

I'll get a group shot posted...but there's only 3...so far! ;D

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You must get a group shot on here! :icon_thumleft: Congrats on being such a successful hunter! :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Garabaldi said:
I'm not worthy :notworthy:. Could you take an image of all four so we could see them together? Great job New Englander. :icon_thumleft:

I'll get a group shot posted...but there's only 3...so far! ;D

it will be 5 soon

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Only if it had never been ploughed before. If it was, and I would imagine that is the case, it's pretty unlikely 3 coins were too deep before, then all were brought to the surface. I think it's more like you just happened to get lucky and hit the first, so knew where to concentrate your effort.

Absolutely. More often than not, metal detecting seems to be a matter of focus and concentration. One good find can be the difference between an incredible hunt and walking right through a highly productive area.

It's happened to me many times.

Romeo--I don't really know what to say. I thought the first one was top notch. The second was amazing. The Third one is Incredible.

Good luck to you in your return trip to the site.

-Buckles

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Iron Patch said:
Hard to explain how you come up with what you do!

I wonder how many you need to be on the banner, maybe the whole roll?
apparently you will need a whole roll. I'm sure all of us regulars have voted banner everytime a 1600's silver was found an still not on banner..yet more common but also rare items keep filling the banner...

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Unbelievable Romeo :icon_thumleft:

I remember reading IP's response to you first one last week :laughing7:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:headbang: :headbang:

Romeo fantastic recovery :o I said in the outher thread of yours....you could be on a scattered hoard :o get back and hammer that area :thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
:headbang: :headbang:

Romeo fantastic recovery :o I said in the outher thread of yours....you could be on a scattered hoard :o get back and hammer that area :thumbsup:

SS

Working on it. Spent an hour there this afternoon and came out with just a crusty copper. Thought I had found a 4th...but it turned out to be a flat button of the same size...next time.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thought you had a house shoe, then a thought of a whole team.
Your luck is really just keeps going, from a real baby to these babes. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hardy

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2006
3RD TENT TO THE RIGHT
Detector(s) used
NAUTILUS DMC 2BA
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep at her bud , I think she's going to pay more in the future and do it in all metal mode me son :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread