Why did Travis Tumlinson Fake the Stone Maps as a Hoax?

kanabite

May 27, 2006
southern utah
Detector(s) used
wander aimlessly in circles with camera in hand
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

kanabite

May 27, 2006
southern utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coroner's report

The guy on the slab gots a real similar looking nose.lol

Please take this picture down if It violates copywriters laws . pic from above link
imgres
cbody.jpg

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
HMMM...

View attachment 1282155

Likely a story behind that tat.
Wonder if Travis asked ?

E.B.W. - Eleanor Bee Williams, former girlfriend.

What's odd is that Clyde never served in the navy, yet sported a USN anchor tat. Makes my imaginative noggin wonder if Pegleg's old maps had any anchor symbols on them. The anchor is an important treasure sign in some circles back in Pegleg's era. This Clyde thingy is like pulling a loose sweater thread - it keeps growing.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
sdcfia, This is a crow eating post. I was WRONG.

On further investigation, the family is 100% correct. The record is hard to find, but its out there. Shame on me for not finding it sooner.

Travis did escape during the time period Bonnie and Clyde were active in big time bank robberies. He didn't return to custody until 1935 to serve his remaining 8 months to full term.

This does make it possible there was opportunity to collaborate. I don't think so, but I admit I was wrong on opportunity and could be wrong on this assumption as well. Unlike some, I do admit when I'm wrong. The accurate record is more important than my pride. I owe that to you and openly admit my error in not finding it sooner.

No need to eat crow, Old. It's just an example of what you may find while turning over all the rocks. Even if this is a dead end, we learn new things.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quote: >>>Old, so who is the guy in the sailor outfit walking next to Travis in the photo <<<

Sorry, I don't know.

kanabite

May 27, 2006
southern utah
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E.B.W. - Eleanor Bee Williams, former girlfriend.

What's odd is that Clyde never served in the navy, yet sported a USN anchor tat. Makes my imaginative noggin wonder if Pegleg's old maps had any anchor symbols on them. The anchor is an important treasure sign in some circles back in Pegleg's era. This Clyde thingy is like pulling a loose sweater thread - it keeps growing.
Hi Steve ya I still don't know what's up with the USN tat , but here is a claim about the grace one.maybe.

http://bonnieandclydehistory.blogspot.com/2010/10/daughter-for-bonnie-parker-and-w-d.html

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only thing wrong with this speculation is…………it never happened.

Real Fact: Travis Tumlinson and Clyde Barrow did serve time simultaneously in Texas’ infamous Eastham Prison Farm. They were both 19 -20 years old at the time. Oddly both had a history of poultry thief. Travis for chickens, Clyde for turkeys. Travis served 20 months of a 2 year sentence for his poultry heist. Clyde served 22 months of a 14 year term for an assortment of petty thief offenses.

Let’s examine the possible dates of interaction between Travis and Clyde Barrow.

Travis was convicted and entered Huntsville Prison on May 19, 1929, transferred to Eastham on June 3, 1929.

Clyde entered Huntsville on April 21, 1930 and was transferred to Eastham May 1, 1930. Clyde was released to sheriff’s custody to answer a bench warrant in a different county from Sept. 15, 1930 and returned to Huntsville Sept. 24, 1930. Again, transferred to Eastham, October 3, 1930.

Travis was discharged January 20, 1931.

Clyde was paroled and discharged February 2, 1932.

Travis was convicted on his second offense (auto thief) on February 1, 1932, this time served in Huntsville and released October 1, 1935.

Clyde Barrow, along with Bonnie Parker, had their reign of terror from Clyde’s release date of Feb. 2, 1932 to their death in Louisiana on May 23, 1934.

The ONLY time for interaction between Travis Tumlinson and Clyde Barrow would have been either:
1. between May 1, 1930 and Sept 15, 1930;
2. between Oct. 3, 1930 and Jan 20, 1931.

Fact: There was opportunity for Travis to have known and spent time with Clyde Barrow.

Fact: Clyde Barrow was a 2 bit, low level criminal during the time period Travis could have interacted with him. No bank robberies, no (known) murders, no opportunity for a vast stashed loot. A young hoodlum burglarizing roadside stores and gas stations for chump change which he gambled away.

Fact: Travis was incarcerated during the entire time of Bonnie & Clyde’s reign of terror from Feb 2, 1932 until their death in May, 1934. No opportunity to collaborate, assist or advise as to possible stash locations.

Be careful of the tales you spin. In the wrong hands, they become false legends.

Anyone that thinks Bonnie and Clyde had a big stash of cash that they gave to Travis should do some research on b&c. From what I've read they were pretty much petty criminals that only netted about 15 k in their two year crime spree, most of their targets were gas stations and small grocery stores

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone that thinks Bonnie and Clyde had a big stash of cash that they gave to Travis should do some research on b&c. From what I've read they were pretty much petty criminals that only netted about 15 k in their two year crime spree, most of their targets were gas stations and small grocery stores

To a point.
While burglary led to Clydes arrest and the jail he escaped from with a smuggled gun before being recaptured.. ,occasional banks were hit.
More financially profitable may have been the gun thefts.
From sporting goods stores , but notably from multiple National Guard Armories.
When criminals gained access to certain semi auto's it kind of leveled the playing field and there would have been a black market for such goods.
I'm not sure of prices or numbers stolon from Armories , but even a few of them may have been rewarding enough to heavily weight a purse .
Especially compared to an average gas station heist.

With their penchant for hopping over state lines in auto's , fuel stops were required eventually.
Did they rob each one out of habit/routine or were they more selective I have not studied. Or maybe just convenient cash for the road when witness traffic was light..

Last edited:

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To a point.
While burglary led to Clydes arrest and the jail he escaped from with a smuggled gun before being recaptured.. ,occasional banks were hit.
More financially profitable may have been the gun thefts.
From sporting goods stores , but notably from multiple National Guard Armories.
When criminals gained access to certain semi auto's it kind of leveled the playing field and there would have been a black market for such goods.
I'm not sure of prices or numbers stolon from Armories , but even a few of them may have been rewarding enough to heavily weight a purse .
Especially compared to an average gas station heist.

With their penchant for hopping over state lines in auto's , fuel stops were required eventually.
Did they rob each one out of habit/routine or were they more selective I have not studied. Or maybe just convenient cash for the road when witness traffic was light..

Unlike some of the other depression era gangsters b&c didn't profit too terribly much from their escapades and what money they did steal they burned it up living the outlaw life (being on the run from the law isn't cheap). Some of the other gangsters such as Dillinger stole quite a bit of dough and lived high on the hog. B&C lived like animals always on the run

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Unlike some of the other depression era gangsters b&c didn't profit too terribly much from their escapades and what money they did steal they burned it up living the outlaw life (being on the run from the law isn't cheap). Some of the other gangsters such as Dillinger stole quite a bit of dough and lived high on the hog. B&C lived like animals always on the run

Ironic ,$32,000 plus a little for one of the silver dollars recovered from the car after the shootings.(More ironic that is near the amount they stole from the First National in Kansas.)
So you're saying they just burned through it all like pirates on a bender?
I don't have real proof otherwise.
Clyde was reputed to have been trying to acquire land for his folks near the time of his death though..

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ironic ,$32,000 plus a little for one of the silver dollars recovered from the car after the shootings.(More ironic that is near the amount they stole from the First National in Kansas.)
So you're saying they just burned through it all like pirates on a bender?
I don't have real proof otherwise.
Clyde was reputed to have been trying to acquire land for his folks near the time of his death though..

Yes, I can't find any solid info that says they were able to stash any dough. They mainly just stole enough to keep them going, I think I read one of the offenses he was in prison for was stealing Turkey's. They got most of their notoriety more from their antics than their thieving skills

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, I can't find any solid info that says they were able to stash any dough. They mainly just stole enough to keep them going, I think I read one of the offenses he was in prison for was stealing Turkey's. They got most of their notoriety more from their antics than their thieving skills

Obviously you're not going to discover that sort of information. It's impossible to verify something like that, except by admission by a surviving gang member, which was quite unlikely. Reports vary considerably, but this profile attributes 12-15 bank robberies to the Barrow Gang, in addition to a dozen murders and a large number of lesser crimes. B&C's spree was probably exaggerated, but it seems they were a cut above common turkey thieves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_and_Clyde

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously you're not going to discover that sort of information. It's impossible to verify something like that, except by admission by a surviving gang member, which was quite unlikely. Reports vary considerably, but this profile attributes 12-15 bank robberies to the Barrow Gang, in addition to a dozen murders and a large number of lesser crimes. B&C's spree was probably exaggerated, but it seems they were a cut above common turkey thieves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_and_Clyde

Definitely a cut above turkey thieves, they just weren't as financially successful as the other gangsters of that era. I read they had robbed a couple banks but never found a dollar amount. Almost all other criminals from that time period and even going back to the old west they all seem to have stories of them stashing loot but I've never heard that of Bonnie and Clyde

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
close to 1k pgs in parts 1-7 in the fbi files,and i think the fbi amassed
all that info in a yrs time, from all LE that were investigating B & C
https://vault.fbi.gov/Bonnie and Clyde

about the above link.......

These pages describe the Bureau’s involvement in the pursuit of Bonnie and Clyde, which began almost exactly a year before their deaths when we discovered evidence that they had crossed state lines in a stolen car. By the time we joined the hunt, the pair had been crisscrossing the Midwest, chased by every level of law enforcement across eight states—stealing cars, robbing banks and gas stations, taking hostages, and even gunning down police officers and innocent bystanders alike. Their rapid-fire movements and connections were such that our agents in Dallas, New Orleans, Detroit, Kansas City, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, St. Louis, and elsewhere were soon involved.
https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2009/may/year-of-the-gangster-part-2/bonnieclyde_052709

Last edited:
OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what RG said B&C had nothing to do with Travis. He even said he didn't mean to start correlations between the two as there was nothing there to be correlated. So this whole thing has gotten a little wild on a side track. Shame on you Wayne. You know better! But keep it going at least it keeps us busy while we wait for the trailer to be posted somewhere. Nice angle though. Prisoner escapes with Clyde Barrow and creates stone maps using a dead law mans bones..story at ten just check the stones!

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
From what RG said B&C had nothing to do with Travis. He even said he didn't mean to start correlations between the two as there was nothing there to be correlated. So this whole thing has gotten a little wild on a side track. Shame on you Wayne. You know better! But keep it going at least it keeps us busy while we wait for the trailer to be posted somewhere. Nice angle though. Prisoner escapes with Clyde Barrow and creates stone maps using a dead law mans bones..story at ten just check the stones!

While the cat's away, the mice will play.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread