When it comes to colonial silver...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...you can never have enough!! Would you believe I found a 3rd French silver dating to the 1690s? After finding two French silver in a week I stopped back at the site this afternoon after work to start gridding the area where the other two came from. I'm a new family man so my detecting time is limited thus I haven't been able to devote the time to the site as I would have in the past...not to mention it is a huge site. After about 20 minutes of carefull gridding I got a familiar tone on the F75. Flipped the furrow and there it was...1692 Louis 14th French 4 Sol!!!

After finding three of these you would think that these are common but they really aren't. Very rare to find French silver let alone from the 1600s. Remember, North America was first settled in 1604 so these coins are less than 90 years after that!!!

Unfortunately it gets dark way too early so time was again limited...but I will be back!!! With the exception of a light rinse the silver is as dug...going to keep it that way. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• even more french silver 005.jpg
    even more french silver 005.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 969
  • even more french silver 009.jpg
    even more french silver 009.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 959
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:
Without a doubt this will be one site you will never forget. Congrats big time on your third 1690s silver, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don

The funny thing is i've been hunting this area for three years with very little to show for it. The only thing that kept me going back was the potential of a great find. I think that potential is starting to pay off!!

The only difference is that it has just been ploughed for the first time since i started hunting the site. Good thing is there are many, many more acres yet to be ploughed!

the plough - 'friend & foe', but to me mostly friend :icon_thumright:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:
Without a doubt this will be one site you will never forget. Congrats big time on your third 1690s silver, :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don

The funny thing is i've been hunting this area for three years with very little to show for it. The only thing that kept me going back was the potential of a great find. I think that potential is starting to pay off!!

The only difference is that it has just been ploughed for the first time since i started hunting the site. Good thing is there are many, many more acres yet to be ploughed!

The only reason that would make a difference if it was too long, or was hunted (and it's probably neither). I wouldn't be waiting for the plough if I could swing. It there's a site there, it's just as much there now as when ploughed, just gotta find it.

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
How do you do it ???? I cant imagine finding ONE of those !!

I would be looking forward to the spring swingin' season myself.

Congrats on #3 :notworthy:

VPR

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

The only reason that would make a difference if it was too long, or was hunted (and it's probably neither). I wouldn't be waiting for the plough if I could swing. It there's a site there, it's just as much there now as when ploughed, just gotta find it.

That's the thing...i have hunted the area before...the plough dug down deep in this field so that may have made the difference.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
romeo-1 said:
Iron Patch said:
romeo-1 said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

That's the thing...i have hunted the area before...the plough dug down deep in this field so that may have made the difference.

Only if it had never been ploughed before. If it was, and I would imagine that is the case, it's pretty unlikely 3 coins were too deep before, then all were brought to the surface. I think it's more like you just happened to get lucky and hit the first, so knew where to concentrate your effort.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Romeo, that is just freakin awesome...hmmmm again there may be more..

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!!! Even if this doesn't make the banner, it is going to be the group of finds I think I'll remember best from Tnet. 3 French silvers from the 1600's. Talk about a roll.

:icon_thumright:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Romeo, you are proving to be one heck of a hunter. You are making these finds look very easy to find. I am really enjoying seeing you show Iron Patch up. :laughing9: He would have to move to France to make finds like that. :laughing7:

Just think, if you weren't a family man, you would have a bunch more. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
Romeo, you are proving to be one heck of a hunter. You are making these finds look very easy to find. I am really enjoying seeing you show Iron Patch up. :laughing9: He would have to move to France to make finds like that. :laughing7:

Just think, if you weren't a family man, you would have a bunch more. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

Showing me up.... You haven't posted anything good in 2 months! :laughing9: My year is already made my friend. :headbang:

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't beat that, I'd be happy with a silver at all about now :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
romeo-1

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunthicks said:
Can't beat that, I'd be happy with a silver at all about now :icon_thumright:

Good to see you posting over here! I can see a big silver post coming from you very soon...you're onto some good old sites!

HomesteadHunter

Nov 14, 2008
Amherstburg, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75.
Good lord man, if you don't give in and admit that their is a 1600s site nearby, i'm going to have to drive all the way out there and give you a good shake!. I think you need to take some nice pics of all three of your 1600s silvers together. If they don't make the banner, i'll be amazed. Three different 1600s silvers from one site is truely rare, and its what colonial coin and relic hunting is all about.

James.
HomesteadHunter.

Ray in CA

Oct 11, 2007
Quincy, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari with SEF 8x6; coming soon: FORS Gold+
Beautiful little coin!! Looks to be not much bigger than a US dime. Congrats!

Ray

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread