Which detector is best for finding iron pot with gold coins?

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
If you are sure what you are looking for is iron or steel the best thing you will find on the market to find it will be a Schondstedt Metal Locator. It's used by surveyors and will only locate iron and steel but it is gauranteed from the factory to be able to locate an 18 inch long piece of 3/4 inch steel pipe at nine feet. It is not bothered by minerals in the soil. New they are about $850 but you can find used ones for $350 or so if you look around.

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dawgwood said:
I have posted before about my hidden property treasure and now I need a good detector. My old trustee White detector has found some really cool junk and coins but I need one to go deeper for this ultimate find! There are high levels of minerals such as ore and even gold in the area where I live so I need something with great distinction. I live in an area where there is strong strip of these minerals going through our land here. Most of the items I have found have also been iron along with many horse and oxen shoes. I am not sure what those are made of.........

I am not sure how deep the pot is buried but the elderly man with the help of slave ( who did not survive that night to keep this quiet) died 3 days later from traveling a long way in bad weather with his gold. He left a lot of fun signs to follow though. The gold owner was a surveyor and a mason so I am also trying to interpet these markings.

I have put off my hunt due to a total knee replacement in Nov and very sick teen daughter who will need brain surgery soon. Finding this gold could help save her life as we travel many miles to NY to a doctor. Even with insurance there are so many things not covered including travel, hotels and cop's that are horrible for out of state issues. We leave for NY March 15! She may not have the surgery on that date but it will be scheduled then unless it appears to be life threatening. My daughter wants to graduate high school in June before surgery!

So we need prayers and and advice!!! Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Dawgwood

So how is your daughter.....you still looking for the gold?......a few of us should get together for you and come over and cover a lot of ground and see what you get....

Tommy Torquemada

Mar 10, 2010
I know you guys were just joking around about booby traps, but they are illegal in most states. Too easy for an innocent person or child to get hurt. Posting is the best first step. Police tape is a great idea too if the area isn't too big.

Dawgwood, my prayers are with you and your daughter and family.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but I just found a listing for a find in N.C.- Buncombe Co. "A cache of Bechtler gold coins was discovered by treasure hunters in a tobacco shed on an abandon farm near Black Mt. The coins were rare and worth between $1k and $15k EACH. I hope this is not what you are looking for! I also hope your girl fares well.

Obscurist

Jan 14, 2009
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Frankn said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but I just found a listing for a find in N.C.- Buncombe Co. "A cache of Bechtler gold coins was discovered by treasure hunters in a tobacco shed on an abandon farm near Black Mt. The coins were rare and worth between $1k and $15k EACH. I hope this is not what you are looking for! I also hope your girl fares well.

Where did you find the report of this discovery? A link would be appreciated.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I found it the old fashion way. I guessed the state was N.C. and looked in my 10 volume set of U.S. Treasure Atlas. I don't think there is a digital version.

Obscurist

Jan 14, 2009
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Frankn said:
I found it the old fashion way. I guessed the state was N.C. and looked in my 10 volume set of U.S. Treasure Atlas. I don't think there is a digital version.

Aha. I thought it may have made the news recently. Yes, there have been a number of Bechtler finds and cache legends in western NC over the years.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Dawgwood has not posted since last Nov. I wonder if she found anything.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
probably scared off by too much back and forth opinions, advice and offers to help.

zenman

Jul 15, 2010
Palm Beach County Florida
Detector(s) used
IconData unit

Aquapulse AQ1B, TM-808 W/ Cave. Garrett Infinium LS, JW Fisher Pulse 8x, JW Fisher Diver Mag 1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldnt resist... I would use an Irish made leprechaun ! I hope her daughter is well and that is not why she disappeared. Lets all sent our prayers and love...

stagger

Sep 29, 2010
Carrizozo, NM
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado Umax * Bounty Hunter Tracker 1-D/505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the posters of such topics as this always seem to just stop posting? My initial thoughts were spot on!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread