Which MD do i buy???

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This was coming from reading, watching video's and talking through emails with Garrett and Bill Ladd. The only big plus both said with the Pro is salt water and a great coin machine.
Unless the makers of the machine don't know what they're talking about. Bill was a little more politically correct, but did say in iron infested/trashy areas nothing beats the Gold. Nugget, jewelry and relic hunting the Gold has the edge.

Now it's "better" w/caveats! lol

So if one is after coins, the Pro would be the "better" choice? And if one were on, lets say, a salt beach then the Pro would be "better"? Hmmm...Odd! Kind of puts holes in blanket statements of "xyz is the better detector"!

Yes the Gold should better on lower conductive targets like gold flakes, pickers, nuggets and certain jewelry. It's also going to "better" on micro flecks of can slaw & foils. In urban settings this could be quite maddening. The Pro seems bad enough at picking this crap up (and making it sound good).

As for the iron & trash performance, it's ALL attributed to the 5x8 coil. The smaller the coil, the "better" it's going to get though it. Prolly why a good number of Pro user switch to that coil.

I have NO doubt that the Gold is great performing machine with an edge in performance on Gold (hence the name...strange huh) & as relic hunter. But an AT Pro with a 5x8 should be a more versatile machine than the Gold w/o the hassle of digging every tiny piece of aluminum 18" down in ones local park!

Thanks for all the input guys.......i guess just like everything else...everyone has a diff. opinion. I am really leaning toward a fisher though.
Which one? Fisher makes some fine machines. Love mine!

Last edited:
OP
OP
DiggerinVA

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking cz3d........but the f75 ltd is s close 2nd.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread