Which detector is best for finding iron pot with gold coins?

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One time I got a roll of yellow "crime scene do not cross" tape and cordoned off an area with it and I spray painted a couple of outlines of bodies on the ground. It scared the trespassers off. They had been camping on my property. Its cheap and the trespassers think maybe the cops are watching for someone to return to the scene of the crime. or that trespassers really do get shot!
For sure it let them know that they were not in an isolated area that no one else knew about.

It just may work for you and it's safer than booby traps. You could also put evidence stickers on the post they left. :thumbsup:

Here is where you can get the tape and other detective supplies sold to the public.
http://www.crimescene.com/store/ind...oducts_id=34&gclid=COyCqZSA05kCFRIhnAodNwG8ug

I know.....I know......It's a gift ;D

Goodyguy~
Detectives make good treasure hunters.

Shiloh1

Mar 9, 2009
Hendersonville, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another idea that just might work is to talk to someone in the sheriff's office and tell them you would like a business card to put on the stick. Then write on the card to call me. That should make them a bit nervous and the trespassing should stop.
Good Luck

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Dawgwood, add a new twist to this and get some help from some of the dowsers on treasurenet. I'm sure they would be willing to help for such a great cause. I pray everything goes well with your daughter and your back improves. I'm troubled by the fact that someone shows up by the cemetary a few days after it is brought up that the gold might hidden there. Someone in your state and close to your area might have been reading these posts. If so, shame on them....

JG

Nov 15, 2006
You want to go rent a Survey Stake locator. It is a magnetometer and nothing compares to depth of detection on large iron. A vlf is a waste of time and only a pulse can come near to comparison. The mag will detect beyond a pulse. It detects the stronger magnetic field of an iron object relative to the balance of the earth's magnetism at your location regardless of any variations as the earth's field changes. Most have one control feature: Sensitivity.

JG

Would that be simms gold? $3,000 after the civil war.

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
JG said:
You want to go rent a Survey Stake locator. It is a magnetometer and nothing compares to depth of detection on large iron. A vlf is a waste of time and only a pulse can come near to comparison. The mag will detect beyond a pulse. It detects the stronger magnetic field of an iron object relative to the balance of the earth's magnetism at your location regardless of any variations as the earth's field changes. Most have one control feature: Sensitivity.

JG

Would that be simms gold? $3,000 after the civil war.

Thanks I really enjoyed reading about how to keep the tresspassers out. I never thought about a survey stake locator, great idea.

The gold maybe Betchler's (hope that spelling is right) Gold from Rutherford co NC. I was told this was the type of gold used in the south during that time. Also, I don't know I mentioned it in this post or not but we found out the man who buried the gold died in 1841, not 1861 as first thought. I confirmed this from his tombstone and records. Thanks so much for all the help. I will plan a dig next week.

Maritime Ltd

Jul 8, 2007
I just joined and found your post. The absolute best way to find the pots is with a magnetometer.
Let me know if you still need help.
regards,
Carl

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !

I'd have to say my detector is the best for this. But sorry I don't lend mine out so if you call me I might be able to come find it,we can work out the details later ! ;D :wink:

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
MD Dog said:

I'd have to say my detector is the best for this. But sorry I don't lend mine out so if you call me I might be able to come find it,we can work out the details later ! ;D :wink:

wow, I might call but that photo of you to left is really scary! lol...........may not scare the guys but it freaks me. However it does appear you may have special magical powers of some kind. ;D

Anyway, still looking hope to make progress hitting massive amounts of beeps..........also dug where the tresspasser had put a wooden stick but had not yet dug and found a piece of iron, and a old blade and some kind of blacksmith made hitch, really cool but not what I am looking for.

Sofaman36

Aug 16, 2009
Gadsden, AL
Detector(s) used
Bountyhunter
I would highly suggest a Whites MXT 300! They are great machines and hit deep targets very well!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are depending on finding this pot of gold to defray your expenses I am afraid it's about like buying lottery tickets. The odds are against you. Just how many hidden treasures are found sight unseen? Not many. It often takes years of research and searching. You need to contact the Shriner's Hospital about your daughter. They may do the surgery for free and even find a place for you to stay while she is in the hospital. There are many free help places and organizations around like McDonald's House, etc. Check it out. I wish I could offer more than advice but regretfully I cannot. Monty

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab sovereign with a 15" coil on all metal. Or the Old Garrett Master Hunter with the two box.

I would suggest you contact a dowser and get the area narrowed down.

By the way if you discover an old out house, you may want to dig it some of the bottles that could be down there may be worth thousands :wink: Digging one ain't so bad, because all the yucky stuff has turned to an ash like substance.

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
Monty said:
If you are depending on finding this pot of gold to defray your expenses I am afraid it's about like buying lottery tickets. The odds are against you. Just how many hidden treasures are found sight unseen? Not many. It often takes years of research and searching. You need to contact the Shriner's Hospital about your daughter. They may do the surgery for free and even find a place for you to stay while she is in the hospital. There are many free help places and organizations around like McDonald's House, etc. Check it out. I wish I could offer more than advice but regretfully I cannot. Monty
Thanks Monty:
We were at Shriners but she was considered "too seriously ill" and sent to Vanderbilt. We have a great neurosurgeon and she should have surgery in the next 2-3 weeks. Sorry it took so long to answer but we have been spending most of our days in hospital. Finding the gold is a dream and a hope but nothing I am counting on for survivial at this time. As usual things are falling into place with medical finances as they come.

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
Sorry no post lately but as most of you know my teen daughter has been very sick and will have brain surgery in the next few weeks. Also we have not had a lot of time for gold hunting. We hope to have some time this weekend if weather permits. We did have a visit from a man at our local historic society last week. He came back with a map of our land from the 1800's. It was a copy of an old cloth map that was torn in places. I have no idea how to read this thing. He confirmed the "story" of gold on our land and how many have searched for it over the years. No professionals, just "a lot of people". I'll scan the map and see if any of you can see something I may be missing.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All you need is a rainbow.

jesus

May 9, 2009
Yes a magnetometer it is better, but maybe a little people have one if you have not some device to detect, is easy to get a two box detector like tf 900, this will make the job, remember you must dig all signals, because the device will sound with all metal of good size. Good luck.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
You might want to look into Tesoro detectors. You can use a small amount of discrimination to cut out small iron but due to Tesoro's "big iron override" you will still get larger iron. In 1994 I was using a Tesoro Bandido2 and got an iron dutch oven at a full 3 feet deep....and it was a LOUD signal.

Eddie

OP
OP
dawgwood

dawgwood

Oct 15, 2008
EddieR said:
You might want to look into Tesoro detectors. You can use a small amount of discrimination to cut out small iron but due to Tesoro's "big iron override" you will still get larger iron. In 1994 I was using a Tesoro Bandido2 and got an iron dutch oven at a full 3 feet deep....and it was a LOUD signal.

Eddie

Thanks, I am not familar with a Tesoro. Any idea where to find one?

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
dawgwood said:
EddieR said:

Eddie

Thanks, I am not familar with a Tesoro. Any idea where to find one?

There are several dealers here on TN that carry Tesoro ( I think). The Bandido2 that I used was several years old...Tesoro has several models out now that are awesome. The Silver Saber, the Cibola, the Vaquero....all of these have the "big iron override" that will enable you to get larger iron while blocking nails. Plus, Tesoro has a LIFETIME warranty....you can't beat that!

Eddie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread