Why did Travis Tumlinson Fake the Stone Maps as a Hoax?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stone maps are not fake and are not a hoax . They are real maps for a region in the Superstitions Mountains .
The trail from the stone maps is about 2200 feet long in the fields and has an altitude average about 700 feet . The most difficult part of the trail is in the DON half because has an altitude average about 500 feet . All the drawings on the stone trail map are ground shapes which include peaks , big rocks , canyons , etc .
I found the stone trail using reverse engineering . I post a GE image with the DON part of the trail to see the similarities .

the DON trail.jpg

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
The stone maps are not fake and are not a hoax . They are real maps for a region in the Superstitions Mountains .
The trail from the stone maps is about 2200 feet long in the fields and has an altitude average about 700 feet . The most difficult part of the trail is in the DON half because has an altitude average about 500 feet . All the drawings on the stone trail map are ground shapes which include peaks , big rocks , canyons , etc .
I found the stone trail using reverse engineering . I post a GE image with the DON part of the trail to see the similarities .

View attachment 1277116

Markmar
It's like having a map of California and you want to go to New York. The stones are a partial map. The ground map is the complete map the stones were made from. It is very easy to place the map location with the ground map.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good morning,

On another site, I think you know where, a very interesting photo and particularly the original negative of the "bumper photo" has been shared. If you haven't already taken a look you may want to do so. I'm hesitant to reproduce them here because I don't want to violate copyright restrictions for either site. It can get messy.

If you chose to view, they are a good example of what we are working on. We are bringing to you Travis, the man. Putting a face and a history on the man at the center of this saga. Whether you think him saint or sinner or something in between you now have a clear view of the image of the person behind the legend. There are more to follow and that shows a life story.

Perhaps even more interesting is "the" negative of the bumper photo. Heretofore the best we had was a torn, creased, scarred print with blacked out portions. Here is the original for your viewing pleasure in all its glory. Have at it <g>.

As said many times before, I'm not here to change your mind on anything. You are totally free and justified to hold strong to your beliefs. My mission, and I believe the mission of others, is to bring you a fuller and more complete picture of the people and history behind this story.

Certainly these facts and relics give ME an OPINION of what happened and why. Others many have a totally different view. That's what makes the world go around. Nothing wrong on either side of the issue. These two photos, never before seen, are for your viewing pleasure, a gift from the labor to find them. Don't shoot the messenger. We are, after all, all after the truth.....wherever it leads us.

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sarge

The trail from my picture is the genuine stone trail map . It's not me who has a map of California and go to New York , and I have not problem if you want to make some bucks from this story . I am not jealous and I wish you good luck . But think twice if is worth to risk your reputation making a TV serial and a book which will describe the stone tablets as fake and a hoax , when in the future exist a chance to be proved as genuine maps .

And once again . The stone tablets are not fake and are not a hoax .

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sarge

The trail from my picture is the genuine stone trail map . It's not me who has a map of California and go to New York , and I have not problem if you want to make some bucks from this story . I am not jealous and I wish you good luck . But think twice if is worth to risk your reputation making a TV serial and a book which will describe the stone tablets as fake and a hoax , when in the future exist a chance to be proved as genuine maps .

I don't see where Frank has damaged his reputation, from what I have seen he is just trying to help get at the truth. I think most of the more intelligent people here have figured out the stone maps at the museum were carved by Travis, unless you have proof other wise

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Sarge

Marius,

Many people have placed your trail in many different places in the Superstitions, including me. Others have found locations that match the trail in locations outside the Supe's and even in other states. To prove your theory, you will need to go to the mountains and visit your site taking pictures to prove what you think is there. Google Earth will not suffice.

I have walked my Stone Map trail and taken pictures along the way. The trail does not lead to treasures or a workable mine, but it is real. Along the way you will find monuments like these:

Past old claims, like this:

The trail will be well worn into the bedrock, like this:

It will lead to the center of the heart, shown on the Stone Maps, like this:

Good luck with Google.

Joe Ribaudo

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe

To " see " the map with all the characteristics , the GE is the most appropriate tool . Of course the monuments and the markings are on the ground , and are not visible from GE . Also , I don't push anyone to believe me .

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe

To " see " the map with all the characteristics , the GE is the most appropriate tool . Of course the monuments and the markings are on the ground , and are not visible from GE . Also , I don't push anyone to believe me .

Marius,

Long before GE was even dreamed of we had this:

I have a complete set of the Superstitions that was my uncle's. You may notice a triangle-slash in the right corner.

Beyond that, I have ridden, hiked with an 80# pack on my back and flown over the range numerous times in a helicopter and taken thousands of pictures. To be honest, I'm not too impressed with GE.

Don't think you can get these views from GE. Perspective is lost.

Good luck,

Joe

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe

Marius, nobody that has ever been in the mountains will believe you, those mountains (or any others) are going to be way different on the ground than they appear on Google. Google gives you an idea of what the terrain will be like and that's about it. Many a man has found things on Google ,then came to the mountains to locate their find only to see it was just a shadow in reality . if you really want anyone to believe in your wild theories come spend some time in the mountains. I guarantee you will leave with a whole new perspective

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok . Let's see the DON part of the trail from an other angle using a real picture from the region . The trail starts at the top of the little crest and go under the red line which hide about half of the straight part of the trail at the beginning .

DON route.jpg DON route 1.JPG

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Ok . Let's see the DON part of the trail from an other angle using a real picture from the region . The trail starts at the top of the little crest and go under the red line which hide about half of the straight part of the trail at the beginning .

View attachment 1277465 View attachment 1277466

Marius,

Your trail in the above picture is not a trail at all, as most of it is straight up and down. I believe it's impassable. This is the very reason that GE is so misleading. If you have a Topographic map program take a look at the map with the coordinates from your GE pictures. I've been reading Topo's since I was 12-years old. The area where you show your trail will be, almost, solid because the contour lines will be so close together.

I'm afraid nothing really takes the place of hands-on experience.

Good luck,

Joe

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe

The pictures above are real and not GE images .
If the trail would be a walk in the Central Park , then it wouldn't be " PELIGROZA " . Exist another easiest ways to go to the end of the trail , but the author used that way like a metaphor saying how " Is worth to risk your life for what is at the end of the trail " . This trail tests your faith . Nobody push you to follow this way , but i believe is not impassable at all .

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Joe

The pictures above are real and not GE images .
If the trail would be a walk in the Central Park , then it wouldn't be " PELIGROZA " . Exist another easiest ways to go to the end of the trail , but the author used that way like a metaphor saying how " Is worth to risk your life for what is at the end of the trail " . This trail tests your faith . Nobody push you to follow this way , but i believe is not impassable at all .

Marius,

The point is, your picture is no trail......period.

Good luck,

Joe

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Good morning,

On another site, I think you know where, a very interesting photo and particularly the original negative of the "bumper photo" has been shared. If you haven't already taken a look you may want to do so. I'm hesitant to reproduce them here because I don't want to violate copyright restrictions for either site. It can get messy.

If you chose to view, they are a good example of what we are working on. We are bringing to you Travis, the man. Putting a face and a history on the man at the center of this saga. Whether you think him saint or sinner or something in between you now have a clear view of the image of the person behind the legend. There are more to follow and that shows a life story.

Perhaps even more interesting is "the" negative of the bumper photo. Heretofore the best we had was a torn, creased, scarred print with blacked out portions. Here is the original for your viewing pleasure in all its glory. Have at it <g>.

As said many times before, I'm not here to change your mind on anything. You are totally free and justified to hold strong to your beliefs. My mission, and I believe the mission of others, is to bring you a fuller and more complete picture of the people and history behind this story.

Certainly these facts and relics give ME an OPINION of what happened and why. Others many have a totally different view. That's what makes the world go around. Nothing wrong on either side of the issue. These two photos, never before seen, are for your viewing pleasure, a gift from the labor to find them. Don't shoot the messenger. We are, after all, all after the truth.....wherever it leads us.

Lynda,

The following photo is a side by side comparison with the original bumper photo on the left, and on the right is the duplicate stone which is exactly like the one in the stacked stones photo that PNG posted, but which cannot be reproduced here due to copyright issues:

file.jpg

As you can see, there are differences on both stones. The "X" and cross are missing from the copy on the right as indicated by the two red arrows on the left. Also, the line of the left incline of the peak in the copy on the right continues down past the hump next to it (rightmost red arrow). This is not reproduced on the original stone on the left.

Also compare the crooked arrow that points to the start of the 18th path. The styles are different on both stones.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you have an opinion?

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deducer,

I notice what I think are some differences. The ones you point to are striking. My personal opinion is there are multiple early sets of the stones and even more reproductions later on. I don't think Travis had a hand in the later reproductions. The early ones? Probably so.

I want to wait until we can have all the negatives processed and can get high resolution prints to work from. That may take a few weeks.

What's your opinion on the heart stone in the stacked photo? Broken or not? I think not. Also; what's your opinion on size of the stones in the stacked photo? If the paper they are on is standard 1950's era broadsheet newspaper stock, I'd say they are close to, if not dead on, size of the museum version. I'm still looking for a photo of the "small grey stones" remembered by the family and others who saw the early version. Black and white film doesn't give us color but it does provide relative size IF we can confirm other background object size. Still working on that.

Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Deducer,

I notice what I think are some differences. The ones you point to are striking. My personal opinion is there are multiple early sets of the stones and even more reproductions later on. I don't think Travis had a hand in the later reproductions. The early ones? Probably so.

I want to wait until we can have all the negatives processed and can get high resolution prints to work from. That may take a few weeks.

What's your opinion on the heart stone in the stacked photo? Broken or not? I think not. Also; what's your opinion on size of the stones in the stacked photo? If the paper they are on is standard 1950's era broadsheet newspaper stock, I'd say they are close to, if not dead on, size of the museum version. I'm still looking for a photo of the "small grey stones" remembered by the family and others who saw the early version. Black and white film doesn't give us color but it does provide relative size IF we can confirm other background object size. Still working on that.

Broken, and deliberately. Not by Travis, though.

The stacked stones against the T/G boards are the museum stones. I can tell by the number and placements of the deep gouges to the right of the "R" on the upper trail stone.

I, too, am interested in those "small grey stones," and what happened to them. Does the family know? I would think that such important artifacts wouldn't simply disappear.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i wonder if Travis wife sold more than one set of stones

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius,

The point is, your picture is no trail......period.

Good luck,

Joe

Joe

Many went at the top of Weavers Needle and also there is not a trail .
As i wrote, the stone trail is a trail which tests the faith . If follow the trail with no fear , at the end of the trail is the recompense from the Holy Faith .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions