Which MD do i buy???

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been metal detecting for a few months now and have found some neat stuff here in VA. I currently have a BH pioneer 202 and a cheap Radio Shack detector. I have found a mason jar of clad coins, a '53 rosie, 8 wheat pennies, 3 silver rings, a few old tools, and plenty of junk also. I have some good places to hunt, where i know there are silver coins and older, deeper items that i am missing. My 202 only air tests on a clad quarter at 6" max. So which detector do you recommend? I am leaning toward an AT Pro...but i have recently read reviews of unsatisfied customers so IDK??? I will be coin shooting and looking for relics(civil war, etc.) and love finding jewelry aswell. I have found half of my finds on my own property, but i kmow there is better stuff, deeper...53 dime was on top of a tree root holding it at 4", as was a 1919 wheat...please give me your opinions. Lets keep the price under $1000.00 though.....Thanks, Josh.

janetjoshua2013

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About 2 weeks ago I ordered a Fisher F75 from a site and its a great all around metal detector for relic, coins and even gold prospecting. And it comes in just under your $1000 mark at $950. They also have AT Pros that u mentioned.

janetjoshua2013

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your interested in the Fisher F75 do a bit of research and It should work out great for you.

That website I ordered mine at is Gold Miner's Cabin -- Home Page
They have free shipping. Also u can check out the Fisher F70. A bit cheaper but really good detector.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab safari all I need to say. Easy ti use great depth awesome detector.

Hawk'n Dirt

Sep 6, 2013
Humble, Tx
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an ACE 250 and I am upgrading to the AT Pro in November. Its water proof, can work in fresh and salt water, excellent all around detector from everyone I have talked to that own and use it.

Good Luck..

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an ACE 250 and I am upgrading to the AT Pro in November. Its water proof, can work in fresh and salt water, excellent all around detector from everyone I have talked to that own and use it.

Good Luck..

I did this upgrade and I'm pretty happy with the ATP. For the money, it's a great mid level detector. Got a great deal from Bart at big boys hobbies.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input guys......does anyone have experience with a MXT Pro? I want a detector the reads deep, is versatile and fairly simple to operate. I have no complaints with my BH, except it only reads coins at 4-6 inches max....thanks again.

Spectre

Sep 13, 2013
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
White's 5900Di Pro SL
White's 6000Di S3 (Modified)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go with the AT Pro. After getting back into the hobby after many years (and being a devout Minelab fan), I'm really astonished by the capability and price of the AT Pro. I'm looking at getting one soon and it would be a great machine for a novice to learn on that allows plenty of room to make more advanced adjustments. Remember the AT Pro has 2 "modes", the turn on and go (nonpro) and the pro, which lets you make much finer adjustments. At $550, it's definitely at the top of it's pricerange.

This is coming from someone who has sworn by nothing but Whites/Minelab.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sort of like asking what car you should buy...but one thing to keep in mind is the weight of the detector, as there are big differences out there. The MXT is considerably heavier than an AT Pro or an Xterra for example.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am leaning toward an AT Pro...but i have recently read reviews of unsatisfied customers so IDK???
You're gunna find unsatisfied customers with ANY brand/model.

Thanks for the input guys......does anyone have experience with a MXT Pro? I want a detector the reads deep, is versatile and fairly simple to operate. I have no complaints with my BH, except it only reads coins at 4-6 inches max....thanks again.

I had an MXT Pro and it is a great machine. Can be a little weighty but that can be offset by throwing a small coil on. Still, it balances well if you get it with the 950 instead of 12". It's a deep detector for sure, easy to use and easy to learn.

All that said, I'd still opt for the AT Pro. It's so versatile, depth still impresses me even with the 5x8 (which is a must have), easy to use & learn, and you don't have to pack up once it starts sprinkling. I loved my MXT Pro but stopped using it once I & the ATP got on the same page.

Another unit you may want to give a serious look at would be the Fisher CZ-3D. I can't say enough good things about this detector. It's wicked deep, very easy to setup & use. I've only liked 3 detectors straight away. This is best of the 3.

bleedblue

Sep 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may think I.m crazy but years a go I bought a 75.00 metal detector at radio shack and could find anything with it. Of course it was my first detector. The New Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 cost around 215.00 at walmart and has great reviews and has air tested to 10-11'' deep for some coins, and highly accurate. The 2200 model is around 167.00 without a pinpoint which no one in my opinion really needs, and this is the same detector with the same texas instruments as the 3300, and many other so called higher end units [in my opinion over priced units just like jewelry]. Look you really don't need to spend 500-1000 dollars or more to get a detector and don't be fulled by what some say they will do and blah blah, because as I said most have the same guts as the others. So you may want to look at the BOUNTY HUNTER DISCOVERY 3300 OR THE 2200 IF YOU DON'T NEED OR WANT TO PAY AN EXTRA 40.00 DOLLARS FOR A PINPOINT. JUST my personal opinion: Don't be fulled by the name and pay more for the same thing.

bleedblue

Sep 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry didn't introduce myself. I lived in Ky. all my life until recently moving to Tennesse this year. Hence Bleedblue. I enjoy detecting, fishing, hunting, camping, most anything outdoors. Just joined this Treasurenet in hopes to possibly get some info also on places that are good and hassel free to metal detect around the Portland Tn. area or further south and some advice about any areas since Tn. is propably the second largest area for the civil war area. Haven't done much detecting do to the reason of uncertainty, and sense of direction yet since I.m new to area. Thanks.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
If your looking into the AT Pro then also look into the AT Gold.
After doing research, the Gold is much better unless your in salt water.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your looking into the AT Pro then also look into the AT Gold.
After doing research, the Gold is much better unless your in salt water.

Better define "better" or go back and do more "research"!

bleedblue

Sep 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True the harder you work the more you will eventually find. Most of us need to realize its a hobby, and we will propably never find that big million dollar treasure, although it has been done before, but we need to remember its a hobby and the excitement, exercise, peace of mind is the treasure in the find, and we set these aside in our own little cases or what not and show other people as conversation pieces of history. That is thr true treasure for us and our friends and grand kids, although it would be great to hit the mother load one day.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Better define "better" or go back and do more "research"!

This was coming from reading, watching video's and talking through emails with Garrett and Bill Ladd. The only big plus both said with the Pro is salt water and a great coin machine.
Unless the makers of the machine don't know what they're talking about. Bill was a little more politically correct, but did say in iron infested/trashy areas nothing beats the Gold. Nugget, jewelry and relic hunting the Gold has the edge.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have the MXT PRO and the TDI. I mainly use the TDI for relic hunting (especially in Virginia) and the MXT PRO for coin hunting. A couple of my buddies have the AT PRO and they like it. One of my best finds was with the MXT PRO. It was an ID Tag about 12" deep in Culpeper, VA. I am digging bullets 18" deep with the TDI. I don't think you will go wrong with the AT PRO as it is a very popular machine right now. Since you live in Virginia I also would look at a used TDI for relic hunting.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here is my view based on 12 years of usage. Why blow a bundle when you can get an older, top of the line detector that can do anything a newer general purpose detector can do? I have used my Whites XLT to locate a license tag at 2' and a load of gold silver and clad coins, rings watches, etc.
The only exception is salt beaches. There I use a 12 year old Whites Surfmaster PI. Hay that one has gotten anchors at 3' and a gold/emerald ring at 10". You can pick them both up used for a total under your budget . I must admit that I do use a Hays 2 Box for cache hunting it will go down over 6'. Top of the line detectors from proven Manufacturers age well! Frank...

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

Last edited:

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a low hour V3 converted to V3i on Ebay right now for $900.

OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the input guys.......i guess just like everything else...everyone has a diff. opinion. I am really leaning toward a fisher though. however, i cant say enough good things about my bounty hunter...i found 3 silver rings in 3 hours with it last week! Just doesnt do well over 4 inches deep in most soil on coins...Also, rings were in a public park that gets hunted often!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread