Where dio you....

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I set my detector discrimination at 6 out of 100 to just eliminate iron.

Detectors don't know trash from treasure. They only know ferrous (iron) from non-ferrous and after that it is just relative conductivity. Some trash (like most aluminum) is more conductive than gold.

I'd rather see and hear it all and make my decision to dig or not on how the target reacts. If I sweep from different directions and lift or lower the coil while swinging I will get a better idea if it is a wad of foil or bottlecap vs a coin.

If you aren't digging a lot of trash then you won't get a lot of jewelry.

By digging a lot of trash you also learn how your detector indicates it. That way, in an area with a lot of caps or pull-tabs you can be more selective in ignoring those readings. If they start to wear you out - THEN filter out a specific junk reading.

But, if you want a place to start. Bring along a nickle and set it on the ground, then tune the eliminator to just accept that with a solid hit. If you only want the really good coins - do it with a dime. BUT - remember - a clad dime IS junk compared to a silver one and your detector can't tell much difference. The coin shape is "hardwired" to be desirable in the circuitry used.

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set my detector discrimination at 6 out of 100 to just eliminate iron.

Detectors don't know trash from treasure. They only know ferrous (iron) from non-ferrous and after that it is just relative conductivity. Some trash (like most aluminum) is more conductive than gold.

I'd rather see and hear it all and make my decision to dig or not on how the target reacts. If I sweep from different directions and lift or lower the coil while swinging I will get a better idea if it is a wad of foil or bottlecap vs a coin.

If you aren't digging a lot of trash then you won't get a lot of jewelry.

By digging a lot of trash you also learn how your detector indicates it. That way, in an area with a lot of caps or pull-tabs you can be more selective in ignoring those readings. If they start to wear you out - THEN filter out a specific junk reading.

But, if you want a place to start. Bring along a nickle and set it on the ground, then tune the eliminator to just accept that with a solid hit. If you only want the really good coins - do it with a dime. BUT - remember - a clad dime IS junk compared to a silver one and your detector can't tell much difference. The coin shape is "hardwired" to be desirable in the circuitry used.

+ 1

Believe me, that scratchy mid tone can be a gold ring....

Chub

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread