Which detector is best for finding iron pot with gold coins?

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
I have posted before about my hidden property treasure and now I need a good detector. My old trustee White detector has found some really cool junk and coins but I need one to go deeper for this ultimate find! There are high levels of minerals such as ore and even gold in the area where I live so I need something with great distinction. I live in an area where there is strong strip of these minerals going through our land here. Most of the items I have found have also been iron along with many horse and oxen shoes. I am not sure what those are made of.........

I am not sure how deep the pot is buried but the elderly man with the help of slave ( who did not survive that night to keep this quiet) died 3 days later from traveling a long way in bad weather with his gold. He left a lot of fun signs to follow though. The gold owner was a surveyor and a mason so I am also trying to interpet these markings.

I have put off my hunt due to a total knee replacement in Nov and very sick teen daughter who will need brain surgery soon. Finding this gold could help save her life as we travel many miles to NY to a doctor. Even with insurance there are so many things not covered including travel, hotels and cop's that are horrible for out of state issues. We leave for NY March 15! She may not have the surgery on that date but it will be scheduled then unless it appears to be life threatening. My daughter wants to graduate high school in June before surgery!

So we need prayers and and advice!!! Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Dawgwood

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any high end detector should go deep enough unless you think
it was buried at the bottom of an outhouse.

if an Iron Pot with an Iron Lid
you would want to search in all Metal though.

I Doubt many caches are deeper then arms Length.
& A beer can,
can be detected that deep

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
jeff of pa said:
any high end detector should go deep enough unless you think
it was buried at the bottom of an outhouse.

if an Iron Pot with an Iron Lid
you would want to search in all Metal though.

I Doubt many caches are deeper then arms Length.
& A beer can,
can be detected that deep

eeewwww, I'm glad I don't know where the old outhouse was or I may be tempted..........

I can't find the location of the old well or wells either. There was about 21 slave quarters here too. Nothing recorded show the well location.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
What state are you in? There are some good people here, who will help you at no charge. That does not mean not to beware, but you can tell when a person truly wants to help. Good luck and our prayer are with you and your daughter. :thumbsup:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Only thing I forgot to mention.

A Large coil added would be a Plus

Not only for added depth but for fuller Coverage.

Preferably a DD (Double D) Coil

ac385

Jul 26, 2005
Ga

That's easy, MINE. I will let you use it to recover the gold and only charge you 5% of your find. ;D

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
AC385, Sir what part of the daughter needing an operation do you not understand. Help them for free and the feeling in your heart will be reward enough.

hoover-jr

Jul 27, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
XLT/Explorer II
If it was me I would use a 2-box detector.That will give you your depth and eliminate all the smaller signals, as it will only pick up larger targets and deep ones too.I'd forget the larger coil as you'd still pick up smaller objects.
hoover-jr

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
ac385 said:

That's easy, MINE. I will let you use it to recover the gold and only charge you 5% of your find. ;D

Thanks! I will keep that in mind ;D

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
Thanks I may hollar back at yall for more help! That should give a little hint of my state as someone ask earlier!

I really appreciate all of the advice and I will let you know what I get and what works!

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
I wanted to get out this weekend for a major hunt but it's going to rain here fairly heavy.

My daughter gets to wait until after her HS graduation in June for her brain surgery. She was thrilled with that news. Hope we find the gold before then, even with insurance it's going to be a booger to pay for. We saw a great surgeon last week in NY so there is great hope for her future recovery.

How does the moisture of the ground effect detecting or does it in any way?

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
i think i saw that you said there were old stories of the cemetery being haunted ?...sounds like a probable burial spot to me.....on the detector i would say a minelab if not suspected toooo deep...an old garrett cx3 with an 18 inch coil if thought to be a bit deeper...if as deep as i would think {3-4 feet to top at least} i would go with a good pulse unit like the maxi pulse plus....two boxes show too much mineralization and/or do not have the hoped for depth, at least that has been my experience with them....some pulse units are okay but still hit the mineral...maxipulse unit so far has not caused the first hole to hard rocks........if shallow enough a $100 flea market detector should hit the iron pot like it was a volkswagen.............

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
gldhntr said:
i think i saw that you said there were old stories of the cemetery being haunted ?...sounds like a probable burial spot to me.....on the detector i would say a minelab if not suspected toooo deep...an old garrett cx3 with an 18 inch coil if thought to be a bit deeper...if as deep as i would think {3-4 feet to top at least} i would go with a good pulse unit like the maxi pulse plus....two boxes show too much mineralization and/or do not have the hoped for depth, at least that has been my experience with them....some pulse units are okay but still hit the mineral...maxipulse unit so far has not caused the first hole to hard rocks........if shallow enough a $100 flea market detector should hit the iron pot like it was a volkswagen.............

Thanks. We have a lot of minerals in this area. I put a post in my hurried signs about the gold being buried in 1841 instead of 1863 and after investigation thought to be Bechtler's gold. Even though we own the cemetery I am not comfortable digging there, if so it would be my secret! There are so many sunken places and some without stones close by.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be in a false grave with made up headstone. (great hiding place)
I would use a two box detector especially if it could be 6 ft under.
They will pick up a gold vein as well.

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
Goodyguy said:

I have thought of the gold in the graveyard and false stones, but if he were buried 3 days later in that very cemetery would not the family have noticed a newly dug spot or grave and become suspicious? He buried the gold and died 3 days later with no prior warning that he was even sick except for a "cold" which became worse over the next 3 days after he buried the gold.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dawgwood said:
Goodyguy said:

I have thought of the gold in the graveyard and false stones, but if he were buried 3 days later in that very cemetery would not the family have noticed a newly dug spot or grave and become suspicious? He buried the gold and died 3 days later with no prior warning that he was even sick except for a "cold" which became worse over the next 3 days after he buried the gold.

Good point.
Unless he did an excellent job of hiding the evidence. Maybe he just buried it underneath a headstone which would cover up any sign of digging. That's what I would do.

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
Goodyguy said:
dawgwood said:
Goodyguy said:

Good point.
Unless they did an excellent job of hiding the evidence. Maybe they just buried it underneath a headstone which would cover up any sign of digging. That's what I would do.

I went out today and someone had put a wooden post right outside the cemetery. Beside it I found a tape measure. I had my detector with me but not a shovel. Where the stick was there was the MD went crazy. Some one has been looking on my property and mark a hot spot. I am going to put more no tresspassing post up tomorrow. I don't know what else to do to people off of my property. This 3 foot tall stick was not there 2 weeks ago. I can't afford to fence it all unless I find the gold, then I may not care so much. I hope to dig this spot soon. I hurt my back today helping my husband pull up stumps so tomorrow may not work for me but I may try anyway and will post afterwards.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread