Why did Travis Tumlinson Fake the Stone Maps as a Hoax?

starman 1

Jun 3, 2010

Hello Bill,

I doubt if you can find reference to the discovery on the internet. Reference to it can be found in a January 1929 article by Helen Crane. "Ancient Masonic Symbols in Arizona." Believe the article is in the American Co-Mason. Also you can see a picture of it on Page 198, of the Bent work, "The Tucson Artifacts". Or you could perhaps find some reference to the discovery in the papers of Dr. Emil Haury, University of Arizona. There are more interesting symbols to discuss but our friends in Texas have a problem with that.

Starman

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why did Travis fake the stone maps?
I don't know for sure but do wonder....Was it worth it?

With an attempt of putting aside others findings for a moment or two with apologies if I duplicate any ones by being influenced....
I don't look for deceit as any more a motive than any secrecy when possessing multiple potential treasure maps.
First pupose of mine were maps of interest known to be in my possession , would be bait.
Bait to hand any one demanding the maps by force , or stealing them.
Why carve on stone? Not a new idea and has been done for eons. Purpose though comes in to play.
Could have been another type of bait to solicit interest in symbols to provide an answer.
Despite what is known about an individuals familiarity and proposed purpose of carving...IF stuck on one particular symbol with dead ends being the result of exhausted research , and not being willing to divulge it's necessity ; if it were mixed in with multiple others and put on display could it generate a description/definition of the puzzling symbol?
No internet answer system then like today. No network of trusted associates due to being taciturn in hunting , nor anonymity in asking questions of the public like now.
It could have served multiple purposes carving stone maps. Even doodling while pondering and putting doodles to better use later.
No doubt any carver "finds" their carving medium some where. Their muse need not be named or described though in a key or legend on a corner. But can be.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, you are getting warmer <g>. Although I don't think his plan was that devious. I'm happy with your first three sentences. I really don't think Travis ever wanted the maps to leave the eyes and custody of the family......but that's just the working theory. If something turns up otherwise ........well, we'll just have to adjust to embrace it. Haven't seen it yet.

And..........there are at least 3, and maybe as many as 5, sets of "the maps" and counting.......which are fakes and which are real?.........or have we ever really seen the originals <said will an evil grin>.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Bill, you are getting warmer <g>. Although I don't think his plan was that devious. I'm happy with your first three sentences. I really don't think Travis ever wanted the maps to leave the eyes and custody of the family......but that's just the working theory. If something turns up otherwise ........well, we'll just have to adjust to embrace it. Haven't seen it yet.

And..........there are at least 3, and maybe as many as 5, sets of "the maps" and counting.......which are fakes and which are real?.........or have we ever really seen the originals <said will an evil grin>.

We know that the museum tablets are carved from stone. You wrote that there are "at least 3, and maybe as many as 5, sets of "the maps". Do you know if these sets are made from carved stone? If you have seen these sets or, even a photo of them, I would focus on the tablets themselves and not so much the inscriptions in/on them. Things like surface texture, chips, scratches, the indents and crevices almost certainly cannot be reproduced by hand or machine. So, if these other tablets are identical in size and the details that I wrote about, they are most likely cast... resin, plaster, even stone powder in resin.

We know molds were lifted from the museum stone tablets at some point and there should be more than 3 sets of them out there. All cast material.

Thanks old.

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sort of reminds me off an old movie.
City Slickers 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold.

Same scenario though, holding back a corner of the map waiting for others to lead you there so you can use the final solution! You just have to suck it up. Travis's family isn't going to give you that Map corner! Just don't ask anyone to suck on your Arse if you get bit following that unfinished Stone Map!

Why did Travis fake the stone maps?
I don't know for sure but do wonder....Was it worth it?

With an attempt of putting aside others findings for a moment or two with apologies if I duplicate any ones by being influenced....
I don't look for deceit as any more a motive than any secrecy when possessing multiple potential treasure maps.
First pupose of mine were maps of interest known to be in my possession , would be bait.
Bait to hand any one demanding the maps by force , or stealing them.
Why carve on stone? Not a new idea and has been done for eons. Purpose though comes in to play.
Could have been another type of bait to solicit interest in symbols to provide an answer.
Despite what is known about an individuals familiarity and proposed purpose of carving...IF stuck on one particular symbol with dead ends being the result of exhausted research , and not being willing to divulge it's necessity ; if it were mixed in with multiple others and put on display could it generate a description/definition of the puzzling symbol?
No internet answer system then like today. No network of trusted associates due to being taciturn in hunting , nor anonymity in asking questions of the public like now.
It could have served multiple purposes carving stone maps. Even doodling while pondering and putting doodles to better use later.
No doubt any carver "finds" their carving medium some where. Their muse need not be named or described though in a key or legend on a corner. But can be.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That sort of reminds me off an old movie.
City Slickers 2: The Legend of Curly's Gold.

Same scenario though, holding back a corner of the map waiting for others to lead you there so you can use the final solution! You just have to suck it up. Travis's family isn't going to give you that Map corner! Just don't ask anyone to suck on your Arse if you get bit following that unfinished Stone Map!

Travis's family is not obligated to provide me anything.
Nor are the stone maps worth fifty yards distance to me.

My suggesting the stone maps being used by some one near the time of their creation to draw/fish a symbols meaning is a bit apart from some one following undeciphered stone maps without a "mongoose" and getting bit .
Per reptiles and hiney bites...squatting deserves some judicious consideration of a reasonably clear site first , though the last guy I knew got bit knew the critter was agitated and had to catch it...missed his hiney though. He did learn to leave them alone out of the deal.
Just another theory to unknown answer of posed question at the time.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
The true story is so much more interesting than the legends. Not to mention the barn map with its shadow sign overlay.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting for the Outhouse Map and it's dark brown underlay.

Oh of course all are welcome. Doo drop in sometime. I can see a story about Travis getting caught with his knickers down carving symbols on the inside of his castle while on his thrown next to a Tee Pee. A story about a man pretending to be a Treasure Hunter pretending to be a man. When the outhouse gets knocked over the s### hits the moon. I don't see how there is even a plot once it becomes a story of human deception all we have is fictional tales of fantasy bouncing along trying to explain why he lied and his purpose of doing so.

It's hard to fathom anything other than attempts at redemption from the aftermath of the false legend.

Maybe I'll watch it for filling in some holes in history while burying the past events of a known Huckster. I'll have to see the trailer first before the trash comes out. In the mean time I think I'll create some stone maps of my own it seems to be an old fad. It's no wonder no other stone maps have been found it wasn't something the Spanish did or anyone else for that matter. It was a creation all done in his on mind. Nice going Travis! You single handedly created a new type of Treasure Map! On a tombstone no less! I think I'll do one on a copper scroll that's never been tried.

I don't see how this would be an interesting show to see. We've all had to deal with enough false information over these last 100 years or so. I know I'm tired of getting bit in the Keister.

The true story is so much more interesting than the legends. Not to mention the barn map with its shadow sign overlay.

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1453850933.128030.jpg

Bill
It is nicknamed the barn map because it was found hidden in the barn. That and a few other choice items. You would be taking a quick trip to the outhouse so you did not mess your pants if you ever laid your eyes on the new discoveries.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
i dont think TT lied to or deceived anyone, that happened after his death

why he made the stones, prob to go with the book he was writing, maybe
he was going to offer copies of the maps too, or they were a future prop
for a screenplay that never happened. maybe TT thought he would find
treasure and make a movie too.
the folks digging for answers need to keep digging, the book.stone maps
were important to TT, he had to leave some other info someplace,about
the stones,book and his thinking.
youve found other maps, and stuff , the investigation seems like its own
treasure hunt, that is way cool

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
AD,you posted ----- A question is why this LDM has never been found if it is real ? have people noticed that all the treasure legends in the list have never been found

Yer wrong, for example I have found Tayopa, an even more obscure legend.-- :coffee2::coffee2:

OBSCURE amigo? That is the FIRST time I have ever seen Tayopa described with THAT term! :tongue3::thumbsup:

:coffee2::coffee2:

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll sign an Attorney written confidentiality agreement so enlighten me Frank.

Invite me to the Barn Dance.

Trouble with any Map is that most don't know what the symbols mean and we'll all have to wait just like with Travis until either someone's dead or has given up looking because they can't put the symbols to any known objects in the Superstitions or anywhere else for that matter. It's always a big secret. I say the heck with secrets. I've let out plenty of what I've discovered in the realm of Treasure. Very few if any have walked the same path in the search for the truth at all these Gold mine sites I've researched. Most can't even see what a true monument really is because all blends with natures own. I say let it out and let everyone have a go at it. I hate to see people search for something their whole lives because they thought they knew it all. No one has the Book on what these symbols mean only a few of us that have made a life choice to understand how they did it and what they used for doing it have bits and pieces of the final solution. Maybe collectively a team of the few may have a chance. That's where personal preferences have to be thrown out for those that have small amounts of the the puzzle keys.

This baiting of material, hoarding, coveting, hiding, only serves to turn people off. Show some of us the money or keep it in the Barn with the manure. No need for me to mess my pants that way. I like maps if they have any real provenance.

Every Map that I've seen so far has proven to be a fabrication of someone's devious undertones.

Probably a barn Pirate.

Those dudes were all over the farms in the 1800's usually driving wind wagons while courting the Farmers Daughters with fine gifts from pillaging nearby City Folk.

Their Treasures are Legendary.

View attachment 1265043

Bill
It is nicknamed the barn map because it was found hidden in the barn. That and a few other choice items. You would be taking a quick trip to the outhouse so you did not mess your pants if you ever laid your eyes on the new discoveries.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll sign an Attorney written confidentiality agreement so enlighten me Frank.

Invite me to the Barn Dance.

Trouble with any Map is that most don't know what the symbols mean and we'll all have to wait just like with Travis until either someone's dead or has given up looking because they can't put the symbols to any known objects in the Superstitions or anywhere else for that matter. It's always a big secret. I say the heck with secrets. I've let out plenty of what I've discovered in the realm of Treasure. Very few if any have walked the same path in the search for the truth at all these Gold mine sites I've researched. Most can't even see what a true monument really is because all blends with natures own. I say let it out and let everyone have a go at it. I hate to see people search for something their whole lives because they thought they knew it all. No one has the Book on what these symbols mean only a few of us that have made a life choice to understand how they did it and what they used for doing it have bits and pieces of the final solution. Maybe collectively a team of the few may have a chance. That's where personal preferences have to be thrown out for those that have small amounts of the the puzzle keys.

This baiting of material, hoarding, coveting, hiding, only serves to turn people off. Show some of us the money or keep it in the Barn with the manure. No need for me to mess my pants that way. I like maps if they have any real provenance.

Every Map that I've seen so far has proven to be a fabrication of someone's devious undertones.

Probably a barn Pirate.

Those dudes were all over the farms in the 1800's usually driving wind wagons while courting the Farmers Daughters with fine gifts from pillaging nearby City Folk.

Their Treasures are Legendary.

Anyone who has a "lost mine or hidden treasure" secret, or thinks he does, will never reveal it. Non-critical crumbs may be dropped (off-path) now and then, sure - but the pie always remains in the pie safe. It's a genetic universal law that can't be altered. Anyone who offers a treasure map to you is pissing on your leg.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread