Which pinpointer to get???

Dreadnox

Jul 28, 2013
Austin Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Metadyne magnet stick, Garretts pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, I need some thoughts here I need a pinpointer and want some personel opinions from the pro's. I can get the Garrett new for 120 or the Minlab Pro point 25 new for 140. Not sure which is the better and would like to know which one is the most perfered. Thanks for any and all inputs here.

Last edited:

mangum

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, MXT Pro Back-up
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I need some thoughts here I need a pinpointer and want some personel opinions from the pro's. I can get the Garrett new for 120 or the Minlab Pro point 25 new for 140. Not sure which is the better and would like to know which one is the most perfered. Thanks for any and all inputs here.

Garrett all the way!

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000

marh415

Apr 30, 2013
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went with the Garrett, never had an issue! Good luck!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, you opened the can of worms! Lets start with, the pinpointer is a very simple electronic instrument that probably cost the mfgr. a few bucks to make. Now lets mention that just about all pinpointers have the same pickup range. That is because if it picked up further away, it would go off as soon as you put it in the hole and be useless to locate something in the hole. Judging from posts I would say they all have the same breakdown rate. Here is the big difference, THE COST. The Garrett list for $160, the minelab list for about $180, the Harbor Freight centrex list for about $18. The choice is yours! Hay, my Harbor Freight is two years old and found every target it was used on and still works good. Frank...

hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Statement above says just about all pinpointers have the same pickup range - NOT TRUE. There's a measurable difference - the Garrett, Treasuremate and pistol probe are noticeably deeper than the harbor freight, Older Whites, Merlin and several others out there. I've used and compared the ones I've mentioned and IMHO the pistol probe is a little too deep for what I prefer in a pinpointer. Anyway, IMHO go for the Garrett.
luvsdux

OP
OP
Dreadnox

Dreadnox

Jul 28, 2013
Austin Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would appear it is umm ALMOST unanamous Garrets it is. Thanks for the input guys I really appriciate it alot.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I put tape over the speaker holes on the Garrett so as to be less obtrusive in parks etc. The vibration feature is more useful to me. I also tapped the battery compartment for a small screw and connected a coiled plastic key keeper to it so that I could hook it to my belt and never walk away from it.
luvsdux

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure theres much of a difference, the ProFind 25 has a couple extra features, theres an alert signal if you leave it behind, but Im not sure how well it'll work if you're wearing headphones and wonder off to far from it, adjustable sensitivity and a thing or 2 more maybe. I have the Minelab, only because when I ordered my Garrett ATPro package the vendor didnt have any more so he gave me the PF25 instead, no charge, I've been pretty happy with it so far, had some minor issues after a few weeks but a new battery solved that, I do carry spare batts for the pointer and the detector. Either way you'll be happy.

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You also might want to consider the Vibra-probe 580 its a PI unit and its waterproof. The Vibra-Probe does not detect quite as far as the detectorpro uniprobe, but it does go a little deeper than the Garrett. The Vibra-Tector 730 is another pi unit, submersible to 30 feet, great in the water and with its 4 inch coil its very handy on coin spills in the tot parks.
The Vibra- Probe and the Vibra-Tector are seem to very rugged and the prices are great.
Another probe that I have but seldom use because of my hearing is the detectorpro pistol probe. It seems to be similar to Garretts, however it is a PI unit so it will be a little more sensitive. I've put a radio shack amp/speaker on my uniprobe and I can hear it okay.

Roy

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I don't know about any of the other stuff out there but the Garrett can be de-tuned if the trouble is "it goes off once it's in the hole".
Give one a try Frankn, you might be impressed.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have the garrett 580 and I beat the heck out of it above and below water.. 8 months trouble free.... probably just jinks myself.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMHO a pinpointer without a vibration mode is not desired as there are places where you don't want to make much if any noise and led lights for indication can be hard to see in bright sunlight.
luvsdux

damiani1

Jun 2, 2013
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro silver umax, Whites Spectrum XLT
Past: Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use a $40 bounty hunter pin pointer and it does the job. Some where down the line I will probably get a minelab or pro pointer but until then I am more than content with this pin pointer.

shepcal

Mar 19, 2003
Oakhurst,CA
Detector(s) used
modded 4500, CTX30-30, Gold Monster1000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have the Minelab; old and deaf (me), can't hear it, vibration? if I hold it just right. At a friends shop last week and saw the Garretts; still can barely hear it, but can feel the vibration for sure! I will have a Garrett's and when it breaks have the Minelab for a backup!
Shep

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sunray if your detector will accept one of their models. Uses your display and headphones, no seperate batteries and you never leave it home or lose it. Like adding a 1" coil on a switch . . . which is just what it is.

OP
OP
Dreadnox

Dreadnox

Jul 28, 2013
Austin Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok I got the Garrett Pro and its great small works great I like the pin light on it too and the little scraper works great in sandy loom. I plan on putting it through its paces so I let you all know how well it holds up. All I need now is some bright orange tape and I am all set up. Thanks to everyone for the input and opinions, its greatly appriciated!

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I got the Garrett Pro and its great small works great I like the pin light on it too and the little scraper works great in sandy loom. I plan on putting it through its paces so I let you all know how well it holds up. All I need now is some bright orange tape and I am all set up. Thanks to everyone for the input and opinions, its greatly appriciated!

Thats a GRRRRRREAT idea, a friend of mine paints all his logging hooks, chains, and various tools bright orange so he can see them. I never thought of that on my ProFind25.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I don't know about any of the other stuff out there but the Garrett can be de-tuned if the trouble is "it goes off once it's in the hole".
Give one a try Frankn, you might be impressed.

Well, I might after my HF dies, But I have only been using it for 2 years with out any problems. I have to admit that the switch was sloppy so I replaced it for about $2.50 and I added a bright blue LED that lights on target. Maybe it will last forever. Oh, by the way, the HF has an external knob to tune it for the sensitive you desire. Frank... PS After 2 years of finding every target I searched for and a cost of $16, I feel I am way ahead of the game.

hand print-2_edited-6.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread