Who is rolling their dumps?

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
I have never rolled my coins as that would add a huge amount of time, but I am curious as to what bank would even accept rolled coins. I spoke to one teller who said many customers bring in rolled coins and they ALWAYS break them open and run them through the counter. She also said they do it because people will stick tokens and all sorts of interesting things in the middle of the rolls. She showed me a big cottage cheese container that was FULL of this stuff!! She said they noted the customers accounts and if became regular they would contact the authorities.

If you are spending time rolling your coins, it does not help the banks as they have to check them. Makes perfect sense to me - Would you accept a payment from someone in rolled coins without checking to see if they were all there?

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Not all the banks check the rolls. In fact, some banks send out hand-rolled coin in bags. Some banks break open the rolls, and dump directly into the bags to be shipped out, without machine counting. Any possible scenario that you can imagine, happens. It's crazy.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I reroll all my boxes of coins. The banks here won't take them in loose bags. If it run them through the coin machine they charge anywhere from 3% to 9%, and nothing if turned in rolled. So rolled it is.

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx
some parts of the country they don't have coin counters, in most banks. One bank said they would take dump's in $1000. bags but give me no receipt or anything until the armored truck service ran them through there coin counter. no thanks I roll mine.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll admit, i have re-rolled at times, usually halves, in a quantity of less than a couple hundred bucks worth.
Now, if i have a 12-box dime order come in, it's going to be done by midnite if i want to dump it the next day.....re-roll?

engine 823

Dec 27, 2007
Waynesburg, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, ACE 150
Some of my dump banks require my halves to be rolled and some don't. It is not the same everywhere, even within branches of the same banks.

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Been doing halves for a little while. Always re-roll. I only do two boxes at a time, but it's always rolled when I turn it in. I don't think they'd take them any other way, although I admit, I've never tried. ???

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Around here, if you want cash immediately for your dumps, you have to have them rolled. It makes it tougher but I'd rather do that than trusting their machines to count my money and have that deposited to my account later. Judging by how the boxes like dimes that I get that are always off, I don't trust their machines at all.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I roll most of mine. Hey but I buy mostly rolls also. Thats where you find the silver. Buy a roll...remove silver...add clad...dump..

RIcoinhunter

Nov 9, 2009
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2
My dump banks only takes rerolled coins.I went one day and there were a couple of tellers opening various coins into bags to be shipped out.I thought it was a waste of time,but I guess they have to stay busy when it's slow?

RW

Feb 7, 2007
Fort Worth'ish
Detector(s) used
Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Heck no. Last time I rolled, maybe 10 years ago, they made me unroll them and count them. Free coin counter in lobby of dump bank is awesome...

Gshock

May 25, 2010
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i used to roll my coins, but after building a relationship with the manager, I asked If I could start bringing them in bagged She said they were having to unroll them into bags anyway to be shipped so I suggested I could save them the trouble and bag them up for them. She was pleased with my suggestion and I've been bagging ever since. I love it.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW said:
Heck no. Last time I rolled, maybe 10 years ago, they made me unroll them and count them. Free coin counter in lobby of dump bank is awesome...

Really it all depends after reading these posts..i would just contact the bank before you go in..I rolled once..and they told me it wasnt needed...

Check before you decide to dump

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I almost always use a coin machine. I did recently roll up and dump $380 somewhere in Houston TX. I did it more out of love for my fellow CRH'ers living in that fine city. Let me tell you, it was quite the labor of love. Somewhere out there someone will buy them and search them and feel the love.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that this is going to start flames, but I not only re-roll mine, but I figured out how to get them out and back into the clear plastic rolls, so I just reuse them and I put them back in the box they came in and return it that way (actually trade it in for another box, so no extra ordering is required). They don't even open the boxes anymore, I just give them the boxes that I've searched and they give me new ones to search. I do mark the rolls with a sharpie, so the tellers know that I've seen them already and won't give them back to me.

Scott

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010
Well after reading this thread I feel kind of lucky... I have 6 different branches with free coin counters that I rotate my dumps around. Each one will hold $1000 before needing to be changed. Many towns around me also have the machines, and I like to buy the bags from them to search. I think re-rolling everything would drive me insane :o

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
That is a good question!
I have a mix of banks, some with machines, some only take rolled.

I roll all my halves and dimes. I don't trust the machines with them - one mistake on a half, that's 50 cents! and the dimes, I get too many dimes in my penny and nickel bags to trust that these machines count them as dimes all the time.

I roll a portion of my nickels. Usually 20 or 40 dollars out of each 200 dollar bag. That way I am not dumping in almost exact 200 dollar increments. The rest I dump in machines. I get at least one or two quarter credits when I dump nickels so that is profitable lol

I dump all my pennies in machines. Occasionally I'll roll 5 bucks worth to have when I am dumping rolled coin, so that I have a mix of denominations. And any other coin they register as (usually dimes and nickles) is a win!

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett THD Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every bank is different, and it also varies by location. I recently moved from NY to WA and there were free coin counters at many local banks in NY but I can't find many at all near me in WA. I have found it easier to re-roll in $500 quantities, and local banks won't get annoyed in accepting 50 rolls at a time.

AthensHunter2

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2010
srcdco said:
I know that this is going to start flames, but I not only re-roll mine, but I figured out how to get them out and back into the clear plastic rolls, so I just reuse them and I put them back in the box they came in and return it that way (actually trade it in for another box, so no extra ordering is required). They don't even open the boxes anymore, I just give them the boxes that I've searched and they give me new ones to search. I do mark the rolls with a sharpie, so the tellers know that I've seen them already and won't give them back to me.

Scott

I hope you take the tellers there treats often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread