jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whats a medium meal at a bk or mcdonalds cost down there? with our minimum wage hike here in ny, a medium quarter pounder meal is 11$. just a few years ago it was 7 or 8

I don't frequent McDonalds. When I go to Burger King on Rare Occasions I Order a Burger, & Fry, Sometimes a soda
Usually somewhere ROUND 3 BUCKS.

I'd never pay $11 unless I Had at least 2 Others With

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't frequent McDonalds. When I go to Burger King on Rare Occasions I Order a Burger, & Fry, Sometimes a soda
Usually somewhere ROUND 3 BUCKS.

I'd never pay $11 unless I Had at least 2 Others With

Lots a burgers here,and the price,1 bullet :) 2011_1111Mttohuntdeer4th0008.JPG

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right on.

But think about this- with computer assisted bartering, portions of goods and services could be combined to allow orders for goods and services to be fulfilled. Just like what Amazon is doing except without the medium of exchange. Pricing would be based on agreement between seller and buyer alone, without interference from a third party but assisted by a privately owned search engine. On a large scale such a system could potentially end currency as a medium of exchange- the days before money but you don't need to trade a herd of chickens for a keg of wine. The search engine could find the guy that wants to get a herd of chickens for his shoes, and the guy that wants shoes for a keg of wine, then trade the herd of chickens for the wine indirectly. The only winner is the consumer- so long as it is solely private enterprise.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those saying they'd trade their food(survivability) for gold or silver during an apocalypse are just idealizing the situation from the warm safety of their keyboard, as one doesn't know when, if ever, the apocalypse will end.

If you have two years of food store, you don't know that the apocalypse is going to end in one year, or ten so you wouldn't be trading away your food and the survivability potential of you and your children for some unknown FPV (future potential value). Sure, once we have a handle on the apocalypse and it's clear we will survive and recover from it, we can start trading for gold again, but in the meantime, it'd be virtually worthless, other then maybe to make fishing sinkers out of or what not.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be great to do that same thing here, but it's just an option.
Some buy Organic for a few reasons and some just don't really give it much thought of what they consume. We all have that toe tag ending no matter what, but its the journey that is the test. One can hobble, crawl, drag the winkle arse to the finish line suffering countless days of grief to end it. Then there's the ones that run there no problem and are just worn out.

I would buy on the cheap-but the body would last less than a year or two probably. Walking a fine line these past few years - paying for the habit years of playing badly.

Know a fellow that had 1.25 million layers-feed in one end of barn = egg in your hand-nobody ever touch that egg. Now that is mass produced at a buck a dozen.

I Don't expect to Die Healthy

in my entire Life I never saw an Obit where it said, He was in top of his Health till the day he died,
but I'll wager it still happens. and they still die.
at least they will have an excuse in my case

Last edited:

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with GoDeep, gold-silver will not provide much "fiber" to your diet. Best to know your neighbors and form a crisis group, you cannot survive alone. If you live in the city or sub-division, you're screwed. Tannerite is still available in some states, just don't buy a large amount at one sitting.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I Don't expect to Die Healthy

in my entire Life I never saw an Obit where it said, He was in top of his Health till the day he died,
but I'll wager it still happens. and they still die.
at least they will have an excuse in my case

There's a term "To rust out-or to wear out"
Jeff one can just do the :dontknow: and say we're all going to die someday. True fact
I know of so many that sit behind the curtain of the window never hardly venturing out, trapped souls actually. Just counting the clock down till the end.
Now that isn't living a life-its just a payment plan of misery they're living.

If one eats well the benefits out weigh everything, one gets out and about, never a concern regarding the ability of doing it.
Sure we all have a hiccup in the health and a small wake up call to improve the source of nutrients that one eats.

Sure once again the example of so & so smoke/drank/and did it all their way and lived to the ripe old age of....
Lots try it-and more never even come close in getting there.

I guess I was brought up of having those 300 jars of what ever to get the family through to the next round of food gathering.
The buck hanging from the eaves of the root cellar entrance, was a yearly thing.
The need to get the fish in the sealer/freezer was a requirement also.
If you shot it-you ate it regardless was the rule.

The folks that have to rely on stamps to eat-live in the heavy urban-are the one that will be really needing a hand up.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a term "To rust out-or to wear out"
Jeff one can just do the :dontknow: and say we're all going to die someday. True fact
I know of so many that sit behind the curtain of the window never hardly venturing out, trapped souls actually. Just counting the clock down till the end.
Now that isn't living a life-its just a payment plan of misery they're living.

If one eats well the benefits out weigh everything, one gets out and about, never a concern regarding the ability of doing it.
Sure we all have a hiccup in the health and a small wake up call to improve the source of nutrients that one eats.

Sure once again the example of so & so smoke/drank/and did it all their way and lived to the ripe old age of....
Lots try it-and more never even come close in getting there.

I guess I was brought up of having those 300 jars of what ever to get the family through to the next round of food gathering.
The buck hanging from the eaves of the root cellar entrance, was a yearly thing.
The need to get the fish in the sealer/freezer was a requirement also.
If you shot it-you ate it regardless was the rule.

The folks that have to rely on stamps to eat-live in the heavy urban-are the one that will be really needing a hand up.

when I was 17 I never expected to hit 29
When I was in my 20's I never thought I'd reach the turn of the Century
I'm 65 & wondering if I'll last out the Year.
It's all an Adventure

Frank and Sid may have Sang it
I'm enjoying it while I can.
Just less Violently :laughing7:

Last edited:

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody has a different perception about what it will look like when the government goes bankrupt. Some think it will be Mad Max and the Thunderdome. Others think it will be a bunch of hippies living in a commune working together for the common good. Fact is, nobody knows, and it will probably be something in the middle of the two extremes.

One thing is certain..............Capitalism is part of our DNA, and there will be a few people that control the food supply, the energy, and the firepower. They won't be starving, and they will not be interested in bartering for your food.

History proves time and time again, gold and silver will always be the dominate currency.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold,Silver,and Brass that is :)

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The government will always find a way to save their jobs and protect the interests of the rich people in this country. If we didn't go belly up in 2008, will will never go belly up. Took a lot of backroom deals, but they managed to save most of the banks owned by the richest people in the U.S. and allowed them to kiss off billions in bad loans that they were stupid to take on in the first place.

Sorry, but there never will be an apocalypse here, so don't feel the need to hoard food, guns and supplies. Waste of time, effort and money.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody has a different perception about what it will look like when the government goes bankrupt. Some think it will be Mad Max and the Thunderdome. Others think it will be a bunch of hippies living in a commune working together for the common good. Fact is, nobody knows, and it will probably be something in the middle of the two extremes.

One thing is certain..............Capitalism is part of our DNA, and there will be a few people that control the food supply, the energy, and the firepower. They won't be starving, and they will not be interested in bartering for your food.

History proves time and time again, gold and silver will always be the dominate currency.

With a middle ground scenario, i agree, you are correct. Mine was based on a worst case doomsday, such as meteor impact or nuclear scenario, rendering all infrastructure, gov't and transportation useless or non exsitent with an inability to reliably grow crops or secure outside resources beyond your own immediate area. Gold and silver literally will be worth far less then wood or iron, resources that actually can heat, or be used as weapons or tools etc.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The government will always find a way to save their jobs and protect the interests of the rich people in this country. If we didn't go belly up in 2008, will will never go belly up. Took a lot of backroom deals, but they managed to save most of the banks owned by the richest people in the U.S. and allowed them to kiss off billions in bad loans that they were stupid to take on in the first place.

Sorry, but there never will be an apocalypse here, so don't feel the need to hoard food, guns and supplies. Waste of time, effort and money.

People who froze their asses off in TX thought that way too, the day before - And would have given a thumb for a generator, gas and a few cases of water the day after.

Never hurts to prep to a limited degree to last off the grid at least a few weeks, I have been doing that most of my adult life as a matter of common sense routine. Months and years, now thats another story, very few can effectively prep for that long.
I wouldn't go so far as to predict there will never be an apocalypse here, in fact we've had them recently, they've just been localized and limited duration. Quite a few urban areas witnessed near complete anarchy for days on end, and look at all the shortages and rationing we endured for months, some still ongoing. Thats about as far as we can go without getting into politics, but I'd rather be a little bit safe than a whole lot sorry.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I guess it would work like it has in the past, I feed you because you have firepower to protect food. Then again firepower might just cut out the middle man and take food. But the ace in hole is part of the food will eat you up from the inside out-and there's crap one can you do about it-now do want to eat my food? :dontknow:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of us have prepared for national emergency for years, I currently have enough food on hand for wife and I for 3 months and been buying ammo and firearms for years, if stored properly it doesn't go bad, can be sold or bartered for what I paid for it if not more, have enough firearms to defend against both a "zombie" invasion or outbreak of anarchy. I recently sold a firearm for 3 times what I paid for it used 25 years ago.

Duckshot

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
trapped on the earthly plane of causation
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know what's going to be expensive when the lights go out and even if they had gas to run the trucks the gas pumps don't run?

Tobacco, booze, and cigarette lighters.

Oh, and toilet paper. : )

But low sell high. :dontknow:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By mid April I'll have another 2 steers in the freezers-still have a 1/3 in them from this last winter.
Have 350 sugar maples and more wood to burn in my lifetime, just another food source-just a time thing no money needed.
The young layers will be keeping us in eggs for the next while also.
The 5 freezers are stacked and that's the way it is-generators and fuel if it all goes down.
The cold room probably has 6-8 months in there alone if rationed.
We buy bulk case lots of nuts, seeds, dried fruits and the discounted wholesale price means organic is cheaper than regular.
Buy in quantity share the load with others and they do the same, it's saves on the pocket book and secures the future if in doubt.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You know what's going to be expensive when the lights go out and even if they had gas to run the trucks the gas pumps don't run?

Tobacco, booze, and cigarette lighters.

Oh, and toilet paper. : )

But low sell high. :dontknow:

Corn silk, Mullen leaves, old recycled paper if the TP craze comes a knocking.
Personally I still like the Bear brand.
Yup some got it for gouging and got outed by the Premier of the Province.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
...now who needs a cigarette lighter?

Actually, it's a pretty good to have quite a few of those laying around. Rubbing sticks together never worked for me....

And, methinks I'll try a garden again this year - failed miserably my first time at it and gave up that dream. But maybe I learned a bit from that experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread